bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Keeps You Grounded  (Read 12873 times)

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
Re: What Keeps You Grounded
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 03:35:34 PM »

Well, I wasn't closing out the topic, if anybody else has comments they're more than welcome!
I do want to say what I'm looking for:

I'm looking for examples of times when you thought what you believed was being challenged by another belief but something brought you back to what you believed was true. (I assume you believe scripture is true, if not you can't help me)

The simplest example would be Jesus being tempted in the wilderness. His comfort was in what is true(scripture)

Have your foundational beliefs been challenged?
Has anyone tried to tell you different but your comfort was in what you believe to be truth
(assuming you believe scripture is truth!)
What scripture kept you from yielding to temptation?
What scripture kept you from changing your mind?

I hope this helps give a clear picture.
I thank the ones who have answered so far!

Keep the topic rolling if you like!
Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

River

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 04:22:47 PM »

Akira329,

Even if someone believes the scriptures are true, that doesn't mean they understand them correctly. Many here believed the scriptures were true and yet they now believe something else. So I guess what your asking is what scriptures that help you in your current understanding? Your post confuses me because it seems to imply "what you believe to be truth" and the truth of the scriptures. These are two complete different things. Could you clear this up for me?

Akira329

• "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 05:54:43 PM »

Nevermind,
I also assumed we on this site believed the same things.
Carry on.....
Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

GaryK

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 03:14:27 PM »

Nevermind,
I also assumed we on this site believed the same things.Carry on.....
Antaiwan

Allow me to apologize for the prior hijacking of your thread Antaiwan. I was responding to Arcuturus more than to your original posting and question, sorry, although I did give a scripture as a required response.

I understand what you’re saying.   It appears you and maybe others want to know words to make all things assured and confident on a steady basis, words that can be recalled, at will, so sinking ground appears solid.  Nothing wrong with that, who doesn’t, me included.   Every bookstore has shelf-loads of ‘self-help’ books with solid sounding words, but I’ll bet the overall success rate of any is laughable.

My thrust of response back to Arc was that somewhere down the road one will come to where words of scripture and life, or life experiences, don’t exactly neatly parallel like you once believed they should no matter how hard one tries to make it so.  Suddenly words that can be recalled, by the human will, don’t look and feel so solid because the human understanding and God’s purpose appear to be at war.   It’s then the words that can be recalled by the human will aren’t enough and one wants and needs a stirring in the soul kind of hearing.  The challenge isn’t so much a mountain of ‘word ’ to be learned, leaned on, and recalled but a mountain of empathy, sympathy and compassion to be felt.  When Arcturus mentioned the “die before you die”, that’s what came to mind.  Jesus knew words too, but he always showed an endless supply of compassion.  That’s where the solid is in my opinion.  It measures up to this crusty so and so, just not to your thread.

People are introduced into this forum every day with a ‘different’ set of beliefs…………….and THEN we begin to learn in cohesion.  To assume we’re all on the same page at the same time is presumptuous.

gmik

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 07:12:57 PM »

great topic!  I have enjoyed the posts.

I don't even know if I am grounded!!  Had it not been for the structure of 30 years in Babylon I don't know if I could have kept up "no structure" for these last 6 years w/ Ray.

Some of my Babylonian friends think I am def. backslidden!  For a year and a half I have attended a women's bible study every week (just to go out to lunch w/ some old friends).  Fortunately it is not very doctrinal nor very deep so I can stomach it.  At lunch, the gals and I just don't mention certain "topics" that they know I don't agree with.  but at least this makes me get into scripture.

I just believe what I believe, I know what I know and try to live my life.  I don't formally "pray" that much unless I have said I would for someone.  I love Jesus and hope that is enough.  For 30 years I DID christianity, now I am trying to LIVE it- not by preaching to my neighbors but by being a good neigbor. 

That kind of thing!  simple and basic....some would look and say she is doing nothing!  ha

I got an e mail today from a cousin I haven't seen in 10 years but when she was a child I "led her to the Lord". Apparently she never forgot.  She asked me today if God would get tired of her excuses of a sorry life and wash His hands of her!!!
I wrote her of His neverending Love affair w/ us and she responded so happy and full of awe for Jesus.  So maybe I don't just do nothing!  Again, simple and basic.

