bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pledge to the Christian Flag  (Read 22133 times)

Foxx

Pledge to the Christian Flag
« on: September 08, 2011, 01:05:03 PM »

So when I was a kid in private school they would have recite this pledge right after the Pledge of Allegience

"I pledge allegiance to the Christian Flag, and to the Savior, for whose kingdom it stands. One Savior, crucified, risen and coming again, with life and liberty for all who believe."

I was thinking about this today and thought in retrospect how little spiritual significance it has. Every week we were required to pledge to both the American flag and this babylonian nonsense. At any rate does anyone else have any experience with this particular "rite" that was asked by many children at Churches or private school? I did it just because we were told to but I wonder what the consequences would have been for those who refused? Suspension? Expulsion? Damnation? HA! Well I doubt the last one in all reality but the first two potentially...seeing as how understanding and non-judgmental everyone at these facilities were.... *cough cough*  :-X

Any knowledge from where it originated?  I presume most people here know what the so called "Christian" flag looks like but here is a picture just in case.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 01:08:42 PM by Foxx »

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Pledge to the Christian Flag
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 02:56:51 PM »

Oh yeah.  I did and led pledges.  There was certainly one standing in the auditorium in at least the last church I attended (about 15 yrs).  I think the adults only did the pledge on patriotic holidays along with the pledge of allegiance to the American flag.  But I most recall it being a part of every day at Vacation Bible School in the summers.

I'd like to hear the history behind it too.  No doubt somebody thought it was a very fine idea.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Akira329

• "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 02:59:02 PM »

Hey Foxx,
Every summer when I was younger, during vacation bible school, I would pledge allegiance to this flag and the bible.
Never gave it much thought.
It does however have spiritual significance, research the internet for its meaning. (Check Wikipedia)
But that's beside the fact that the object itself isn't necessary to pledge allegiance to Christ.
Christ is worthy of our worship not a flag.

Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

Foxx

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 04:02:50 PM »

Well, I know that "they" (whoever created the flag) made significance for each thing: the red cross, the blue squear and the white of the flag. I was just wondering when it first appeared if anyone recalls it from a loooong time ago.

If I had to guess I would say it was made in the last 30 years or so at most but if someone can correct me feel free.

Foxx

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 04:45:42 PM »

It looks like a cool flag for a Christian Knight to put on his lance as he charges into a horde of Muslim fanatic warriors.  What fun!

Good point John. Now that I think about it some variation of this "Flag with a cross" has been around since the knights templar. I have feeling it somehow originated with the free masons. Not sure why I didn't think of this initially. Especially considering my grandfather and great grandfather were both 33rd degree scottish rite masons. I have studied quite a bit regarding the free masons so this doesn't surprise upon further reflection

As a matter of fact, the mason's sword I own, which belonged to my great grandfather, has a flag with a cross on it being carried by knights.  Undoubtedly there is a connection between these which bring even greater significance to the UN-Christian origins of this symbol.

So yeah, thanks John for your random comment, it helped me think a little bit haha!

Also, I know there is an official story of how it came about but I wonder why it caught on so fast? Like why would it be required by churches to make children say this nonsense of a pledge?

« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 04:51:46 PM by Foxx »

believerchrist100

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 05:10:46 PM »

It looks like a cool flag for a Christian Knight to put on his lance as he charges into a horde of Muslim fanatic warriors.  What fun!

Good point John. Now that I think about it some variation of this "Flag with a cross" has been around since the knights templar. I have feeling it somehow originated with the free masons. Not sure why I didn't think of this initially. Especially considering my grandfather and great grandfather were both 33rd degree scottish rite masons. I have studied quite a bit regarding the free masons so this doesn't surprise upon further reflection

As a matter of fact, the mason's sword I own, which belonged to my great grandfather, has a flag with a cross on it being carried by knights.  Undoubtedly there is a connection between these which bring even greater significance to the UN-Christian origins of this symbol.

So yeah, thanks John for your random comment, it helped me think a little bit haha!

Also, I know there is an official story of how it came about but I wonder why it caught on so fast? Like why would it be required by churches to make children say this nonsense of a pledge?

Hi Foxx,

This thread sparked my interest a bit and I did some googling and found a couple of articles, here's one from christianitytoday.com:

The Christian flag dates back to an impromptu speech given by Charles C. Overton, a Sunday school superintendent in New York, on September 26, 1897. The guest speaker for the Sunday school kick-off didn't show up, so Overton had to wing it. Spying an American flag near the podium, he started talking about flags and their symbolism. Along the way he proposed that Christians should have their own flag—an idea that stayed on his mind long after the speech. In 1907 Overton teamed up with Ralph Diffendorfer, secretary to the Methodist Young People's Missionary Movement, to produce and promote the flag.

