bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: God's name- Jehovah?  (Read 8799 times)

Revilonivek

God's name- Jehovah?
« on: October 30, 2011, 07:02:14 PM »

In prayer to his father, Jesus said:

"O righteous Father,
even though the world does not know you,
I know you, and these know that you have sent me.
I made known to them YOUR NAME
and I will continue to make it known...
"I have manifested Your name
to the men whom You gave Me out of the world."
(John 17:25,26,6)(ESV)-BibleGateway

"I will praise thy name for ever and ever..
Great is Jehovah, and greatly to be praised;
And his greatness is unsearchable."
(Psalm 145:2,3)(ASV)-BibleGateway

"That men may know that thou,
whose name alone is JEHOVAH,
art the most high over all the earth."
(Psalm 83:18) (King James Version) -BibleGateway

Is God's name Jehovah?  I just read that the Niv bibles are no longer using the name Jehovah to refer to God? Compare it to Niv versions. Scary.... they are playing with fire.

River

Re: God's name- Jehovah?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 09:55:10 PM »

Why is that scary? Do you know how they came up with the Jehovah name?

Revilonivek

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 12:48:37 PM »

No- I was saying I noticed that the NIV versions take out the word Jehovah in their bibles and only refer to God as Lord or God in place of Jehovah. They were taking the stern warning from the bible too lightly about taking and adding to the word of God. I looked up the meaning of the name, Jehovah- it means self-existent?  correct me if i'm wrong?

I did some further research on God's conversation with Moses. God's name, at least the one given to Moses  is "Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh." What does that mean? In biblical Hebrew, "Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh" is a deceptively simple phrase consisting of the relative pronoun "asher" sandwiched between two instances of the first person singular imperfect of the verb hayah--to be. "Ehyeh" is most commonly translated as "I will be." Asher is a remarkable Hebrew word. Imagine, in English, a single word that can mean "that" "who" "which" or "where." So the phrase could mean:

I will be that I will be

I will be who I will be

I will be which I will be

I will be where I will be

Does that mean God is saying he has many names and will be anything he wants to be... Jehovah, Elohim, Yahweh, "I am", and so on?

Thoughts?

Denise

River

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 08:05:36 PM »

I remember reading that warning but I recall it being in the Old Testament section as well and of course we have many books written after, so one could say much more was added to. And if that is the case then any sort of translation would fall in that category as well. And I have also noticed that the apostles even took scripture and mix matched it. Where or how would one know where to say what is exactly adding or taking from. Also the fact that many stories are told differrently from even the scriptures, so have the scriptures themselves added and taken away? From my studies on Jehovah, it is not a name that is found in the original scriptures. It is claimed by the Jehovah Witnesses to be the real actual name of God. I personally don't get hung up on the actual name thing. Even if I knew the actual name I don't think it makes me any more holy or special. Nor do I think of God as one who is going to actually pay attention to me or others unless we call him by his real name. I don't see God by a name, I see him by his Spirit. It does appear that these names do reveal something about his character. But I personally see him by the example of Christ. Thanks for your response. Have you read all the responses Ray wrote about the name of God etc? Here is one..
http://bible-truths.com/email11.htm#Yahshua

Revilonivek

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 11:27:42 PM »

Yeah, I agree. Jehovah also means eternal. I've noticed that the bible uses names that praise God to identify Him as God.

never seem to find scriptures that identify God's actual name. Ray says he knows God's name, so of course my curiosity sparked. But, you're right,  God cares more about the sincerity of our hearts rather than knowledge of his name.   Moses even had that curiosity, and asked him.  Still no specific name.

You know how it is, the feeling of when you do algebra. Math's all over and you want to know the answer. It's like a puzzle to solve. It drives you insane. You become curious to what the answer is and you have to solve it. Trial and error till you find it. Find ways to solve.  Of course, patience is a virtue. I'm going to have to wait. It's just frustrating is all.

I just want to know who God is and I feel I still don't know him, even though I've seen what he's done. It's like you know president Obama exist and you've heard about his work in the news  but you still have not met him nor know him personally.It's like that.  Know what I mean?

Who is God?  Bible says God isn't far from any of us? Is he part of us or around us? These are my thoughts on God.

