bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motivation to be involved in church  (Read 6633 times)

mharrell08

Motivation to be involved in church
« on: October 14, 2011, 12:14:11 PM »

FYI: http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,13551.0.html

After looking at this email, and other comments from my time here on the forum, it seems that fear is the greater motivation to be involved in church. When I first read Ray's papers and responses from detractors, it seemed that hate for one's fellow man was the primary motivator to follow the church's doctrines.

But it seems that more and more people are just going with the majority view in fear of what would await them after death. Almost as if, to believe in hell and free will is 'playing it safe' because of the unknown after one's demise. Of course when I say unknown, that is from their perspective.

Has anyone else noticed or thought on this?

Marques

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Re: Motivation to be involved in church
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 12:23:08 PM »

That is most of my family.  They hope I'm right but fear taking a chance.

Craig

Rene

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 12:52:38 PM »

But it seems that more and more people are just going with the majority view in fear of what would await them after death. Almost as if, to believe in hell and free will is 'playing it safe' because of the unknown after one's demise.

Of course they are motivated by fear.  That evil doctrine of eternal torment in a place called "hell," is a scary thing. :o  I understand why they would be fearful, those who believe this, or think that hell is a possibility!

I thank our Creator every day for blessing me with the spiritual truths I have learned.  We are free from such fear. :)

René
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 03:17:02 PM by Rene »

JohnMichael

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 01:44:11 PM »

That would definitely be what keeps the "deceived" going to church. They fear what will happen if they make the vengeful, petulant, vindictive god of Christendom angry. If only the Light of Truth would be revealed to them, that their fears could be destroyed, and they would have peace! All in God's timing though.

(MKJV)
1 John 4:18
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear: because fear has to do with punishment. He that fears is not made perfect in love.

2 Tim 1:7
For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

The "deceivers," on the other hand, I would say are motivated out of lust for power, pride, and greed.

In Him,
John
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 01:47:15 PM by JohnMichael »

Samson

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 02:07:21 PM »

After looking at this email, and other comments from my time here on the forum, it seems that fear is the greater motivation to be involved in church. When I first read Ray's papers and responses from detractors, it seemed that hate for one's fellow man was the primary motivator to follow the church's doctrines.

But it seems that more and more people are just going with the majority view in fear of what would await them after death. Almost as if, to believe in hell and free will is 'playing it safe' because of the unknown after one's demise. Of course when I say unknown, that is from their perspective.

Has anyone else noticed or thought on this?

Marques

Hi Marques,

I recall having a fear of Annihilation(Endless Death State) as the result of leaving the Jehovah's Witnesses. On an intellectual level, I could see some inconsistencies with some of their beliefs prior to fully disengaging myself from them, but the " playing it safe " concept that you mention in your last paragraph was a critical motivating factor towards staying within that System as long as I did.

Between 2000-2004, I developed the concept that they were in error in some ways, but I didn't know of anything better, at least in the Denomination sense. I had the mindset during those years that no Church System was without error, but I didn't know where else to go. The passage at Deuteronomy. 18: 19-22 had a liberating and calming affect in Me. There are other Scriptures that helped Me to move forward and never look back, but if I had to choose one particular passage of greatest influence, it was the above.

Deu 18:19  And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.
Deu 18:20  But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.
Deu 18:21  And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken?
Deu 18:22  When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.  (DO NOT BE AFRAID OF HIM).

This intense fear of a Church System immediately left Me, what a relief, but I didn't know what to do or where to go. I pretty much knew that the Mainline Orthodox Church Systems didn't have the answer and believed that there error was even greater, except that most of them didn't have the intense Legalism of the Watchtower System.

I believe that an Idol of the Heart where an individual considers themselves better than others and too "good" to receive some type of Endless Punishment is a prime motivating factor. The concept that it's going to happen to someone else and not Me, because I'm more special and superior than others is part of the spiritual blindness that they still possess and until they start to look inwardly at themselves for who and what they are, a Sinner, not worthy of anything through there own force of Will, the scales that lead to spiritual blindness won't be removed. Instead of the emphasis being: WHAT I DO OR DID, it needs to shift to: WHAT GOD WILL DO, DOES OR DID. God has to replace THE I in ones thinking before the process of spiritual progress becomes evident. Just My take regarding your thread.

