bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Football  (Read 8850 times)

Gina

Football
« on: December 27, 2011, 02:40:55 AM »

I know there are some football fans on this forum.

Aside from the hope that your team of choice will make it to, and win, the Super Bowl, is there any other reason you enjoy that game?  Say for instance, is it a particular play, the excitement of the tackle, the touchdowns?

I'm trying to understand what it is that I just don't get (besides the score keeping) that keeps me from enjoying that game.  The only way I know how though, is to be seated next to a guy or guys who're falling all over themselves in joy.  That's fun! The agony and little meltdowns with each bad play, and game won or lost, just baffles the heck out of me.  (Maybe they're betting money? lol)

In fairness to all, I'm not a fan of any sport really.

Really, I just wanted to say I hope your respective teams make you money are doing your hearts good this year.   ;D

acomplishedartis

Re: Football
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 03:16:54 AM »

I am not a big fan of watching sports neither. But if I have to watch them (for some special reason, like if I am visiting somebody that like it or whatever), I can be able to admire the ability, skills and the positive stuff of whatever the players.

In the other hand, a lot of people make an idol of things like that easily, I think it is like music; one thing is to admire the potential and skills of certain musicians and another thing is to see them as idols and personalities worthy to to imitate.

Also like in the music industry, In the sport industry it is even more easy to see all the mistakes behind it (I am not going to enlist them).

I suspecting and coming to the conclusion that it all have to do with what kind of spirit do we take the activity, either watching a sport, listening a song or even going to a fancy restaurant.

Anyway, just my opinion...

here is a quote about sports (or politics) that I liked:

Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.

Eugene Mc

acomplishedartis

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 03:18:12 AM »

ups, we are in troubles...

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 06:15:12 AM »

Yeah...how can anything be enjoyed when there's got to be a looser. ~  :D

I guess when it is only a game. ~ :D

Thing is, that is the part that gets forgotten...that it is a game~ LOL  ;D

Forgetting it is a game makes the adrenalin rush stronger...~ :D

That goes for any game of competition game plan that makes for there always being a looser....~ ???

Tree of good and evil stuff~  ;D....emergency services are needed for the loosers and hence their purpose in the Universe is made valid to heal the hurting masses. There are more loosers than winners, so the infrastructure of human need is well stuffed with cushions....

....What a game that is!  :D ;D

Morten

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 06:48:58 AM »

You have to say american football. This is two diffrent things ;) American football = borring :P

Yeah...how can anything be enjoyed when there's got to be a looser. ~  :D

Because you loose all the time. Iam jused to be a winner  :P

Stacey

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 11:40:43 AM »

Football fan here. American Football fan...that other kind, the kick ball kind is...boring

To me, Football or what ever game of preference one might have is about overcoming challenges and obstacles to win the game. The excitement of it all is found in that. The better teams are those that practice and prepare for their opponent on the weekly basis because each opponent is different. My favorite team is the New Orleans Saints.

The Saints slaughtered the Falcons last night and Drew Brees broke a long standing record from 1984. It was a great game to watch, for a Saints fan.  :)

In the game of life it's a lot the same isn't it? We are challenged with trials and tribulations on the daily basis and we either overcome them or we fail, win or lose.

Thankfully, in the end, I lose, my carnal flesh is the big loser and God is the winner. I think maybe it's due to His knowledge of the game and His game plan and my lack of it all but hey, geaux God!  :)

Stacey

gmik

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 03:33:48 PM »

What?//  No mention of Tebow???

John from Kentucky....hilarious but I bet true!!!!   Arent you a basketball fan?  As I am from Kentucky, my relatives bleed Ky blue but only for basketball and they are absolutely nuts!!!! (in a good way)

My husband played tight end for the University of Michigan (go blue) and then had a short run at the Minnesota Vikings.  In over 38 years I haven't quite understood the zeal but boy it is so true!!!  Weddings, births etc  that are to be scheduled during the fall  MUST not be at a time when Michigan is playing.  If a game is on at our house (he goes to all the home games and reunions) nothing must be competing- socializing, food, whatever  FOCUS is the game....

Now all our neighbors, family, friends, all know and accept this about my husband and we make our adjustments (usually leave or join).  Our son's friend is coming to visit next Tues and my 1st thought is OH NO, Michigan is in the bowl game that day!

