bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: In Jesus name???  (Read 11924 times)

wisdom

In Jesus name???
« on: October 21, 2011, 07:47:47 AM »

Is it necessary to begin or end a prayer by saying "In Jesus name" or "In the name of Jesus"? Thank all of you for your responses.

newgene87

Re: In Jesus name???
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 12:15:45 PM »

Oh yes, I really need the answer to this one. Its taught like a cliche in the Christian community but where is the scriptural grounds for it???? I need this one too

Rene

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 12:31:15 PM »

Hi Wisdom,

I pray to our Creator many, many times throughout the day and most of those prayers do not end or begin with the exact statement of "In the Name of Jesus."  I do, however, address the Lord by name as I'm praying (speaking) to Him.  My prayers are not a "formal" kind of thing.  They are a continuous "conversation" throughout my day.  Sometimes I'm praising the Lord and thanking Him for His mercy and grace, and other times, I'm crying out and begging Him for mercy and grace.  It just depends on what's going on in my life at the moment. :)

Hear is a excerpt from a paper Ray wrote on prayer.  I hope this helps in your understanding.

René

http://bible-truths.com/praying.htm

SEVEN SCRIPTURAL PRINCIPLES GOVERNING PRAYER

[1] "And this is the confidence that we have in Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, [everything in heaven and earth must be in accord with God’s will {His purpose and plan, Eph. 1:11} or it won’t happen] He hears us: And if we know that He hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of Him" (I John 5:14-15).

[2] "Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, [I cannot stress enough the importance of a clean and clear conscience] then have we confidence toward God. And whatsoever we ask, we receive of Him, because we…

[3] keep His commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in His sight…

[4] And this is His commandment, That we should believe on the Name [and everything that that Name stands for and represents] of His Son Jesus Christ…

[5] And love one another, as He gave us commandment" (I John 3:21-23).

[6] "Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts [so don’t think that it’s okay to pray for your Mother to hit the Lotto Jackpot either, as I believe that God can see through such feigned benevolence]" (James 4:3).

[7] "And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing [Having faith and trust, not just hoping and wishing. True faith can be based only on God’s Word—see James 1:6-7] ye shall receive" (Matt. 21:22).

All seven of these principles are in keeping with "Thy will be done." We will now take a close look at a Scripture that cannot be discerned from most translations.

River

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 02:06:36 PM »

I think a lot of Christianity is magical type thinking. I know because I was involved in it from birth and up. It reminds me of when I was going to a Methodist Church (we went to many churches in my lifetime) and we had to say the creeds out loud. We had to proclaim the virgin birth and etc. It was ritual nonsense and we might as well been quoting Dr. Suess lines. Talk is talk and action is action. I know people who are amazed at others who can quote scripture and say what book and chapter and verse. Yeah I could do that at one time also. I don't work on that no more. I work on actually DOING! I can remember back when I was a great Christian man. But did I love my neighbor? No! Did I love my enemies? No! I haven't obtained any sort of perfection but I now actually have some sort of real substance to the words versus just saying them.

Matt. 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

gmik

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 05:47:59 PM »

Thanks Rene and River....

Used to think Magic and Christianity couldn't be in same sentence....now I know differently.. ;)

JohnMichael

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 06:21:45 PM »

John 14:13-14, “And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.”

Churchianty thinks that saying “in Jesus’ name” at the end of a prayer results in God always granting what is asked for. This is essentially treating the words “in Jesus’ name” as a magic formula. Essentially, they want to MAKE God do what they want Him to do - like God's at their beck n' call.

Praying in Jesus’ name means praying with His authority and asking God to act upon our prayers because we come in the name [and all that Name means/stands for/etc] of Jesus. Praying in Jesus' name means the same thing as praying according to the will of God:

1 John 5:14-15 This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him

Basically, praying in Jesus’ name is praying for things that will honor and glorify our Lord.

There is also the Scripture of:

Deut 5:11 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain: for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that takes his name in vain.

Vain: without real significance, value, or importance; baseless or worthless

What are the churches doing when they use the Lord's name in futility by carelessly stating, "In Jesus' Name" at the end or beginning of a statement?

Hope this helps; In Him,
John
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 07:11:43 PM by JohnMichael »

Duane

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 06:04:56 AM »

"In Jesus's name" is discernible..how would you like to hear the pastor begin church evey week with:  "Our 'revenly' father"??   GAG!

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 01:24:33 AM »

Let me state first ....I have no affiliation with the "sacred name" society or any other loopy traditions of men.

Praying in Jesus name makes perfect sense!.....I believe a BIG problem is so few know what his name is.It is WHO he is what he does by his sovereign authority...God (Yahweh) saves....Yahshua....When we are praying the "so be it" amen (Gods will on earth as it IS in heaven) we are IN agreement with him.

Prayer is God letting US know what his will is...and EVERYTHING he WILLS/does is salvation..EVERYTHING!!...EVERY knee will bow and confess Gods salvation (Yahshua)....when God opened my blind eyes to that it changed everything.That's the death knoll of the traditions of men religion and when the false  worship of "incantations" are buried.

eh??? O_o /cocks head
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Gina

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 02:36:11 AM »

Wow, Rex, that's right--Jesus' name is WHO He is and what He does, and we're in agreement with Him when we pray according to His Will, which is all about salvation.

Did anyone see where Ray said something sort of similar?  

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 07:52:07 AM »

Ray has taught about names written in the Book of Life, that isn't a literal Book, but the living the life of Jesus Christ.

Also, about the third part of trees that needs also be burned up in us.

These are stages, of many, in the process of God working in us, conforming us into His Image.

Arc

Ian 155

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 11:05:19 AM »

Is it necessary to begin or end a prayer by saying "In Jesus name" or "In the name of Jesus"? Thank all of you for your responses.

I believe so " I am the way the truth and the life, no man cometh to the father but by me"

I think the petition part of prayer is possibly like a court room we have an advocate and he intercedes to the father on our behalf ??

John from Kentucky

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 04:17:09 PM »

We must worship God in Spirit and Truth.  All special formulas of words or prayer positions are absolutely worthless.

Christians have some value.  Observe how they pray and worship and do the exact opposite.

Prayer is a running, continuous conversation with God done in private, in the depths of our heart.  There is only one prayer that is ever answered "Your (The Father) will be done."

Joel

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 11:13:34 PM »

Can we get wrapped up in vain repetitions? Sure.

I like what Colossians 3:17 says.

17: And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Galatians 5:16 is a great admonition.

16:This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Joel

Kat

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 12:13:56 PM »

Do not get caught up in what to say and how to say it, just do the best you can. God knows our hearts and understands any shortcomings we have and doesn't hold it against us when we are trying to do it right. Anyway it's not about getting the process right, it's what is the attitude of your heart.

Rom 8:26  Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.
v. 27  And He who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 01:25:42 PM »

If you take the meaning to heart, that is you have the authority to do something in the name of Jesus, which is the same as Jesus doing it, then it has meaning.

If you say the words just in case, then all it is is superstition.

River

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 12:55:48 AM »

I would dare say we have many superstitions that we hold dear just to feel secure and maintain a false religious attitude. Very good point Dennis.

Gina

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 02:54:15 AM »

Dennis nailed it.

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 03:33:12 AM »

Dennis not only "nailed it", he blew the LID off! ~ ;D

Gina

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 04:21:14 AM »

He nailed it AND he blew the lid off!  Wow!  That must have taken a great deal of effort! hahaa!!

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 04:28:30 AM »

LOL...nah... particle to a wave....ROFL

Where's the "wave" on the icons.....ops...not there! :D

~ ;D ~
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.