bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: the light of the body is the eye??  (Read 7682 times)

newgene87

the light of the body is the eye??
« on: November 04, 2011, 12:32:48 AM »

Can someone please help me on this "the light of the body is the eye" scripture?? Like I'm a heavy Rotherham, Youngs Literal and interlinear Greek bible user so I like to study the words and usage of them but this is one of the many verses which draw a blank for me. Like i know the word light there is lamp but even that doesnt explain. Even it's surrounding verses don't help me understand it. What did Jesus mean by this?? Greatly appreciate it.
Mat 6:22-23
22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. 23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!
� KJV

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: the light of the body is the eye??
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 02:31:18 AM »

I think the surrounding verses do shed light on what Jesus is teaching with this parable.  

As a simple saying illustrating a greater spiritual truth, I'm not sure there's any huge significance to what's pretty clear in the illustration.  The light/lamp of the body is the eye.  Everybody who understands physical sight understands light enters through the eye.  That's the set-up.  The point of the parable, as is the point of ALL the parables, has to do in some way with the Gospel of the Kingdom--somewhere in them all is the distinction between the called and the chosen, the many and the few.

So the Spiritually significant part of the passage is the last part of vs. 23 "If, then, the light that is in you is darkness, how dense is the darkness!"  I don't know if 'sarcasm' is the right word, but Jesus is saying that 'light' can be darkness, which is foolishness if we're looking at it naturally.  I have no trouble believing that what is presented as light--that other gospel--is not light, but darkness.  

Joh 1:9-13 (CLV) It (the Word) was the true light - which is enlightening every man - coming into the world.  In the world He was, and the world came into being through Him, and the world knew Him not.  To His own He came, and those who are His own accepted Him not.  Yet whoever obtained Him, to them He gives the right to become children of God, to those who are believing in His name, who were begotten, not of bloods, neither of the will of the flesh, neither of the will of a man, but of God."

That's the Word, the world, the called/many and the elect/few all in a few verses.

The rest of John 1 talks a lot about the light and is a great companion passage to explain the meaning of this parable.

Gene, that's maybe more of a sermon than a bible lesson.  I can only see what I see.  Maybe that helps you a little.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 03:30:33 AM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 07:29:11 AM »

Once God made himself known to Job, then only did Job concede that before, he had only known OF God.

First comes the natural, then the spiritual.

1Jn 3:2  Dear friends, we are now God's children, but what we are to be in the future has not yet been fully revealed. We know that if Christ reappears we shall be like Him, because we shall see Him as He is.

God makes darkness into light.

Psa 18:25  With the merciful, You will show Yourself merciful; with an upright man You will show Yourself upright;
Psa 18:26  with the pure You will show Yourself pure; and with the crooked You will show Yourself perverse.
Psa 18:27  For You will save the afflicted people, but will bring down high looks.
Psa 18:28  For You will light my candle; Jehovah my God will make my darkness light.

Arc

adiamondintheson

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 10:50:09 AM »

My husband and I read in the forum every day... and enjoy studying with you all.  This was a really good post and definitely deeper than it would appear in light reading of the Word.  We used our Sword Searcher Software and found this in the Pulpit Commentary.  Thought it might be good to add in here.

