bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quote  (Read 6654 times)

mharrell08

« on: December 06, 2011, 07:49:36 PM »

"At the end of the day, I suppose I am not railing against religion per se. I am railing against duplicity and dishonesty. It seems to me, though, that religion is a concept behind which many people find plenty of space to hide their true selves. This, in the end, turns people like me away from anything smacking even lightly of religious behavior because we have seen so many times the behavior of the 'enlightened" when the doors are closed."  - Paul Shirley, 'Can I Keep My Jersey?'

Rom 2:24  For “the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you,” as it is written...

Ezek 36:22-23  “Therefore say to the house of Israel, ‘Thus says the Lord GOD: “I do not do this for your sake, O house of Israel, but for My holy name’s sake, which you have profaned among the nations wherever you went. And I will sanctify My great name, which has been profaned among the nations, which you have profaned in their midst; and the nations shall know that I am the LORD,” says the Lord GOD, “when I am hallowed in you before their eyes.

Doing works in the name of the Lord, but then acting contrary when few are looking, blasphemies the name of the Lord. For as many people that are drawn out of the world through the works of the church, a good number are led right back because of the hypocrisy.

Marques

Samson

Re: Quote
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 01:49:01 AM »

2Ti 3:5  Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

2Ti 3:8  Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
2Ti 3:9  But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was.

2Ti 3:13  But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

Rom 1:28  And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
Rom 1:29  Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
Rom 1:30  Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
Rom 1:31  Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
Rom 1:32  Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Gina

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 02:16:04 AM »

Ohhhh, so that's what "Just for fun posts and lighthearted banter" looks like.  That's a relief.

;)

rumpelstiltskin

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 03:18:38 AM »

One way Ive noticed is;
Ecc 7:16  Be not righteous over much; neither make thyself over wise: why shouldest thou destroy thyself?
I see that being done in the pullpit all the time.

Maybe Jesus gives us an example of this;

Mat 6:1  Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
Mat 6:2  Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
Mat 6:3  But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
Mat 6:4  That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
Mat 6:5  And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
Mat 6:6  But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
Mat 6:7  But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
Mat 6:8  Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him

The Pharisees told plenty of people how to live their lives, but did not do likewise
Mat 23:2  Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
Mat 23:3  All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
Mat 23:4  For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers

Tom

If you want to know what God thinks of money,just look at the people he gave it to
Dorothy Parker

JohnMichael

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 12:27:32 PM »

Hi Marques,

This post had a profound effect on me. We all know how the flesh likes to plot and scheme. The effect that this post had on me was to provide some ammo against the flesh/carnal beast. Even if no one else saw what we did, the Lord sees all. If we did those things that we know are wrong, we've just dragged our Lord's name through the mud. We've essentially broken the Third Commandment in spirit. We've just taken the Lord's name in vain/futility, and the Scriptures say He will not hold guiltless those that do that. Translation: Big, BIG No-No. There are also the verses that talk about treating Christ's sacrifice as an unholy thing, grieving the Spirit, and willingly willfully sinning that also apply.

Your post was well-timed. I needed some ammo against my sickening self. This post helped to take my eyes off of ME and put them back on HIM - where they belong. What would my actions do to Him? How would those actions make Him feel? Etc. In a sense, we are His representatives in this age, and if we do wrong, we are causing His Name to be blasphemed. There's always a witness.

Excellent post.

In Him,
John
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 12:36:29 PM by JohnMichael »

Gina

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 12:11:33 AM »

Welp, I have to fess up, too.  I've been thinking about this very thing a LOT lately.  I see how ego (flesh) driven I am, and it scares me to think that, because of the scripture that Marques and Samson posted, so you can imagine my relief when T.G.N. posted those scriptures that he did (thanks, T.G.N.).

You know, I sit here typing and I'm relaxed and I'm peaceful and I wonder to myself, am I doing this to satisfy my flesh?  And the answer I hear is, "well, if you have to ask..."  And so maybe I shouldn't be here.

Gina
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 12:15:50 AM by Gina »

Gina

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 02:29:27 AM »

Thank you, John.  I needed that reminder.  That means I get to stay.  ;D

rumpelstiltskin

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 03:23:54 AM »

You did make a fair enough point Gina, there not the most light hearted of scriptures :), but just the fact that your here shows me that God is maturing your mind on how to actually exceed the righteousness of the scribes and pharisees and not equalize as many "holier than thou" christians do.

Tom
If you want to know what God thinks of money,just look at the people he gave it to
Dorothy Parker

Gina

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »

Thank you, T.G.N. 

