bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Life in the Scriptures or Not?  (Read 8600 times)

newgene87

Life in the Scriptures or Not?
« on: December 09, 2011, 12:57:22 AM »

noticed something while I was thinking of the importance of The Scriptures and just how important they are. The first thing that came to me was what Jesus said about the Scriptures himself; "Search (Gr. seek, investigate) the scriptures; for in them you 'THINK' you have age-abiding 'Life (Zoe): and they are they which testify of me" (John5:38). Okay, from that I see Life or Zoe is found in Christ (obviously) and that's not the problem at all. Now to what Paul says about the Scriptures, well honestly my interpretation so, "what advantage then has the Jew...much every way: chiefly, because that UNTO THEM were committed the 'ORACLES', (Logion, utterance) of God" (Romans 3:1-2). Now from my taking, that's the Scriptures and just a simple accordance search for the usage of that word, its first found in Acts in Stephens Sermon, saying, "this is he (Moses)...who received the LIVELY (Zao) ORACLES TO GIVE UNTO US" (Acts7:38). Okay now, here, it's called Lively Oracles, and my question is what is the difference between Zoe life and Zao life?? And when I do a search for "Zoa" life it seems to mean the same thing as Zoe life but that leaves me with the question why did Jesus say that in Scriptures is not "Zoe" (or Life), yet the Scriptures are the LIVELY Oracles of God? I hope my question is pretty clear. I would really appreciate some pointers. Thank you

Kat

Re: Life in the Scriptures or Not?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 02:05:20 AM »

Hi Gene,

my question is what is the difference between Zoe life and Zao life??

Well look at who Jesus was talking to in John 5: Jesus had just healed a man who told the Jews that it was Jesus who healed Him. So the Jews...

John 5:16  And therefore the Jews persecuted Jesus and sought to kill Him,

Jesus is speaking to them all the was down to verse 39, so Jesus is saying this to the Jews...

John 5:39  You (Jews) search the Scriptures, for in them you (Jews) think you have eternal life. And they are the ones witnessing of Me,
v. 40  and you will not come to Me that you might have life.

Now when you come to Stephens in Acts 7, he is talking about Moses "who did receive the living oracles (Scripture from the finger of God) to give to us (believers)." The difference that I see is that Jesus was speaking to the Jews who were spiritually dead and Stephen was speaking about believers who had the Holy Spirit indwelling and are spiritually alive. Hope this helps a bit.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Gina

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 02:32:50 AM »

Hi, Newgene87:

Those are excellent questions.  The answer to the first one is, to borrow from Ray, the noun "Life" does not change meaning when turned into an adjective--"Lively."  

"No adjective can take on a greater or totally different meaning than the noun from which it is derived."
-Ray Smith
Source:  http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,11924.msg103228.html#msg103228

liveˇly adj
adj \ˈlīv-lē\
liveˇliˇerliveˇliˇest

Definition of LIVELY

1 obsolete : living
2 briskly alert and energetic : vigorous, animated
3 active, intense
4 brilliant, fresh
5 imparting spirit or vivacity : stimulating
6 quick to rebound : resilient
7 responding readily to the helm
8 full of LIFE, movement, or incident

Source:  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lively

You asked:

why did Jesus say that in Scriptures is not "Zoe" (or Life)]

I can see how a person would think that that's what Jesus said, but from my perspective He didn't say:  "There's no Life in the scriptures," because that would be a lie:

"For the word of God IS living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."  (Heb 4:12)

He said, "You pour over them thinking you have life."  It sounds to me like what He's saying is, "You're pouring over the scriptures and you think because you do that, that you have life, when there's a little more to it than that.  Like, you have to actually believe them--hello?"   ;D  

And, of course, believing them takes an act, or no less than a miracle, of God -- it takes the Spirit opening up our understanding.

I hope that helps.

I'll be looking forward to the others' replies.