The light of the body; the lamp (Revised Version); o lucnoV.1 The thought of the power which treasure has of attracting the heart forms the transition to the need of a pure and steady "eye" heavenwards. The bodily eye is taken as the symbol of the outlooking power of the soul, not the soul—the inner man—itself, but its outlooking power. As the body is illuminated by the eye, i.e. as by the eye the bodily constitution learns its environment, and naturally, almost automatically, tends to accommodate itself to it, so is it with the gaze of the soul. If this be upon the things of this world, the soul perceives, and tends to accommodate itself to the things of this world; if upon things in heaven, it perceives, and tends to accommodate itself to, the things in heaven. The Authorized Version "light" is, therefore, imperfect, for the gaze of the soul is not "light" (jwV), but a "lamp" (lucnoV). As the bodily eye is not itself light, but only an instrument for receiving and imparting light, so in the mere gaze of the soul there is no inherent light, but it is the means of receiving and imparting light to the soul. If therefore thine eye be single. The word "single" (aplouV) presents some difficulty.
(1) If it meant "undivided," it would doubtless continue the illustration of the lamp, with an undivided as contrasted with a divided wick, but it has no such meaning.
(2) It states the opposite, not to divisions, but to folds (vide Trench, 'Syn.,' §56); it is "single" as opposed to "plicate," and therefore can hardly contain any direct reference to the lamp. Its meaning rather appears to be purely metaphorical, and the word seems to be applied 'directly to the functions of the eye in relation to the body. If the eye be "single" and (to use another but related metaphor) straightforward in its working, then the body receives through it the light that it ought to receive. So is it with the gaze of the soul in its effect on the inner man.
(3) Perhaps, however, aplounh is here used in the sense of non-compound (cf. Plato, 'Rep.,' 547. E); in this case free from any foreign substance to bar the light from passing through it. Thy whole body shall be full of light (jwtino). Well-lighted in itself, and bright in appearance to others.2 The word chosen seems to indicate, not merely that the body is, through the eye, lighted, but also that it itself becomes in measure, like the eye, full of light for others. All one's powers become illumined with the Divine light, and the illumination shines through. But if thine eye be evil, etc. Evil (ponhroV); ver. 13, note. Vitiated, worthless. As an eye that does not fulfil its natural function, so is that gaze of the soul which is directed only earthward. To limit tiffs, with Lightfoot ('Hor. Hebr.'), to covetousness, is far too partial an interpretation. Such an earthward and selfish gaze of the soul may often issue in selfishness as regards money,3 but the full meaning of the phrase includes very much more. Thy whole body shall be full of darkness. What the heart craves to see it sees; but in this case, not light makes its entrance, but darkness, which, as in the case of the light, permeates the frame. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness; rather, is darkness; the change here to the indicative (ei... estin) indicating that the last preceding clause is assumed as fact. The light that is in thee. Our Lord does not say, "the light that comes through the eye," for he means more than this, viz. that the very information, so to speak, brought first by the outlook of the soul, comes into us and remains in us. He assumes that this, which ought to be light, is darkness. How great is that darkness! i.e. the darkness (Revised Version)just spoken of, which comes through the eye. So, probably, Lu 11:35. If the gaze which should bring light brings only darkness, how terrible in its nature and effects must that darkness be! It is, however, possible to understand our Lord to refer in this verse to the natural darkness of the soul before it looks out of itself. In this case the thought is—you need a fixed gaze heavenwards; if your gaze is not heavenwards, it brings darkness instead of light; how black, then, must be the natural darkness!

Lord, help us to keep our gaze HEAVENWARD!!!
God bless your day
Connie

indianabob

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 11:46:58 AM »

Dear friend Connie,

Welcome to the opportunity to learn. I have been here a while and I also continue to be amazed at how much my understanding has been helped by Ray Smith and the scholars on the forum.

Regarding your contribution from the "sword searcher software", it is very comprehensive, but also difficult to understand or to glean understanding from. I have read it twice and still don't understand what you were desiring to share by quoting the whole article. Maybe I could relate to the article better if I knew the source. If you wish you could send it to me in a PM.
May I suggest that you try to put these things in your own words for the edification of those of us who don't have your background of knowledge.
Thanks very much for any help you can provide.

Kindly, Indiana Bob

mharrell08

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 12:30:06 PM »

Can someone please help me on this "the light of the body is the eye" scripture?? Like I'm a heavy Rotherham, Youngs Literal and interlinear Greek bible user so I like to study the words and usage of them but this is one of the many verses which draw a blank for me. Like i know the word light there is lamp but even that doesnt explain. Even it's surrounding verses don't help me understand it. What did Jesus mean by this?? Greatly appreciate it.
Mat 6:22-23
22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. 23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!
� KJV

Light is used to symbolize good and righteousness. God the Father is said to be 'the Father of Lights' [Jam 1:17]. Jesus is said to be the 'True Light' [John 1:9]. Darkness on the other hand, is used to symbolize the opposite: evil, wickedness, destruction, etc. Satan is said to be the ruler of darkness [Eph 2:2, 6:12].

When one has the appearance of light but inward is full of darkness is what the parable means. Here are other warnings of the same:

John 16:1-4  “These things I [Jesus] have spoken to you, that you should not be made to stumble. They will put you out of the synagogues; yes, the time is coming that whoever kills you will think that he offers God service. And these things they will do to you because they have not known the Father nor Me.

Here Jesus speaks of a time when leaders of the synagogue will go as far as killing His followers, in the name of God. But Jesus assures us that these leaders do not know Him or the Father. An appearance of light (offering God service) but inward darkness (killing Jesus apostles; not knowing Jesus or His Father).