River

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 03:20:13 PM »

I hear you. Lots of learning and living to do that is for sure. I relate with what your saying and I too await the unfolding of it all.

Revilonivek

Yahweh
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 06:55:21 PM »

Is Yahweh God's name???!!

Look up Isaiah 42:8, Amos5:8 psalms 124:8 and many others. Notice the capitalizations?

What if bible translators didn't want to write down his actual name so they used Lord instead?

Thoughts?

Denise

Ian

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 01:39:43 AM »

Ah, not sure if it will help, but...

Rotherham states in his preface of the Bible: "Erroneously written and pronounced Jehovah, which is merely a combination of the sacred Tetragrammaton and the vowels in the Hebrew word for Lord, substituted by the Jews for JHVH, because they shrank from pronouncing The Name, owing to an old misconception of the two passages, Ex. 20:7 and Lev. 24:16...To give the name JHVH the vowels of the word for Lord [Heb. Adonai], is about as hybrid a combination as it would be to spell the name Germany with the vowels in the name Portugal - viz., Gormuna. The monstrous combination Jehovah is not older than about 1520 A.D."

Ian

Re: Yahweh
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 05:46:33 PM »

Look up Isaiah 42:8, Amos5:8 psalms 124:8 and many others. Notice the capitalizations?

What if bible translators didn't want to write down his actual name so they used Lord instead?

Thoughts?

Denise

From Douglas Larson:
"'Jehovah' originated through translators squishing the vowels of 'Adonai' (Lord) into the Tetragrammaton, YHWH. In most Bibles the Tetragrammaton, which occurs thousands of times in the Old Testament, is simply replaced with the Word 'Lord,' and in the King James Version the word 'Lord' is written in all capital letters: 'LORD,' or in small-cap capital letters."

So you are correct in your assessment. ^^

longhorn

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 12:46:54 AM »

My head just exploded again.

Longhorn

Ian

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 03:31:05 AM »

My head just exploded again.

Longhorn

May I ask why?

longhorn

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 06:31:15 AM »

Just so much Info on these post that sometimes my head just explodes, can't explain it.

Longhorn

Samson

Re: Yahweh
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 10:08:33 AM »

Thoughts?

Denise

From Douglas Larson:
"'Jehovah' originated through translators squishing the vowels of 'Adonai' (Lord) into the Tetragrammaton, YHWH. In most Bibles the Tetragrammaton, which occurs thousands of times in the Old Testament, is simply replaced with the Word 'Lord,' and in the King James Version the word 'Lord' is written in all capital letters: 'LORD,' or in small-cap capital letters."

So you are correct in your assessment. ^^

Actually, no one knows the exact spelling of the divine Name, most Bible "Scholars" prefer Yahweh, but the problem exists as to what vowels were used between the consonants YHWH(The Tetragrammaton). Before the Tradition and superstition of avoiding the use God's Name arose they would verbally insert the accurate vowel points when pronouncing the Divine Name, but in Our modern times, no one knows for sure which vowels were used between those consonants(YHWH).

YHWH is used 6,933 in the Hebrew/Aramaic(Old Testament) Scriptures. Some have argued that whenever the New Testament writers directly quote from the Old Testament where Yahweh or Jehovah is mentioned, it should be used in that place of the New Testament where quoted from the Old Testament. This theory is based on the idea that Jesus and His Apostles used the Greek Septuagint of the Old Testament and that some of the older copies of the Septuagint contain the Divine Name(YHWH).

The main problem in this Theory is that We don't have any original Manuscripts of the New Testament available in order to prove all of this, even though the New Testament Writers had access & used The Greek Septuagint Translation of the Old Testament and probably used those older copies that contained YHWH. Interestingly, the Name Yeshua(Jesus) literally means " Jehovah or Yahweh Saves."

Below are some quotes from Ray on this topic, copied and pasted in blue.

rom: Wendy
When God gave moses the ten commandments  He said (you shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name.)  So what is his name since ( (GOD and LORD) are english titles

Should'nt we be using Gods real name and not titles. This is not a trick question, but i would like to know your thought on this subject. I can't get any preacher to answer me.