The colors on the flag, not surprisingly, match those on the American flag. White represents purity and peace, blue indicates fidelity, and red stands for Christ's blood sacrifice.

The first pledge to the Christian flag was written by Methodist pastor Lynn Harold Hough, who heard Diffendorfer's flag presentation at a rally. Hough, a liberal, wrote a fairly broad pledge: "I pledge allegiance to my flag and the Savior for whose kingdom it stands; one brotherhood uniting all mankind in service and love." Conservative churches generally use a more detailed version: "I pledge allegiance to the Christian flag, and to the Savior for whose kingdom it stands; one Savior, crucified, risen, and coming again with life and liberty to all who believe."

The pledge isn't the only aspect of the Christian flag that has caused controversy over the years. Churches have struggled with the flag's placement in relation to the American flag, its implied link between faith and patriotism, and whether flags belong in a sanctuary at all. For more on those debates, see the essay at the Bob Jones University website.

Hope this is somewhat what you were looking for.

Patrick

Ian

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 05:11:35 PM »

It looks like a cool flag for a Christian Knight to put on his lance as he charges into a horde of Muslim fanatic warriors.  What fun!

But I like Muslims...

As for the flag, it seems really kind of...odd.

JohnMichael

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 05:16:27 PM »

The "Christian" flag always creeped me out for some reason. ;D

DougE6

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 11:07:21 PM »

I have a Christian Flag flapping in the breeze right outside my house right now. I think it is a good tribute to my faith.

OK see my next post....

DougE6

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 11:08:13 PM »

Just kidding! JUST KIDDING! Just kidding. ;D ;D ;D

Go PACKERS!

Joel

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 11:12:18 PM »

I remember taking part in those rituals in VBS myself. It is amazing how the symbol means so much to the masses over the centuries, and the shape may not even be correct, as far as the one used for Crucifixion. ???

History, and archeology seems to indicate that early Christians before Constantine used the fish symbol rather than the cross.

Joel

River

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 12:57:52 AM »

Foxx wrote  " I did it just because we were told to but I wonder.."

The more I learn, the more I realize how just important it is to question what we are told.

Ian

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 01:13:04 AM »

It looks like a cool flag for a Christian Knight to put on his lance as he charges into a horde of Muslim fanatic warriors.  What fun!

But I like Muslims...

Christian Knights liked Muslims too....

Dead   ;D ;D ;D

There's nothing wrong with Muslims...

Stacey

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 03:18:12 AM »

Just kidding! JUST KIDDING! Just kidding. ;D ;D ;D

Go PACKERS!

Did you think u could just throw that out there Doug? Sure you did. Ever lovin Cheese Heads!  >:(

I always thought the Christian flag was kinda cool looking.
Stacey

stanstillwhite

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 03:38:00 AM »

I don't know, theres a lot of white background on it.  Couldn't they have put an empty tomb or a fish and dove on it some were?  Just to much white for this White.

Stan

Foxx

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 11:19:30 AM »

Foxx wrote  " I did it just because we were told to but I wonder.."

The more I learn, the more I realize how just important it is to question what we are told.

Children do what they are told.  Especially if you wanted to be a good Christian kid and not get in trouble for not following the rules. I didn't believe there is anything wrong with the pledge. Just a nice tribute I suppose. But it is only now that I'm in my twenties and after have learned all that I have hear through God opening my eyes that question such things...if not ALL things.

Ian

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 06:02:37 PM »

But I like Muslims...

Dead   ;D ;D ;D

Nothing wrong.....?   ::) ::) ::) ::)   Surely all human beings have a little itty, itty, bit wrong with them?  Allah Akbar.

Sure, they have some doctrinal issues... But they're good people...

moxicarose

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 06:30:20 PM »

Yes, every morning in church school...pledging allegiance to both the American flag and the Christian Flag. I did both without any enthusiasm..and looking back I remember a few times I wondered if it wasn't kind of a form of idol worship, but I knew better than to ask any questions! They used pvc pipes to spank us at my school..ouch. :/

markn902

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 07:04:17 PM »

I had never heard of a christian flag until right now. hmm I guess you learn something new everyday  :)

Ian

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 01:24:33 AM »

But I like Muslims...

Dead   ;D ;D ;D

Nothing wrong.....?   ::) ::) ::) ::)   Surely all human beings have a little itty, itty, bit wrong with them?  Allah Akbar.

Sure, they have some doctrinal issues... But they're good people...

::) ::) ::) ::)  Mark 10:18  "...No one is good except God alone..." (NASB)

I meant that they're good in the relative sense.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.