Hope this helps,

Marques

adiamondintheson

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 12:50:34 PM »

I will apologize if my post seemed confusing... and perhaps I'm not really in a position to break it down and make it a bit clearer.  I realize that the commentary is a bit comprehensive... but we did re-read it... and found that if we take it quite slowly, and reflect on what's being said it does become more clear.  There are different aspects of the lamp and it's function, the lamp is not INSIDE you, shining OUT... but it's it's the lamp that enlightens our soul.. and what we should focus on.  The illustration seems to be this—We see only through our eyes. All the light that the body enjoys comes through the eyes.  What we put our gaze (eyes) on... is what will illumine our souls.  That's why we should focus on what things are good, pure, etc. rather than the darkness and corruptness around us.

Don't know if this helps...
and if anybody else has any thoughts, we enjoy reading all your ideas.
Thanks
Connie

Mike

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 06:20:27 PM »

I came across this the other day......

Real Eyes
Realize
Real Lies

newgene87

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 07:10:30 PM »

Indiana bob, you made a valid point. But Connie chose the right person for "comprehensiveness" :D. I read it and I receive the detail behind the wording and I love it. Then I loved your explanation! ! :). Thank you all cause for years I read this verse and it drew a blank everytime. God bless you all and I really appreciate it. This verse carries so much power for me now :).

The reason why I needed this cause if y'all have the small Gideon bibles; under "anxiety" is Matthew 6:19 to the end. And I was wondered why didn't it start at Verse 25. But I see the message under it all and I really appreciate. Through you all, God has revealed a marvelous truth to battle my anxiety problem. Thank you with tears :) :) :)

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 07:19:25 PM »

I came across this the other day......

Real Eyes
Realize
Real Lies

Brilliant.   :)
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

longhorn

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 09:14:59 PM »

My Head just Exploded again.

Longhorn

Revilonivek

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »

Interesting post. I def learned something. It as if he's saying, " what he thinks, so is he." so that is why Jesus wants us to focus on the positive side of things while striving for he heavenward goal like Connie said. Your mind that you set yor mind to makes who you are. Here's to positive thinking in a world as dark as this. We need to focus more on the light(positive) as we can get. It's the positives that sheds a light in our life and is a light in a world. 

Denise

cjwood

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 04:02:35 AM »

poor longhorn. i thought i heard an explosion earlier this evening, all the way from austin.  :D :D

claudia

p.s.  connie i enjoyed reading the long, comprehensive information. i did have to reread it a few times, and take it real slow. but, it sheds all kind of light. thanks.

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 01:43:27 PM »

I think this is from the "How Hard is It Getting Saved" transcript.

There are 39 parables recorded in the gospels, but there are only ONE!  The Kingdom of God is like this or like that; it’s like a farmer, it’s like a fisherman, it’s like a guy hunting treasure, it’s like a woman putting leaven into a meal.  It’s all the same parable!  You’ll find this theme, running not just through the parables, but running through the whole scriptures. I’ve just jotted down a handful here:

1. Many are called, few are chosen. Do you know what all the parables are about?  All of them, every one of them. Do you know what they are about?  Many are called, few of chosen. That’s what they are all about. Are you getting it?  Every parable is about many called, few chosen.

2. The Pharisee and the Tax Collector (Luke 18). Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and one a tax collector. And the one prayed inside of himself thus, I thank you Lord that I’m not like one of those, dare I say it, this tax collector over here, this sinner, this piece of garbage. I fast twice a week, I tithe all that I have… and this and that…. That’s what every parable is about: the Pharisee and the tax collector! This is heavy stuff!

3. The Wise Virgins and the Foolish Virgins.  Same thing.
4. The Lost Sheep and the 99
5. The Old Cloth on the New Cloth
6. The Wheat and the Tares
7. The Carnal Mind and the Mind of Christ
8. Judge Now, Judge Later
9. Physical Israel, Spiritual Israel
10. The First Adam, The Second Adam
11. Heart of Stone, Heart of Flesh
12. First the Shadow, Then the Reality
13. The True Gospel, Another Gospel
14. Image of the Earthly, Image of the Heavenly
15. The Tree of Good and Evil, Two: the Pharisee, the tax collector… You get it? The whole Bible!
16. Cain and Abel The Pharisee and the tax collector!
17. Some was sown in the good soil, and some was sown in the stony places
18. Seed of the Woman, Seed of Satan
19. Joseph and Joseph’s brothers
20. Sarah and Hagar
21. The Shadow and The Reality
22. The Law of Sin and Death, and the Law of the Spirit of Christ
23. The Rich Man and Poor Lazarus
24. The Faithful Servant, The Evil Servant
25. The Elder Son, The Prodigal Son
26. The Old Wine Skins, The New Wine Skins
27. The House on the Sand, The House on the Rock.  It’s all the same thing.
28. Eonian Chastisement, Eonian Life
29. First the Physical, Then the Spiritual
30. The Old Covenant, The New Covenant
31. The Carnal Law of Moses, The Spiritual Law of God
32. Physical Blessings, Spiritual Blessings
33. Temporary Blessings, Eternal Blessings
34. First Resurrection, Second Resurrection
35. The Image of Man, The Image of God

Are you getting it?  It’s all ONE.  God is ONE.  His message is ONE.  You just have to know what that ONE is. THE ONE IS JESUS CHRIST!  That’s the ONE.  Because He’s the first Adam, and He’s the second Adam.  But He’s only ONE.