Dear Wendy:
    The Name of the God of the Old Testament is "Yahweh/Jehovah."  Also "I AM WHO I AM."
    In the New Testament Jesus never called His Father by any Name, Just "Father." No man has ever seen or heard the voice of God the Father of Jesus Christ, hence the "God" of the Old Testament is the Word or Spokesman for God, Jesus the Christ (John 1:1-3). But, as Jesus and His Father "ARE ONE" (John 10:30), we cannot exclude One from the Other no matter Which is speaking or performing.  Listen to my Conference tape from our Nashville Bible Study which should be posted on our Forum by now.
    God be with you,
    Ray

Dear Markus:

First, there is no such thing as a "Godhead."  It is "Divine" or "Divinity" or "Deity,"

and it means "that which pertains to God."  God the Father lived and spoke and worked

in His Son Jesus. In his body, Jesus represented God the Father. Hence, he told Philip

that when he saw Christ he also saw His Father (John 14:8-11).  "I and My Father

are ONE" (John 10:30).

God be with you,

Ray

Dear Kari:

No I did not stick my foot in my mouth. YES, "Jehovah is God," but NO, "Jesus is NOT His SON," as you suggest. No man has ever seen God or heard His voice. We are told this by Jesus Himself. Who then did Moses both SEE AND HEAR?  Why it was "the LORD," and just who is the Lord?  Why He is Yahweh.  And Who is Yahweh? God the Father? NO--Jesus Christ (I Cor. 10:4, etc., etc.).  You still have a lot to learn about this "trinity" stuff. There are no THREE PERSONS in a so-called "godhead." But Jesus and His Father are ONE (John 10:30).    ONE what?  ONE God.  And They Both have ONE SPIRIT, seeing that "God IS SPIRIT."

It's all in my paper. You just need to pay closer attention to the Scriptures.

God be with you,

Ray

PS   No need to answer back, I will NOT argue this subject and I have no further need of your arguments. There is no Scriptural proof that Jesus Father is Yahweh, and that changes all the theories of most of Christendom.

Dear Eric:

Thank you for your email and comments.

I just refuse to get caught up in all this "Sacred Name Society" business.

You used the word, "Messiah" which is an Hebrew word. But the New Testament uses the word "Messia" which is the Greek form of the Hebrew, "messiah." Should we use and speak Greek or Hebrew. But "messiah" means "anointed." "Christ" also means "anointed." Which should we use, Messia or Christ? Should we call our Lord, Yahshua, Messia or Jesus Christ?

And there we have that word "Lord." In the Greek, Lord is "kurios" and it means supreme in authority or Lord. But in Hebrew, Lord is "Yehovah" and it means self-existent, the Jewish national name of God. But in Psalm 113:1 we read,

"Praise ye the Lord, Praise, O ye servants of the Lord, praise the NAME OF THE LORD."

But "Lord" is "Yehovah/Yehwah/Jehovah" in Hebrew, yet you say "Yahweh is the NAME OF GOD" whereas the Scripture says "Praise the name OF the Lord," not "Praise the NAME LORD." Furthermore, Jehovah (YHWH) IS JESUS CHRIST, not God the Father!

Jesus also said that, "Before Abraham was, I AM."  Jesus Christ is the "I AM" of the Old Testament. Well, yes, of course, no man has ever seen God the Father, but Moses and others did see and hear "I AM" and "Jehovah." And God told Moses that "I AM" was His name. He told Moses to tell the Children of Israel that God's name is, "I AM."

And so, even those who make a virtual religion out of this Sacred name business have not a clue as that they are talking about.

It is not wrong to call our Lord, "Jesus Christ." Furthermore, the whole world knows Him as Jesus Christ, and they are already confused enough about religion and the Scriptures, that I don't think we need to add one more obstacle to their understanding.

God be with you,

Hence, Yahweh(YHWH) is Jesus and Jesus(Yeshua) means Yahweh Saves or Salvation of Yahweh, I sometimes "wonder," (not necessarily believing) if The Father and Jesus share the same name as another aspect of their Oneness. Every name in Heaven and on Earth comes from God. Often an Earthly Father will name His Son after Him, but with a Junior after it, so they actually share the same Name, but the Father precedes the Son.

Eph 3:14  For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
Eph 3:15  Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,

Php 2:9  Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
Php 2:10  That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
Php 2:11  And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Kind Regards, Samson.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 11:23:21 AM by Samson »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.