bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seems odd.  (Read 5452 times)

River

Seems odd.
« on: September 07, 2011, 12:42:55 PM »

It seems odd to me how you can know people who might fully understand things like no free will, no hell, salvation for all etc. but fall for other cons that are much more simple. Where does the role of knowledge and wisdom come in to play on things like this? This has been on my mind for quite some time now. Can anyone help me here?

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Seems odd.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 05:22:45 PM »

I've also have wondered the same thing.   Just some thoughts.  Of course knowledge and wisdom are important--more precisely, the GAINING of knowledge and wisdom is important.  Not only did the apostles 'learn' in the course of life, but the Lord Himself. 

If I'm understanding your question, I just remember that everybody (including me) came from somewhere else.  What may be simple for one is life-changingly difficult for another.  Ultimately, much of what we might call knowledge will burn up--either it will be proven to be so full of holes as to be worthless, or it will become irrelevant.  What's wise, true and perfect is at the end of all this.  That's part of the process.  Judgement is educational.  Hopefully we're going through that now, though we (I) may still be in kiddie-garden.

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

arion

• Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 05:56:11 PM »

Cons like electing the same people term after term and falling for the same empty promises?   :D ;D

I think a big part of the gaining of wisdom is maturity and learning through life experiences.  Over time you see the same thing play out time after time and you come to understand there is nothing new under the sun.  The basic human emotions as lust, greed, pride, envy, ect can cloud anyones discernment and that is something were all susceptible to although hopefully as we grow older and God is working in us we don't fall for the same things and we mature out of other things.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 06:00:04 PM by Arion »

River

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 08:24:24 PM »

Thanks Dave and Arion. Good responses. And I like the joke Arion on the politics.  ;)

So if we are asked by someone are we to say that knowledge plays no part in understanding the scriptures? Is not the part of getting your eyes opened to gain correct knowledge? Thanks in advance.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 08:57:45 PM »

Ask Ray.   ;D

I can't read B-T.com and come to the conclusion that knowledge has no part in understanding the Scriptures.  A lot of things may come as 'inspiration', but I don't think knowledge and wisdom fall into that category.  I don't know of any scripture that says they do, anyways...could be wrong.

I believed the Gospel over the course of one night's reading...after 50+ years of living.  Like overnight stardom after many years of playing dives.   :D  God didn't suddenly become Sovereign when He wasn't before.  I didn't lose my 'free-will', as I'd never had it to begin with.  God was all the time reconciling the world to Himself.  I just didn't know it, and what I DID know, I didn't believe.

"The sum of Thy word is truth." is a very powerful statement.  Sponges like me have to soak up a lot, then get squeezed real good from time to time to stay clean.  Eventually we learn where the cleanest water is.  But even though I'm convinced beyond being unconvinced that we have a solid foundation on which to build, if the construction after that is shoddy, then what's the point?

Man, what a lot of metaphors in all that.  Embarassing.   :P

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:32:11 PM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

cherokee

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 09:14:24 AM »

Here is a Link to an email about Knowledge that may help.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6555.0.html

Blessings,
Suzie

River

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 09:15:18 PM »

Thanks Cherokee for the hand in finding knowledge.  :)

dave

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 12:53:23 AM »

Ask Ray.   ;D

I can't read B-T.com and come to the conclusion that knowledge has no part in understanding the Scriptures.  A lot of things may come as 'inspiration', but I don't think knowledge and wisdom fall into that category.  I don't know of any scripture that says they do, anyways...could be wrong.

I believed the Gospel over the course of one night's reading...after 50+ years of living.  Like overnight stardom after many years of playing dives.   :D  God didn't suddenly become Sovereign when He wasn't before.  I didn't lose my 'free-will', as I'd never had it to begin with.  God was all the time reconciling the world to Himself.  I just didn't know it, and what I DID know, I didn't believe.

"The sum of Thy word is truth." is a very powerful statement.  Sponges like me have to soak up a lot, then get squeezed real good from time to time to stay clean.  Eventually we learn where the cleanest water is.  But even though I'm convinced beyond being unconvinced that we have a solid foundation on which to build, if the construction after that is shoddy, then what's the point?

Man, what a lot of metaphors in all that.  Embarassing.   :P

Very good post. :) I thank Ray for pointing out the verse "The sum of Thy word is truth."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.