bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do we repent?  (Read 4619 times)

markn902

How do we repent?
« on: October 20, 2011, 09:12:09 PM »

ok so I am getting a serious smack down of a life lesson. I know all is of God and he chastises those he calls sons. I also know when face down in sin we are told to repent and turn away. My question is how do we repent? if it was easy as not sinning like we have been then that would be great but it seems sin keeps you around as long as it wants and doesnt care whether you want to be there. I know Ray has taught this in his papers but I,apparently, have forgotten and need to hear from other members

Thanks
Mark

DougE6

Re: How do we repent?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 05:33:03 AM »

Hi Mark
The more real God makes the First Resurrection to me, the less I sin. Sins, attitudes, weaknesses that I could not resist for years have fallen substantially away. Deep ingrained ways of acting, thinking, and relating to others that I NOW hate and am ashamed of have less and less power. I go for days without even being tempted in some ways that were almost automatic before. God will reveal to you what you are and how weak and wicked your heart is. You will want to change.  NOT THAT IN ANY SENSE I AM SAYING I HAVE ARRIVED PLEASE DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND...I do not in any way want to be presumptuous and claim anything like I have victory because I do not want to fall. I KNOW how weak my carnal flesh is, God has made that SO clear to me. But I truly believe Faith in God is like a virtuous Circle...When you seek Him with all your heart, and truly desire to be changed, He provides the POWER and even more WILL to accomplish the victories needed. DO not think for a moment your active participation is NOT required. It is. But somehow God teaches us great lessons, even when we fail we learn how weak we are and we learn how by flesh alone we will not win; yet we need the heartfelt desire and effort that God does reward.
I take very seriously the admonitions of scripture to overcome, to be worthy (obviously by His strength) of the First Resurrection. Somehow that understanding, to seek Him and want Him more than anything else in the world, can change one inside.

Kat

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 12:05:14 PM »

Hi Mark,

I believe repentance is a process. If God wants to rid us of a particular sin, the Holy Spirit indwelling will make us aware of the power that a sin has over us. We will recognize how our weakness succumbs to it and we will look on it with disgust. But that is just the beginning.

As we live our life and this sin continues to show itself to us, we begin to hate it and loathe our weakness to it. I believe this is what it takes to overcome. The more we hate it, the more we are determined to get away from it and it will start to decrease in our life. It is that revoltion to the sin that slowly drive it away. Because if we hate it so much, it will not have a hold on us anymore and we (only with the help of the Holy Spirit) will drive it out of our lives eventually.

It is a process that takes time, but God gives us the determination and through the power of Jesus' Spirit in us we can overcome these things that do ensalved us to the flesh.

1John 5:3  for this is the love of God, that His commands we may keep, and His commands are not burdensome;
v. 4  because every one who is begotten of God doth overcome the world, and this is the victory that did overcome the world--our faith;
v. 5  who is he who is overcoming the world, if not he who is believing that Jesus is the Son of God?

John 16:33  These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.

http://bible-truths.com/lake15-B.html -------------------

"Or despise you the riches of His goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance? (Rom. 2:4).

What leads us to repentance? The goodness of our illusionary God-given "free will?" NO, "…the GOODNESS OF GOD…" But can the carnal, natural, unconverted mind of man appreciate God’s goodness and then repent by his own will? No, absolutely not. Let’s read it again: "the goodness of God LEADS you to repentance?"

This is the one and only time in the whole Bible that the Greek word ago is translated as "leadeth." If you check Wigram’s Englishman’s Greek Concordance of the New Testament, you will find that this Greek word ago is translated into much stronger words than "leadeth." Dozens and dozens of times ago is translated as bring or brought. The word, in fact, also means to drive. (Remember that in John 6:44 the Father "draws" [Gk: ‘drags’] us to Christ?)

Yes, repentance is a process, but it is the goodness of God that does the actual bringing us to and bringing about of our repentance.
-------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 01:17:43 PM »

Thanks for the question Mark and for the answers Doug and Kat,
How do we repent? Reluctantly I would say.... the old Adam has a tight grip.

This is as you say all a work of God and especially the DRIVING us to see ourselves as weak and helpless apart from God's goodness working in our daily lives.
Sometimes though it takes several tries for me to acknowledge that I need help, that I need repentance.
I think it may be accurate that God has been actively working in my stubborn head for about 40 years and I have had many stumbling blocks placed in my path, by God I believe, to teach me the main lesson that I need to know and continually need reinforced until I take my last breath. Apart from God's spirit I am dead.

Thanks again for the leading (driving) of His spirit.
Indiana Bob

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 05:03:08 PM »

Hi Mark.  You know, plowing is sin for the wicked.  (Pro 21:4)

If repentance is a change of heart and mind with actions following, as I believe it is, then it doesn't happen in a vaccum.  Keep putting the GOOD stuff in.  When reading scripture, never lose sight of the Gospel of the Kingdom.  It's everywhere, not just in a few parables spoken by Jesus.

Rev 2:5  Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

You know what those first works are better than any theologian of Christendom.  Your post indicates you do.   

Rom 1:16,17  For I have no feeling of shame about the good news, because it is the power of God giving salvation to everyone who has faith, to the Jew first, and then to the Greek.  For in it there is the revelation of the righteousness of God from faith to faith: as it is said in the holy Writings, The man who does righteousness will be living by his faith.

Keep reading there and see the Gospel of the Kingdom being preached.  There's not a minister of Satan who understands.

Hang in there, Mark, from faith to faith.

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.