bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Year's Eve Fun Facts  (Read 3745 times)

Rene

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
New Year's Eve Fun Facts
« on: December 31, 2011, 10:34:17 AM »

New Year’s Eve Fun Facts:

Back In The Day

The first recorded New Year's celebration dates back 4,000 years to Babylon, when the first moon after the spring equinox marked a new year. In 46 B.C., Julius Caesar created a calendar with Jan. 1 as the first day of the year, partly to honor Janus, the month's namesake and god of beginnings.

Sing A Song

Though you may not know the exact words to "Auld Lang Syne," you've probably at least hummed the tune at past New Year's parties. Touched by the lyrics he allegedly received from "an old man," poet Robert Burns sent "Auld Lang Syne" to Scottish Musical Museum in 1778. Translated as "Times Gone By," the song's message is that, despite the pain in doing so, we must remember and toast to those we've loved and lost in order to keep them close to our hearts.

Pucker Up

The tradition to smooch at midnight isn't a recent invention. According to old English and German folklore, the first person you come across in the new year could set the tone for the next 12 months. The superstition doesn't just apply to singles—if a couple ringing in the new year together doesn't lock lips, then the future of their relationship might not be all that bright. So be sure to plant one on your significant other when the ball drops!

http://glo.msn.com/relationships/new-years-eve-fun-facts-7716.gallery

Kat

Re: New Year's Eve Fun Facts
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 01:41:11 PM »

Oh we have traditions/superstitions here in the south of food we should eat on New Year's day in order to have good luck, happiness  and prosperity in the year to come.

Pork is a symbol of prosperity in many cultures, which is one reason pork dishes are often associated with New Year's feasts. Pigs are considered good luck because they root forward, symbolizing progress.

Black-eyed peas symbolize good luck, the peas represent coins or pennies. Sometimes peas are cooked in a dish called 'Hoppin' John,' which is peas with rice, pork (hog jowls or hambones, fatback or bacon) and seasonings. For the best chance of luck every day in the year ahead, one must eat at least 365 black-eyed peas on New Year's Day. Adding a shiny penny or dime to the pot just before serving is another tradition practiced by some. When served, the person whose bowl contains the penny or dime receives the best luck for the New Year. Cornbread, often served with black-eyed peas represents gold.

Greens (we tend to favor collard greens here in the south) are eaten on New Year’s Day. Again while cooking add hog jowls or hambones, fatback or bacon for great flavor. This is because green leaves represent folded money, a symbol of economic good fortune. The more you eat on New Year’s, the greater your wealth in the coming year.

So I know we get good sales on these things at this time, so that will help keep the tradition going. I'm sure I will pick up some of these things and I do love Black-eyed peas and corn bread  :)

Kat

Stacey

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: New Year's Eve Fun Facts
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 02:16:37 PM »

Babylon is good at starting traditions. Should of known they started the New Years party. Although I kinda like that one.

Kat, you got me looking forward to New Years dinner big time now with all that talk about black eyed peas, collards and corn bread...um good!  :)
Stacey
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.