Now, my question....is God on the side that wins???  haha

Happy New Year everyonel!

Kat

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 06:17:04 PM »

Hi Gina,

I am a big Saints fan... that was a great game last night Stacey... Yay Drew for setting a new NFL record for yards passing in a season.

But I like sports in general, I love to watch the Olympics when they come around, but the main sport I watch on TV is Saints football. I guess the reason is I like the competition, watching one side pit their skill against the other. It's watching people that have developed a skill so well and using it to beat their opponent.

When my daughter was a cheerleader in high school I went to all of the games and what really makes me interested in a team is to get familiar with the players on the team and root for them in particular. I will jump up and down and yell for a player that is running for a touch down. I was a little hoarse after the game last night  ;D

Kat

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 06:27:02 PM by Kat »

Gina

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 06:43:05 PM »

Wowee!   ;D ;D  Look at all these replies!!

SCORE!  

hehe

Yep, Kat, I remember you like the Saints from lurking!  I enjoyed seeing the banter back and forth between you and Marques and Marques and Stacey, etc.   :D   You will be able to appreciate this:  One of the doormen in our building knows Reggie Bush of the Saints.  In fact, Reggie was here in Orange County at the Children's Hospital cheering up the kids and signing T-shirts and stuff about six months ago.  Says he's a really great guy.  (It doesn't hurt that he's gorgeous in my book either.  ;)

There is a partner (Dan Fears) at my work whose father (Tom Fears) was a Saints Coach:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Fears  

New Orleans Saints  

After that 2-12 first season in Atlanta, Fears became a head coach for the first time when he was hired by the expansion New Orleans Saints on January 27, 1967. He was the first Latino head coach in the NFL .

I'm really enjoying reading everyone's replies!  Thanks.

Ciao for now party people!

Samson

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 07:44:59 PM »

Aside from the hope that your team of choice will make it to, and win, the Super Bowl, is there any other reason you enjoy that game?  Say for instance, is it a particular play, the excitement of the tackle, the touchdowns?

I'm trying to understand what it is that I just don't get (besides the score keeping) that keeps me from enjoying that game.  The only way I know how though, is to be seated next to a guy or guys who're falling all over themselves in joy.  That's fun! The agony and little meltdowns with each bad play, and game won or lost, just baffles the heck out of me.  (Maybe they're betting money? lol)

In fairness to all, I'm not a fan of any sport really.

Really, I just wanted to say I hope your respective teams make you money are doing your hearts good this year.   ;D

No Gina, You never will, only kidding,  ;D. Football Games have too many commercials, Timeouts, penalties, delay of game and take too long to watch for Me and over the years, I lost track of the different players and My Team, the Oakland Raiders stink.

Now, Basketball, that's a different story, Love it. What do I like about it. The offensive ability of Carmelo Anthony. If He gets the Ball down on the Low Block, no one can stop Him unless you foul Him and off to the Free Throw Line He goes. And Blake Griffin of the Los Angeles Clippers, He's strong, quick and can jump and for being so young, He's already got great instinctive moves(head fakes, going under & over, etc.) In last year's Slam Dunk Contest, He jumped over a Car and did a fancy dunk, it looked like He was flying in the Air. The New York Knicks Rookie number one draft choice Iman Shumpert is 6' 5", 220 pouinds and reminds Me of Derrick Rose. He's strong. quick and has a vertical leap of four feet and has great play making skills, too bad He injured His MCL the other night.

Football, I can live without, but Basketball, I LOVE IT,  ;).

Carry On, Samson.

rumpelstiltskin

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 02:06:12 AM »

Anyone for cricket !!! sorry disregard that. Wrong hemisphere  :)

Peace
If you want to know what God thinks of money,just look at the people he gave it to
Dorothy Parker

Gina

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 04:38:29 AM »

Football is a substitute for the normal violence in the heart of a man.  It's like Theodore Roosevelt said, "When the wolf arises in the heart".

What I naturally want to do is lead a few of my closest male relatives, in a dragon prowed Viking war ship, in an attack and kill a bunch of other men and take their most beautiful women as captives, steal anything of value, and burn everything else to the ground.

However, I understand God frowns on such behavior.  Bummer.   :(  Also, our current sissified, politically correct society doesn't approve of such things either.  Double bummer.   :( :(  So, that leaves us with football.

