bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: the so-called "Serenity Prayer"  (Read 10801 times)

newgene87

the so-called "Serenity Prayer"
« on: December 13, 2011, 03:52:57 AM »

Hey again Sisters, Brothers and Mothers  :D. So I've been wondering about the "Serenity Prayer". You know - "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can change, and the wisdom to know the diiference" (I hope I got that right). Do anyone know the scriptural basis of this Touching prayer of Christendom? Since Christendom is considered "Babylon - would this be in their freewill, Lucifer, hell, unsovereighty of God file? Just thoughts. And I love to see y'all pull out wonderful scriptures I've never seen before so I can't wait for the responses :-D :-D. Or maybe its not scriptural? (I know its not a verse). Can't wait for the responses. This site as well as this Forum has changed my life for the better. I truly appreciate the love on here and the blessing here. Much Love

Deborah-Leigh

Re: the so-called "Serenity Prayer"
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 04:01:35 AM »

Hey newgene87 ~ :)

Rev 22:11  He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

Pretty cool huh?

Also check out the teaching at http://bible-truths.com/souls.htm

Arc

newgene87

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 04:13:16 AM »

Hold up hold up...maybe I dont have the ears to hear right now but that flew over my head....how is this correlated, connected, or contrasted???? Please please inform me. I feel I'm there but its not coming to me

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 04:23:08 AM »

You were asking about serenity right? ~ :)

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr

newgene87

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 11:40:28 AM »

I'm asking what is the scriptural basis for the serenity prayer?? What are the scriptures that back up the serenity prayer? And if that verse in revelations is one of them; then how? Please somebody

mharrell08

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 11:52:25 AM »

I'm asking what is the scriptural basis for the serenity prayer?? What are the scriptures that back up the serenity prayer? And if that verse in revelations is one of them; then how? Please somebody

This 'serenity prayer' is not based on the scriptures so there are none to support it. Some parts of the saying have a bit of truth, others do not.

Jesus gives us an outline to pray from (Matt 6:9-13), and King David gives many examples in the Psalms.

Hope this helps,

Marques

newgene87

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 01:07:53 PM »

Ok Marquee, you said "some parts of the saying have a bit of truth", okay, since u say that, do you know what part that is and is the scripture of it? That's what I'm looking for. And arc, what was your reason for the Revelations verse???

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 01:26:25 PM »

ops!.... :) After you Marques ~ :D ;D

mharrell08

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 01:48:35 PM »

Ok Marquee, you said "some parts of the saying have a bit of truth", okay, since u say that, do you know what part that is and is the scripture of it?

Gene, I don't see how that makes a difference. What good is a prayer that only has some truth? Just looking at the first two statements, one is good and the other is not:

'God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change'

There is nothing wrong with this statement, though I would prefer 'humility' instead of 'serenity'. But to each his/her own.

Matt 6:27  Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?

James 4:15  Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that."

'courage to change the things I can'

Statement reeks of free-will. Why would one need courage to do something they already have the ability to do?

Seems like an oxymoron. It's like saying: God give me wings so that I may fly like I can.

Also, why is this 'serenity prayer' so important? Why does it just HAVE to be disproved?

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »

newgene87, you ask what is the cause, motive, basis, grounds, rational, explanation or raison d'être, for the Revelations verse.

The I am that I am answer, is, God, and, God is Love. How’s that? ~ :)

No one has the ability to act independently of God. Man can create nothing, not even a thought! Ref LOF 15 A & B

Arc
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 02:30:22 PM by Arcturus »

River

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 12:49:41 AM »

Hey Newgene87,

I think I understand what your asking. There are many sayings and such that are not directly related with scriptures and the more you study you will notice that. There is much info that is parroted and assumed true but is not. It's almost impossible to talk and not have someone find fault in the way you present something. I'm sure you get the main idea from such sayings but at least your getting educated about what is not entirely or factually true in relation to the scriptures.

newgene87

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 01:14:43 AM »

Thank you Harrell for the scriptures; that was the main thing I wanted. And my goal is not to "disprove" it but to get insight on scriptures that either support or not. That's bout it. And Kate, wherever thou art, I was definitely looking for some scriptures from you, u never fail to enlighten me :-). But thanks anyway y'all.

Duane

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 03:08:46 AM »

Arc--thank you for providing the rest of Reinhardt's poem--I never saw it before and I am sure a lot of others haven't either.
I think the "Serenity Poem" can be summed up in "bloom where you're planted"!

There are sayings attributed to the Bible that aren't Bible sayings: ie:  "Cleanliness is next to Godliness"

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 03:11:44 AM »

You're always welcome Duane.

:):);D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.