bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Parable of the Fig Tree  (Read 5783 times)

JohnMichael

Parable of the Fig Tree
« on: October 11, 2011, 01:50:05 AM »

Hi All,

This has been on my mind lately - in fact, the whole passage of Mat 24:9-33. It's been eating at me. However, for the life of me, I cannot see what it means.

Mat 24:32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree. When its branch is still tender and puts out leaves, you know that summer is near.

This is one of the signs of our Lord's return. Here are a few that "sound" like they are referring to the same thing.

Jer 8:13  I will utterly consume them, says Jehovah; there shall be no grapes on the vine, nor figs on the fig tree, and the leaf shall fade; and the things that I have given them, those who pass over them.

Hab 3:17  Though the fig tree shall not blossom, and fruit is not on the vines; the labor of the olive fails, and the fields yield no food. The flock is cut off from the fold, and no herd is in the stalls;

Jesus also cursed a literal fig tree on the way to Bethany because it didn't produce fruit (Mark 11:20-21).

Anyone have any light to share on the meaning of the parable of the fig tree? I know that the parables are one, but explain it to me like I'm five, please ;D.

In Him,
John

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Parable of the Fig Tree
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 05:42:06 AM »

John, I think you're on the right track, myself.

Go back to the beginning of the chapter and read it again...all the words.  Is Jesus answering their question directly and literally?  What are the 'signs' He's talking about?  Is it the 'signs' in the world that will mark the end?  Or the 'signs' in the church?  How long have they been going on?

"This Gospel of the Kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness".  A witness of what?  All the 'signs' He's already talked about.  That's what B-T.com is about.  Exposing those who contradict = a witness preached in all the world...a witness against and a witness of (James 5:3).

In what way are the parables one?  Jesus asked the disciples "How can you know all the parables except you know one?"  The Kingdom of Heaven is like...  The Kingdom of Heaven is like...  The Gospel of the Kingdom is 'many called, few chosen'.  There has been no mistake made.  The way things are in the world AND the church are the way He prophesied and foreknew.  It's the purpose of God necessary to seperate out His people.   

Now can you answer your question about the fig tree?  When you see the fruit, you know it's summer.  Summer came for me three and a half years ago.   

Hey...you said explain it like I would to a 5-year-old.   :D 
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

mharrell08

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 07:20:29 AM »

Hi All,

This has been on my mind lately - in fact, the whole passage of Mat 24:9-33. It's been eating at me. However, for the life of me, I cannot see what it means.

Mat 24:32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree. When its branch is still tender and puts out leaves, you know that summer is near.

This is one of the signs of our Lord's return. Here are a few that "sound" like they are referring to the same thing.

Jer 8:13  I will utterly consume them, says Jehovah; there shall be no grapes on the vine, nor figs on the fig tree, and the leaf shall fade; and the things that I have given them, those who pass over them.

Hab 3:17  Though the fig tree shall not blossom, and fruit is not on the vines; the labor of the olive fails, and the fields yield no food. The flock is cut off from the fold, and no herd is in the stalls;

Jesus also cursed a literal fig tree on the way to Bethany because it didn't produce fruit (Mark 11:20-21).

Anyone have any light to share on the meaning of the parable of the fig tree? I know that the parables are one, but explain it to me like I'm five, please ;D.

In Him,
John

Jesus says to learn this parable FROM the fig tree, not learn the parable OF the fig tree:

Matt 24:32-33  “Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near—at the doors!" [NKJV]

The same way you know summer is near by how the fig tree blossoms, you can know that the Lord's return is near by the signs spoken of in verses 4-31.

The parables you referenced from Jeremiah & Habakkuk are speaking of a different truth. They just happened to be using fig tree but they are not a spiritual match in terms of meaning the same thing.

Marques

JohnMichael

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 12:53:17 PM »

For more clarification:

Christ states that:

Mat 24:33  So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
Mat 24:34  Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Therefore, the spiritual significance of the lesson given from the fig tree is something specific to "that" generation that shall not pass until Christ's return. That is the question. What IS the spiritual significance specifically pertaining to that generation?

1. Mat 24:9  Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
2. Mat 24:10  And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
3. Mat 24:11  And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
4. Mat 24:12  And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
5. Mat 24:14  And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
6. Mat 24:15  When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)
7. Mat 24:21  For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
8. Mat 24:24  For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
9. Mat 24:29  Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
10. Mat 24:30  And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
11. Mat 24:31  And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
12. Mat 24:32  Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

What is the significance of the branch being tender and putting forth leaves?

In Him,
John

mharrell08

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 02:16:23 PM »

Therefore, the spiritual significance of the lesson given from the fig tree is something specific to "that" generation that shall not pass until Christ's return. That is the question. What IS the spiritual significance specifically pertaining to that generation?

None. You're missing the next verse (verse 33) which clarifies Christ's statement:

Matt 24:32-33  Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh: So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

1. The apostles ask Christ what will be the sign of His coming and the end of the world [Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world? (Matt 24:3)]

2. Christ then talks of the many signs which will happen before His return [Matt 24:4-31]

3. Next Christ tells the apostles they can learn THIS parable (the one parable aka symbolic words spoken in verses 4-31 NOT a parable of a fig tree) by observing the sign of the times. The same way one can observe the seasons of the year by how a fig tree grows "so likewise ye" can know when Christ will return by the signs that will come to pass spoken in the long parable.

The generation that Christ refers to is the generation in which ALL the signs spoken of come to pass. Whichever THAT generation is, not the generation 2000 years ago.

Marques

JohnMichael

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 02:24:58 PM »

None. You're missing the next verse (verse 33) which clarifies Christ's statement:

Matt 24:32-33  Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh: So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

1. The apostles ask Christ what will be the sign of His coming and the end of the world [Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world? (Matt 24:3)]

2. Christ then talks of the many signs which will happen before His return [Matt 24:4-31]

3. Next Christ tells the apostles they can learn THIS parable (the one parable aka symbolic words spoken in verses 4-31 NOT a parable of a fig tree) by observing the sign of the times. The same way one can observe the seasons of the year by how a fig tree grows "so likewise ye" can know when Christ will return by the signs that will come to pass spoken in the long parable.

The generation that Christ refers to is the generation in which ALL the signs spoken of come to pass. Whichever THAT generation is, not the generation 2000 years ago.

Marques

Marques,

Isn't it amazing that you just confirmed the thought that popped in my head just a few seconds ago (literally) as I was rereading that passage! The fig tree isn't a sign - as I first mistakenly thought. It is a parable in which Christ is commanding them to WATCH for the other signs listed before that verse - which coincides with other verses later in the chapter that command us to WATCH/BE WATCHFUL! Thank you!!!!!

I knew it wasn't referring to the generation that Christ was physically speaking to. I was referring to "that" generation that sees all the signs come to pass. I apologize for any confusion on that point.

Therefore, the last "sign" is in verse 31 where the angels gather His Elect at the sound of the trumpet. I cannot tell you how relieved I am now - this has been NAGGING at me for days now.

Thanks be to God for the understanding, and thank you for being the confirmation!

In Him,
John
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 02:27:08 PM by JohnMichael »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.