bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bring us not into temptation?  (Read 4502 times)

newgene87

bring us not into temptation?
« on: October 21, 2011, 12:59:06 AM »

Just noticed something apart of the "so-called" Lords Prayer; and its really just confusion on a segment of it . Why did Jesus teach us to pray the "concept" of asking for God to "bring us not into temptation (or trials), but deliver us from evil" (Matthew 6:13) but James tells us to "Count it all joy when we fall into divers trials (same as temptations....I THINK...I don't have a strongs concordance on hand but my companion bible is referencing this), knowing that the trying of your faith works patience" (James 1:2-3). It seems to me that its the very "trying" of our faith, or us being "brought" into trial is the very thing that "works patience", which we need, and strengthens our faith. Does anyone else see what I mean?? Like why should we pray to not be brought into temptation or trial when that is, first of all, INEVITABLE, as a follower of Christ; and its needed since its like basic training for our faith. And then he adds in verse 13 "blessed are those who ENDURE (my understanding we have to be brought to temptation to endure) temptations (same word I hope) for they shall receive a crown of life".  Hopefully someone can expound for me. I'm not proclaiming a contradiction. Just need some help. Thanks :)

G. Driggs

Re: bring us not into temptation?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 09:36:11 AM »

Heres a couple different translations that might help.

NIrV
Mat 6:13  Keep us from falling into sin when we are tempted. Save us from the evil one.'

NLT
Mat 6:13  And don't let us yield to temptation,  but rescue us from the evil one. [For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.]

GNB
Mat 6:13  Do not bring us to hard testing, but keep us safe from the Evil One.'

1Co 10:13  There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

mharrell08

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 02:24:45 PM »

Like why should we pray to not be brought into temptation or trial when that is, first of all, INEVITABLE, as a follower of Christ; and its needed since its like basic training for our faith.

James 1:13-15  Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.

As you said, it is 'inevitable' because we are all sinners and will be drawn away by our own lusts. The prayer asks the Father to not lead us into temptation (since we do that on our own and God tempts no man) and deliver us from evil (which is EXACTLY what God does do).

Hope this helps,

Marques

JohnMichael

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 04:02:53 PM »

It is true that God tempts no man (James 1:13-15). However, even our Lord was "led by the Spirit" into the wilderness in order to BE tempted by Satan (Mat 4:1). Job was also tested by God at the hands of Satan:

Job 1:8 Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil."
Job 1:9 "Does Job fear God for nothing?" Satan replied.
Job 1:10 "Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land.
Job 1:11 But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face."
Job 1:12 The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger." Then Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.

Ray has stated that the "Lord's Prayer" is an outline of how our prayers should be. In a sense, it is an illustration of the concepts we should pray about. Maybe the concept of, "lead us not into temptation" is in line with:

Psa 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

If there exists a clean heart, then there wouldn't be the desire to sin in the first place. Remember:

Mat 15:19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander.
Mat 15:20 These are what defile you. ...

Which directly lines up with James 1:13-15.

Others will correct me if I am wrong, but there are times when God brings about the circumstances to test our hearts, and the majority of the other times are when our hearts' desires lead us to be tempted.

Hope this helps; In Him,
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.