Also, football is an excellent teacher of how a man can handle some of the bad things in life.  Sometimes the fullback [Gina, that is the name of one of the players who carry the ball  :D] has nowhere to run and is surrounded by a bunch of big, strong, ugly men who only want to hurt him.  When that happens, the best thing for the fullback to do is to lower his helmet and shoulders, tuck the football in his gut, and crash into the strong, ugly men as hard as he can.  I have found that helpful a lot of times in my life.

Also, there are some cute cheerleaders at football games.

I hope this helps you to understand the game of football a little.

Of course since I'm now converted, I suppose I should be outlining the Book of Deuteronomy instead of watching football games.  However, that old wolf still rises in my heart, and I will occasionally watch a game and the cheerleaders.   ::) ::) ::)

I could explain how a University of Kentucky basketball game is an even greater pleasure, but you need to understand football first.

Love it.  I bestow on thee 4 trillion gilded kudos for your honesty and funny-ness.

onelovedread

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 12:51:25 PM »

Isn't football like life? That's how I came to understand the game. You try to get closer to the goal or a touchdown and there are all these massive obstacles waiting to stop you from advancing. Now with Ray's teaching, it doesn't seem to fit so snugly, especially since God operates all and He sends these obstacles to correct, strengthen and teach us. What's the analogy for the difference between a field goal and a touchdown?
Oh, I like Green Bay, and sometimes the Giants, but they're not so good.

Gina

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 11:19:32 AM »

Isn't football like life? That's how I came to understand the game. You try to get closer to the goal or a touchdown and there are all these massive obstacles waiting to stop you from advancing. Now with Ray's teaching, it doesn't seem to fit so snugly, especially since God operates all and He sends these obstacles to correct, strengthen and teach us. What's the analogy for the difference between a field goal and a touchdown?
Oh, I like Green Bay, and sometimes the Giants, but they're not so good.

haha, Explain to me what field goal is.  lol  Is that where they get points for advancing 10 yards or something?

indianabob

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 11:48:51 AM »

Ha ha,
A field goal is when they try three times but cannot carry the ball across the goal line, so they kick it over the line for half credit, 3 points instead of 6.
It's a game where only the skilled get to play while the rest of humanity sits in the amphitheater and cheers for the Christians or the Lions.

Indiana Bob

Gina

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 02:07:35 AM »

Ha ha,
A field goal is when they try three times but cannot carry the ball across the goal line, so they kick it over the line for half credit, 3 points instead of 6.
It's a game where only the skilled get to play while the rest of humanity sits in the amphitheater and cheers for the Christians or the Lions.

Indiana Bob

Wonderfully put.  I shall bestow on thee 8 trillion gilded kudos for that superb, multi-layered parable!  ;D ;D

olasupo jacobs

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 08:16:36 PM »

it is ok to talk about sports, for me and most africans, soccer as you know it in US(but is called Football universally) is our best game...the dexterity, artistry and mastery of the ball elicit admiration for the players and coaches that make the "numero uno" game in the world possible..u get more exictement when your country(genos) plays another nation(genos), a win is like you have conquerd d other nation...like when america was defeated by iraq in one of d world cup fixtures they declared a national public holiday...is God involved with sports? IMO capital YES.." the horse is prepared for the day of battle but VICTORY belongs to the Lord".."it is not of him that wills or runs but is of the Lord that shows mercies"..." that no flesh should glory in itself...to Him be all Glory"..."all things were created for his pleasure ''...for now we are naeuseated with the ugly,corrupt side of sports..the doping, match fixing etc just like every other facet of human existence(policitics/finance/religions and others)that is subjected to corruption, it will be done away with some day.  You cant but appreciate the skills, strenght, and uniqueness of the sports-men without appreciating God who graced them with these ablilties...though many of them like other humanity didnt see it so. they rather tought its by their effort. Any way i think sports is enjoyable...Happy New year to all forum members

ps: i have a pic i'd like to share with d forum...how do i upload it tnx   

Gina

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »

Happy New Year to you, too, Olasupo!

p.s.  One of the mods or other forum members will most likely explain better than I can how to upload a picture.  Maybe write a moderator privately in case they don't see your question here?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 22 queries.