And when we are given the spirit of God, the spirit of Christ, guess what?  We become ONE! This is so easy, but the greatest minds that ever lived cannot comprehend what I am telling you here today. This is spiritual stuff. There’s no other way to understand the scriptures, they will never.  They’ve got these theological seminaries, some of these guys have 8 doctor degrees (Kennedy has got 6: he’s got a PhD, a D of Divinity, D of Theology, D of Sacred Letters, D of Literature and I think one other Doctor… amazing!)  Does not know what the gospel is! Reads Hebrew and Greek fluently but does not even have a clue as to what the gospel is! Just amazing.  Here's a bunch of carpenters and roofers, God says, 'Here’s what this means Ray…'  But it doesn’t make us anything. We’re nothing! God calls the weak, the nobodies, to confound the mighty, there it is again.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 02:22:35 PM by Dave in Tenn »

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 02:33:07 PM »

Can I take the liberty of adding:

# 36.  The single eye and the 'sick' eye?

Let's see and hear what the Spirit is saying TO the churches. 

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 05:57:19 PM »

No, I've changed my mind.  I think # 36 is the light light, and the dark "light".

Amelia

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 06:42:28 PM »

Interesting discusion.  The way I see it is:  If God call darkness what we call light, we are at opposite sides.  God being the Light and we the darkness that He came to enlighten, eradicate, we are going to have to do some changing to our thinking.  "Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus....and being found in appearance aas a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of deth....work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you to will and to do for His good pleasure."  Phil. 5:13.  Once His Spirit calls us and chooses us, we are His:  inside-out and outside-in, so to speak.  We understand this Wonderful, Marvelous, Essense of Engrgy Being to be LIGHT!  But as a fetuses in the womb of God's love, we can only receive understanding and light in increments, as we develop in Jesus' own life.   We say we see, but Rev. 3:18 says we are blind and do not know it.  How great must the light be, if what we see is the light that Jesus gives us to understand, after all, He is doing the willing and the doing in us, Isn't He!   So if He created the darkness to emphasize the Light, how great is that darkness......Anyway, I can't hardly wait to see Him as He is at my RESURECTION WITH HIM!   It is all one, as Ray has told us.  The eye is our heat, our attitude to receive humbly and obey what He says, and as we do we receive more and more light in our lamp, (body).  That is way we are the light of the world, because Jesus is in us and through us, He becoes the Light to those He calls out of darkness.  We are headed to become like Chirst's mind as we are one in Spirit with Him!   Halleluia!

I hope I did not confuse anyone.

Love you all............................Amelia

G. Driggs

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 10:46:08 AM »

http://www.bible-truths.com/fools.htm

WHEN LIGHT IS DARKNESS

"The light of the body is the eye: if therefore, your eye be single, your whole body shall be full of light. But if your eye be evil, your whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the LIGHT that be in you is DARKNESS, how great is that darkness!" (Matt. 6:22-23).

What? If the LIGHT that be in you is DARKNESS? Isn’t that a little demeaning and sarcastic to say that even our own goodness is evil (dark)? This is not only an exaggeration; this is a physiological IMPOSSIBILITY! Yes, a "physiological" impossibility, but NOT A SPIRITUAL impossibility! Jesus is saying that even the supposed "goodness" (light) in us, is actually "evil." (darkness). How can that be? Because:

"…None is good, save One, that is , GOD" (Luke 18:19).

Joel

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2011, 11:48:19 AM »

Light, darkness, blindness, seeing or understanding, ministers of God, and angels of Light, good and evil are all related to the Truth of God or the lack of truth in the Church world and the individual.

1st Samuel 9:9 (Beforetime in Israel, when a man went to enquire of God, thus he spake, Come, and let us go. to the seer: for he that is now called a Prophet was beforetime called a Seer.)

Isaiah 64:4 For since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O GOD, beside thee, what he hath prepared for him that waiteth for him.

John 3:19-21 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.  But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

John 9: 39-41  And Jesus said, For judgement I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind. And some of the Pharisees which were with him heard these words, and said unto him, Are we blind also?  Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.

Joel

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.