Kind Regards, Samson.

Akira329

• "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 02:57:25 PM »

I would say yes. Fear seems to be a motivating factor.
Even for those who see and hear the false teachings but remain with the hopes of bringing others to what they see.
They are fearful and concerned for the others that don't know what they know or see what they see.

Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

CEO

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 05:00:18 PM »

Marques

Laziness and conformity.  Who wants to be ostracized ?  Who wants to stand up to hundreds of others?

I know, Ray, but who else?

Askseeknock

Charles O

newgene87

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 08:29:15 PM »

With that, I've become free from the fear of hell and free will; but my entire life has always been about goin to church every Sunday. And I feel like I should go at times. My question is; what should I do? I have a desire to go to church, but of course, they're the normal; hell believing, free will, trinity: but they don't push it tho. I feel like I should be in church but I'm the only one who knows about these truths in my area. Does anyone else have that problem?  So at times I don't blame those who still go to church or feel like they should cuz its just that security from church.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 10:02:49 PM »

Hi Gene.  May I call you Gene?   :D

Almost everybody has that problem.  One of the first impulses I had a a new believer was the desire (since I knew there was no church nearby that taught what I now believed) to find one that didn't 'push it', as you said.

My 'church-habit' was already over, but I still reconsidered that impulse for a couple of reasons.  First, it was a part of my 'witness' not to go, and the message of Rev. 18:4 was clear--clearer than many of the other truths I was learning at B-T at the time.  Second, it wasn't in-line with the main examples I had.  One, frankly, was Ray.  The other was Paul.  Paul didn't go to the synagogue to enjoy a nice service or have 'fellowship' with unbelievers, but to preach and to contend.  It would have been pride back then to think I was ready for that, though I had some dreams about it.

My strong advice is for you to be kind to yourself and patient.  Though its more important where our hearts and minds are on Sunday morning than where our backsides are resting, I truly believe it would be of great spiritual benefit to you to keep your mind and conscience clear of the place where you will have less and less fellowship.  If YOU don't decide, you may well find that they will decide for you once your boldness grows.

Hang in there.  Go from faith to faith.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 10:25:30 PM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

River

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 03:21:50 AM »

After a certain point when you realize how deceived you were and see that the churches are so opposite of the actual scriptures it is time to put your belief in action. Overcoming being a spiritual coward is rough. I have a friend who is learning these truths and I am seeing the hammer fall on her from a neighbor who says your suppose to be in church. The mind boggling thing is that this person who is saying you should be in church doesn't even go to church!  :o

spiritman

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 04:49:48 PM »

For whatever reason, the fear of going to hell never stopped me (or everyone I knew in church) from sinning.  I find I am much more at peace NOW then when I attended a church, though my wife says I can be a bit too arrogant at times.  Confidence in my God is not arrogance.  Does anyone else get that from people?

acomplishedartis

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 03:51:11 AM »

churches

I used to be a member of them (it was a couple of those christians neo-pentecostals medium size churches), first my mind got far away from that place and then I decide to depart and have no plans to ever go back.

Many people are dragged to these places because of fear, they are also the ones because of guiltiness or looking for acceptance, company, romantic relationships, others because of greed (they are told that if they tithe and give offerings that they will reap double amount! or at list more) and some just want to increase their self stem or because of simply curiosity. On big Christendom churches what attracts people the most is the entertainment; the pastors are fun and eloquent, dress nice and pretend to behave nice on their nice buildings. It is all beautiful, nice and clean outwardly when in reality...

1Tim 6:5 Eventually there's an epidemic of backstabbing, and truth is but a distant memory. They think religion is a way to make a fast buck. [The Message Version]
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 03:56:09 AM by Moises »

Felix

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 02:09:43 PM »

I used to think that working in church was like in the game monopoly where you could get a get out
of jail free card. But, this was a get out of hell card. If I did a lot of work in the church then surely
I wouldn't be going there.
Felix
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.