Haven't been on in awhile.  this was a great thread.

rsks

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 03:18:49 PM »

Hello all,

Great reading all of your posts!  My husband and I have been commenting to each other as I have been reading this to him.  His reply to the question posed was....."The big picture".  Seeing, living and learning every day more about God and His "Big picture". 

The journey has been a difficult one.  So many people think we are heretics for believing in the salvation of all.  It feels like we are "outsiders" in many instances.  But neither of us would trade the blessing of this knowledge for anything the world has to offer, that is for sure!

We love you all.  It is such a blessing to be able to "be" with people of like mind!  Prayers for our dear sweet Ray and "Keep your eye on the prize"!

cjwood

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 02:17:26 AM »

gina, your post spoke volumes in its' simplicity.  i have missed your sweet, simple words.

claudia

indianabob

Grace: What Keeps You Grounded
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 12:52:26 PM »

Hello folks,

Lots to consider in the many points offered here. All for our mutual benefit.
I'm leaning toward the simple, for my own life.

The simple truths are really all we need aren't they? We have been gifted with belief.
We found that God has a plan and as someone has said, "God doesn't play dice with the Universe."
The truth that has impressed me the most is that my ancestors and my children and I  "shall be in Paradise with Lord Jesus when he comes into his Kingdom". Does any thing else really matter that much?
Does it really concern me overly much whether I shall serve God as one of the elect in the first, the better resurrection or instead serve God through the Lake of Fire after the chaff has been driven out or purged away?
Please don't misunderstand my attitude. I am supremely grateful for the calling that I believe that I have been given. However, that appreciation and the God given or human desire to measure up to God's expectations for me, which after all is His work in me and not of my own effort alone and may be mixed with no small measure of ego to be candid about it, is still a fate that I can be satisfied with and live with in full contentment.

I don't know my fate or my future absolutely, I just know that I shall die and that God shall resurrect me and purge all sin out of me if that is yet necessary and I shall be a new creature with my heart of stone replaced with a heart of love.
I will be re-introduced to all my relatives past and future and we shall have so much to share and learn to appreciate that my life will be full every moment of the day as I fulfill the tasks that Lord Jesus places before me.

Indiana Bob

Stacey

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 02:22:41 PM »

Amen Indiana Bob, that's a excellent Micah 6:8 attitude toward this whole thing you have there. Nicely put.
Stacey

longhorn

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 02:25:35 PM »

Gravity baby, Gravity.  And even that don't stop me sometimes.

Longhorn

gmik

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2011, 12:10:01 AM »

Thanks Claudia!  Miss you!  Wish there was a conference to look forward to!  sometimes I think my posts are a tad too simple  ;)

space.ace.jase

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2011, 10:27:22 PM »

The knowledge that we have no free will and that EVERYTHING that happens is of God. Even when I try to deny it I can't, once you see this you can't un-see it.

This knowledge is basically the only thing that stops me going off the edge. Especially that I am back in the world getting drunk and hating God for putting us through so much evil.... round and round we go.

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2011, 01:17:03 AM »

I feel like I'm always being to colorful or loud when talking about these things. Like I'm boasting but I say this without it.

Music. My spirit is restless, my body is restless, i've been told i'm "ADHD." So I suppose restless is the perfect word for me.

YET their are certain sounds, certain musical tracks that will just bring my mind to an absolutely peaceful place and often times this place is filled with thoughts of our Father. It's the most beautiful place, filling me with the most beautiful filling. For reasons I just don't understand, I've tried but I can't, I don't, the Lord has never let me trully escape Him and I am thankful beyond tears for His absolutely undescrible love that no words could ever describe. In fact, even the most precise and powerful words feel empty and short in trying to describe how vast and without bounds His love trully is. It's a place I love going to, a place I love being in.

That's what keeps me grounded, His love.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 01:21:45 AM by lilitalienboi16 »
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Rene

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2011, 10:52:43 AM »

That's what keeps me grounded, His love.

Beautifully stated, Alex! :)

René
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.