bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What version do you read?  (Read 5318 times)

octoberose

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
What version do you read?
« on: September 01, 2011, 01:30:10 AM »

This must be my night for posting. I just put our plea for intervention on the prayer forum.
  Since coming here I've bought a Concordant Literal New Testament and a Rotherham Bible. I find these very helpful and usually look things up on a verse by verse, or chapter by chapter basis. However, I find it harder to read the Word with these translations when I just want to sit down and read and read and soak it in.  The  whole rhythm of the words is so different from what I'm use to. What versions do you read that are closer to the original language and that you love to read?  Is there another version that translates 'eternal' correctly and 'hell' correctly that I should try?
  Thank you for your input.

dave

Re: What version do you read?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 03:03:23 AM »

If you have a mind and the wallet, get all the translations you can. I do not say that you will have an advantage, but you will have many translations. That cannot hurt, but in the end it is the Holy Spirit who will give you the wisdom and knowledge as to what the Bible teaches with any translation. Pray and read the Word. ;)

stanstillwhite

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 03:30:12 AM »

Leave the wallet at home.  I have 32 translations on my e-sword and 31 of them are free. I did buy the AMP version.  This is great FREE Bible software and it makes studying scripture Very easy to do.  I do have to pick up the Concordant Literal New Testament from time to time because that version is not available ...yet.  I just carry my laptop around and call it my electric Bible. They also have a free version for pome.

loven

Stan

Craig

• There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 08:22:28 AM »

Just read the King James or New King James, with the Rotherham and Concordant nearby to check the translating.

Craig

Roy Coates

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 11:27:28 AM »

King James mostly with Concordant.

@ Stanstill here is Sword concordant old and new testament Concordant Literal Version (CLV): complete with Old and New testaments.
This site provides the clv for e-sword... but it requires registration.

This is for the 8.x and below
http://e-sword-users.org/users/node/226

This is for the 9.X and above 
http://e-sword-users.org/users/node/3175

jopie

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 03:44:04 AM »

I am reading through the Bible once a year, and use a different translation every time.
The Darby I found quite good, better than the NIV, ESV, KJV.
I use the Rotherham's Emphasized and the Concordant Literal New Testament for reference.

stanstillwhite

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 04:39:49 AM »

Hey Roy, thanks. But I couldn't get it to down load. I did find it and Rotherham e-sword mods here though:

http://www.alampthatburns.net/e-sword/eswmods.htm

Glad you said something. I didn't even think of looking on other sites.

HAPPY!!!!

Stan

onelovedread

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 09:58:29 AM »

I read many versions, but does anyone ever check out  "The Message"?
I know it's a paraphrase and some of large sections are interpreted too freely, but it does have .... a message.
And it's more uplifting than a 'secular' novel:)
I enjoy it although I realize that it could never take the place of more serious translations like Concordant, KJV, AMP or NIV.

octoberose

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 12:25:59 PM »

Thank you! You've brought me some ideas I didn't have before. I'm looking up the e versions I don't already have and I didn't know about the Darby so I'm looking forward to seeing that, and I really liked the idea of reading through a different version every year. Funny that until I came here almost two years ago that the Bible was becoming a bit stale and familiar; now I know I have so much to learn and to be revealed and the Word is never stale!

markn902

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 06:29:04 PM »

I like my Emphatic Diaglott but is NT only

Foxx

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 06:42:51 PM »

Young's Literal Translation and a King James are the two I use. I have others but I rarely seem to use them. NIV (terrible translation in my opinion) and an ESV. 

The Young's is by far my favorite though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.