bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pleasures on Every Side  (Read 6695 times)

Gina

Pleasures on Every Side
« on: December 04, 2011, 02:04:16 PM »

Pleasures on every side was mentioned by Ray in his email exchange posted today:

Back when I was going to Calvary Chapel, I hoped that one day I'd actually find God pleasurable, but I knew it was impossible for me with the message they were preaching.  I still cannot believe God answered my prayer!

Definition of pleasure: 

pleas·ure  (plzhr)

1. The state or feeling of being pleased or gratified.

2. A source of enjoyment or delight: The graceful skaters were a pleasure to watch. 

3. Amusement, diversion, or worldly enjoyment: "Pleasure . . . is a safer guide than either right or duty" (Samuel Butler). (Well, I don't know about that but I've been wrong before. lol)

4. Sensual gratification or indulgence.

5. One's preference or wish: What is your pleasure?

To give pleasure or enjoyment to; gratify: Our host pleasured us with his company.

That's a relief!  I have a smile stretched from ear to ear.   ;D

cheekie3

Re: Pleasures on Every Side
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 02:42:45 PM »

Gina -

Is there a Scripture reference for all the pleasures; as I seem to be experiencing nothing but great tribulation and suffering and have been for some considerable time.

Thanks, Regards, George.

John from Kentucky

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 08:51:38 PM »

Gina -

Is there a Scripture reference for all the pleasures; as I seem to be experiencing nothing but great tribulation and suffering and have been for some considerable time.

Thanks, Regards, George.

Psalm 16:11

"You will show me the path of life; In your presence is fullness of joy; At your right hand are pleasures forevermore."

Isa. 25:8

"He will swallow up death forever, And the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from all faces..."
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 09:05:20 PM by John from Kentucky »

Gina

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 11:08:57 PM »

Thanks John!

GaryK

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 12:10:17 PM »

Gina -

Thanks, Regards, George.

"You will show me the path of life; In your presence is fullness of joy; At your right hand are pleasures forevermore."

"He will swallow up death forever, And the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from all faces..."

Seems those are more future tense than present tense.

Gina

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 12:56:07 PM »

"In this world you will have trouble." (John 16:33) 

"...strengthening the souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith, and saying, "Through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God." (Acts. 14:22)

There's no pleasure in tribulation.  But we can have peace. 

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace." (John 16:33) 

Peace is peace.

Pleasure is something else.

How can a person hope for what he already sees?  (Romans 8:25)

I suppose if we knew what pleasures God has in store for us, it would take the surprise factor out of it.  I like surprises.

I'm sorry you're feeling down, George.  I hope you get a reprieve from your troubles.  I have to ask God for a reprieve from time to time and boy He sure knows how to answer that prayer!  Amazing.

Gina

Rene

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 01:25:03 PM »

Gina -

Thanks, Regards, George.

Hi George and gk,

The way I see it,  it is our future hope that should be the source of our present joy (pleasures). 

In the 5th chapter of Matthews, Jesus talked about true happiness and encourage His disciples to rejoice even in their trials.  Although some bible translations use the word Blessed instead of Happy in versus 3-11, the spiritual meaning is the same. :)

René

Matthew 5:1-12 (YLT):

1And having seen the multitudes, He went up to the mount, and He having sat down, His disciples came to Him,

2and having opened His mouth, He was teaching them, saying:

3`Happy the poor in spirit -- because theirs is the reign of the heavens.

4`Happy the mourning -- because they shall be comforted.

5`Happy the meek -- because they shall inherit the land.

6`Happy those hungering and thirsting for righteousness -- because they shall be filled.

7`Happy the kind -- because they shall find kindness.

8`Happy the clean in heart -- because they shall see God.

9`Happy the peacemakers -- because they shall be called Sons of God.

10`Happy those persecuted for righteousness' sake -- because theirs is the reign of the heavens.

11`Happy are ye whenever they may reproach you, and may persecute, and may say any evil thing against you falsely for my sake --

12 rejoice ye and be glad, because your reward [is] great in the heavens, for thus did they persecute the prophets who were before you.

JohnMichael

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 01:33:52 PM »

Though it is for the future, these are my favorite verses:

(NIV)
Rev 21:3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God.
Rev 21:4 He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the former things have passed away."
Rev 21:5 He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."

(KJV)
Isa 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.

They are not yet fulfilled, but I cling to these verses when the tribulation seems to be too much to bear. I remind myself, "One day... this present time won't even be worthy to be compared. One day!" (think Little Engine that Could story) :) As DougE6 said recently, the inner groan persists though of "How long, O Lord?" (Psa 6:3)

In Him,
John
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 01:36:52 PM by JohnMichael »

GaryK

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 05:00:32 PM »

Gina -

Thanks, Regards, George.

Hi George and gk,

The way I see it,  it is our future hope that should be the source of our present joy (pleasures). 

In the 5th chapter of Matthews, Jesus talked about true happiness and encourage His disciples to rejoice even in their trials.  Although some bible translations use the word Blessed instead of Happy in versus 3-11, the spiritual meaning is the same. :)

René

Matthew 5:1-12 (YLT):

1And having seen the multitudes, He went up to the mount, and He having sat down, His disciples came to Him,

2and having opened His mouth, He was teaching them, saying:

3`Happy the poor in spirit -- because theirs is the reign of the heavens.

4`Happy the mourning -- because they shall be comforted.

5`Happy the meek -- because they shall inherit the land.

6`Happy those hungering and thirsting for righteousness -- because they shall be filled.

7`Happy the kind -- because they shall find kindness.

8`Happy the clean in heart -- because they shall see God.

9`Happy the peacemakers -- because they shall be called Sons of God.

10`Happy those persecuted for righteousness' sake -- because theirs is the reign of the heavens.

11`Happy are ye whenever they may reproach you, and may persecute, and may say any evil thing against you falsely for my sake --

12 rejoice ye and be glad, because your reward [is] great in the heavens, for thus did they persecute the prophets who were before you.

I understand.     I just hope George, in his present sufferings and tribulation, can find 'pleasures on every side' and 'peace' out of all the listed shall(s).   Somehow I'll bet what you listed here has nothing to do with the good ol Calvary Chapel message that Gina mentioned in the original post, and prompted George's subsequent question.   

It's a tough walk George, chin up.  Things will get better when he directs them to get better, and not a second of time before.   It's tough, you can handle it.

cheekie3

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 05:20:58 PM »

All -

Thank you for the Scriptural References and your words of Wisdom and Encouragement.

The Lord has been bringing to my attention Isaiah 61:3 a lot lately.

Has Ray taught on Isaiah Isaiah Chapters 61 to 66 - and do these apply to The Elect of God.

Regards, George.

JohnMichael

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 12:09:25 PM »

Hi George,

He does make mention that the "trees of righteousness" and those that "mourn in Zion" are the Elect. I can't recall the paper/email that he mentioned it in though. :(

In Him,
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 24 queries.