"At the end of the day, I suppose I am not railing against religion per se. I am railing against duplicity and dishonesty. It seems to me, though, that religion is a concept behind which many people find plenty of space to hide their true selves. This, in the end, turns people like me away from anything smacking even lightly of religious behavior because we have seen so many times the behavior of the 'enlightened" when the doors are closed."  - Paul Shirley, 'Can I Keep My Jersey?'

From my personal point of view, Paul Shirley is not blaspheming God.  He himself said that he hates contrariness and dishonesty -- mostly coming from the pulpit.

Yes, acting contrary and dishonest while in the pulpit causes God's name to be blasphemed.  But a statement of fact is not a statement of limitation - as Ray has often said. At the end of the day, it is the law of sin and death in each and every weak, lust-filled heart that causes people to blaspheme God, and it takes only a little bit of help from Satan and those in his "synagogue." 

People like Shirley can say all day long:  "Well, so and so is up there preaching but he's not living the way God commands..., and that's why I don't go to church or do anything smacking of religion," and that's understandable and I wouldn't judge him for it or say that he is blaspheming God's name, especially when he hates dishonesty and contrariness--that's good!  So does God.  It's not blaspheming God to hate that kind of behavior.  That's good! 

I don't see the connection between what Paul Shirley said about hating dishonesty and contrariness, especially coming out of the pulpit, and blaspheming God.  If anything Paul Shirley is honoring God by not doing those things, right?

Rene

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 11:52:07 AM »

I don't see the connection between what Paul Shirley said about hating dishonesty and contrariness, especially coming out of the pulpit, and blaspheming God.  If anything Paul Shirley is honoring God by not doing those things, right?

Hi Gina,

Paul Shirley's comments are witness to the scriptures that Marques quoted.  Mr. Shirley has apparently seen the not so religious conduct by some who claim to be religious.  This hypocrisy is what blasphemes the name of God among the nations.  That's my understanding. :)

René

Gina

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 12:51:08 PM »

That's true and thanks for pointing that out, Rene.   But then Marques was saying that the hypocrisy in the pulpit is what causes many led to God to be drawn right back out into the world, as if all it takes for a person to be led back into the world and run away from God's laws is the hypocrisy of others.  

That's part of it, but that's not the end of it.  It's a person's own weak, lustful heart that craves the world.  No one is led back into the world against their will because:

"...the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed, it cannot."

Heck, Jesus was perfect and never hypocritical or dishonest, but even that wasn't enough to keep people from turning away from Him.  People like to sin -- which is not to say that we have license to be hypocritical because that's not what I'm saying.  It's like babies--they've been accustomed to breathing pure amniotic fluid for nine months and then they all of a sudden are forced to breathe air--it's no wonder they're crying when they're born! lol  They probably want to go back immediately to what they're accustomed to because air is foreign to them.  

I don't know if that makes sense, but I tried to make that as simple to understand as possible.  lol  

I have to go get ready for work now.............

(Please, don't anyone beat me up while I'm gone. lol)

mharrell08

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 02:16:33 PM »

That's true and thanks for pointing that out, Rene.   But then Marques was saying that the hypocrisy in the pulpit is what causes many led to God to be drawn right back out into the world, as if all it takes for a person to be led back into the world and run away from God's laws is the hypocrisy of others.

No Gina, I was not saying that 'all it takes' for a person to be led astray was to be disgusted by the church's hypocrisy. As you yourself noted, a statement of fact is not a statement of limitation.

The point of the quote was simply a modern example of what we read in the scriptures, that's all. Hope that clears up any misunderstanding.

Marques

Gina

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 03:27:05 AM »

Thanks much. 

River

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 01:20:12 PM »

Does mankind really need something to stand behind to hide? The way I see it we all are so selfish and ignorant. They may think they are hiding but it is no better than sticking you head in the sand. On that note I like to observe how those who shun all that is religious or spiritual use that as a cover as well.

gmik

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 04:59:07 PM »

Teaching for Doctrines, the commandments of men....

thats what I have been thinking on lately cuz I watched a stupid special on the History channel...about Angels & Demons, but they talked about the "church" in the middle ages---torturing people because they taught the commandments of men as tho they were biblical doctrine....ugh...so chilling!!!  Poor Galileo!

and still going on in various degrees----adding JUNK to scripture, then DEMANDING unquestioned loyalty to THEM...

arrgghhh...

OK, now, I have vented, and can get on w/ the day....and think twice before I watch another one of those programs!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.