Gina

« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 03:17:01 AM by Gina »

Gina

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 03:24:19 AM »

Kat, that's a very good explanation.

cheekie3

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 05:27:31 AM »

newgene87, Kat & Gina -

Great Question and very good Scriptural answers.

I believe that Jesus was also making a Significant Statement that Zoe Life was in The Messiah, and He is The Zoe Life Messiah.

Regards, George.

Gina

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 06:39:40 AM »

George hit the nail on the head.

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 07:05:09 AM »

A resounding Amen, to all that has been said in this Tread...Group hug ~  ;D

JohnMichael

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »

Hi Newgene,

This popped out at me as well:

Jesus stated the Jews (back then) were doing exactly what modern-day "Christians" do. They hold the Bible to a higher position than the ONE that the Bible is talking about. They made an idol out of the Torah (Hebrew Scriptures) just like modern-day "Christians" make one out of the Bible. Instead of giving worship to WHO the Scriptures are revealing, they worship the messenger. The passage in Revelation where the apostle John fell down to worship the angel, and the angel rebuked him, comes to mind.

In the SCRIPTURES, the Jews THOUGHT they have life instead of looking to HIM who IS Life.

There's the old saying of, "Don't shoot the messenger." Well, maybe it should be "Don't worship the messenger." :)

Hope this helps.

In Him,
John
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 12:03:41 PM by JohnMichael »

Gina

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 12:08:43 PM »

Yeah, Deb!  It's like a fine harmonious piece of music with no off notes, right?

Gina

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 12:25:51 PM »

JohnMichael,

Right on.  What you said makes me think of 2 Timothy 3:7

"ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth."

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 01:25:44 PM »

Yeah Gina...!!! LOL....

What a blast!

Good one JM! ~  ;D

Here's another one : Rev 22:8  I John heard and saw these things; and when I had heard and seen them, I fell at the feet of the angel who was showing me them--to worship him.
Rev 22:9  But he said to me, "Oh, do not do that. I am a fellow bondservant of yours, and a fellow bondservant of your brethren the Prophets and of those who are mindful of the teachings of this book. Worship God."

It figures you'd know that one John LOL!~

So Cool....~ ;D

newgene87

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 01:45:02 PM »

You all are AMAZING. I slept on this and woke up with a newer understanding and then I read y'all replies and WOW. Thank you all and collectively y'all nailed it. And I was wrong in assuming that Jesus said that Life wasn't in the scriptures; of course Jesus didn't say that. And i forgot all about the amazing Hebrews 4:12. And the second verse came to mind too, "for unto us was the gospel preached, AS WELL AS UNTO THEM: but the word (logos, same as in v.12) preached did not profit them, NOT BEING MIXED WITH FAITH in them that heard." (Hebrews 4:2). And that "word preached" is LIVING (Zao). Oh God is amazing and his word is truly sweet. Thank you all again and again. Ditto on the Group Hug ....soo..*arms extended

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 02:54:19 PM »

;D ~ Glory Alleluia ~ ;D

Gina

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 02:24:52 AM »

I love it! 

Hey, Gene!  Got any more?   ;D

River

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 02:09:49 AM »

I think I have found more death in the scriptures than life. And from what I learn from this site this is exactly the process that must come to pass. I do hope in obtaining life at some point.  :)

Gina

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 02:28:56 AM »

Very good point, River.

.... on second thought, I'm almost positive there's more life in the scripture than death.  At the very least, it's split 50/50.

On a purely physical level, that's what we see:  more death than life, because all these people and things have died and haven't yet been vivified.  But on a spiritual level there most definitely is more life than death because:

Isaiah 25:8 he will swallow up death forever. The Sovereign LORD will wipe away the tears from all faces; he will remove the disgrace of his people from all the earth. The LORD has spoken.

and

1 Cor. 15:54  When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory."

and many more, but can you see it?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 03:02:37 AM by Gina »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.