bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: worship  (Read 5469 times)

dre91

worship
« on: September 15, 2011, 11:36:40 AM »

What does it mean to worship God? What does it mean to worship God in spirit and in truth?

mharrell08

Re: worship
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 11:45:25 AM »

What does it mean to worship God? What does it mean to worship God in spirit and in truth?

Excerpt from May 2007 bible study 'Worship in Spirit & Truth' (http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,5312.0.html):

John 4:32  “But He said unto them, I have meat to eat that you do not know of.”
v. 33  “The disciples therefore said one to another, Hath any man brought Him aught to eat?”
v. 34  “Jesus said unto them, My meat (food - What did we just read in Matt. 4, you worship God and God only do you worship and serve, you don’t live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.) is TO DO THE WILL OF HIM THAT SENT ME…”

There it is.  Obeisance.  What is worship?  Obeisance.  What does obeir mean?  Obey.  Jesus Christ obeyed, “the will of Him that sent Me and to finish the work.”
Finish means to complete perfectly.  It’s not just to bring it to a conclusion, but to complete it 'perfectly'.

Now when there was a difficult situation, Christ always worshipped God.  He always did the right thing.  I’m just hitting the high spots, so you will get an idea of what true worship is.

Matt 26:42  Again a second time He went away, and prayed, saying, My Father, if this cannot pass away, except I drink it, Your will be done.

Even when it came down to life and death and something just very painful and very difficult, He worshipped God, He served God.  He knew what He was sent here to do.  He said, I’ll do it.  That’s worship. 

That’s what worship is, it’s not waving your arms.  I mean you can wave your arms if you wanted to, and you can sing a hymn or you can get on your knees when you pray.  But none of that is of any value unless you obey and serve God.  That’s what true worship is.  Worship is obedience.

Marques

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 02:59:45 PM »

Hi dre91

To know how God is worshiped, it might be helpful to know how God is, NOT worshiped, and why.

God is not in awe of things, money, clothes, donations or any other physical man made forms of value.

God is not worshiped  by giving perishable man made goods to a institution of man, like a Church. God is not worshiped if you pay your taxes to a Tax collector. Tax has to be paid to the State, but a Church is not a State institution.  Neither does any Church, NOR CAN any Church, represent  God.

God is all heart. God is love. God is worshiped accordingly, to His standards, not to the standards of man.

Worship is communion with God. Worship is a private assembling with God as Ray has taught. Worship is a heart to Heart with God, on a one on One basis, in secret, with the closet door shut,  as Jesus points out.

1Co 2:14  But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Arc

River

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 04:45:50 PM »

John 4:20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and you say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.

John 4:21 Jesus said to her, Woman, believe me, the hour comes, when you shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.

To me this sounds just like what I hear often when people tell you that they go to the (fill in the blank with any one of the thousands of different sect church ) to worship. Many of them find it impossible that you could worship the Father without going to these religious buildings. Jesus is our best example!

John 4:23 but, there cometh an hour, and it now is, when the true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father also doth seek such to worship him.

Isn't great that no matter where we are we can worship Him! May we do his Will each and every day and at every moment. And may we touch lives and be an example like Christ.

....he (Jesus ) went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed. Mark 1:35

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 07:38:33 PM »

Matthew chapter 6, the middle of the sermon on the mount where Jesus gathered His disciples together, contrasts what is 'worship in spirit and in truth' with what is not.  Seems to me to be a very practical way to differentiate for those of us hoping to 'come out of her', since we've been 'in her' to see the difference with our own eyes.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

gmik

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 07:49:31 PM »

To worship in spirit and truth is to OBEY....I understand that w/ my head-knowledge.

Sometimes I wonder to obey what?  The printed Word of the book called the Bible?  (the world has gotten in lots of trouble trying to obey that)

Obeying God's voice?  I thought I was for 30 years in Babylonian Christianity.  I then got sick of people saying "the Lord told me....and then the Lord said for me to....and then I said to the Lord and then he said...aaaaahhhhhhh"  can I get an amen? Many times what the Lord was "telling" people was exact opposites!!

I guess I try for the Loving neighbor as yourself, loving(being grateful, humbled)God for His plan.  Heart breaks for the awful things the world does to each other-then  how can you help just one?

Obey comes in many definitions I think.

onelovedread

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 09:43:35 PM »

So I wonder then why would the writer of Hebrews under the inspiration of God state: "Now apart from faith it is impossible to be well pleasing, for  he who is coming to God must believe that He is, and is becoming a Rewarder of those who are seeking Him out."?

Revilonivek

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 07:31:10 PM »

I guess we will know how to and it'll be automatic  once we know God. it's something that people intinctly know what to do when they love. Same way we love our children, it's automatic bec you know them, it's a matter of knowing.  Obedience and love God in everything you do but it's hard when one doesn't really know who God is. Make sense? Can't wait for Ray's paper on that one. Good post!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.