bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Marriage - Why it is necessary, logical, practical and..  (Read 14451 times)

Gina

Marriage - Why it is necessary, logical, practical and..
« on: January 04, 2012, 01:00:19 PM »

...scriptural.

The "adultery" post got me thinking.  There has got to be some very logical reasons why God would ordain it and make it mandatory and till death do you part.  

Did God make marriage between one man and one woman mandatory just because He had nothing better to do?  Or did He make marriage mandatory because He knew things we couldn't know? (Edit:  I kid.)  Like, when they used to believe that the world was flat and stationary.  But we know now that the earth is round and looking in Job we see references to the earth being a "circle" which is something only the Spirit of God could have known at that time.

Please add to this list as you feel led, but I respectfully request that you refrain from detracting from it if you disagree that marriage is mandatory or necessary and believe it is now obsolete.  (There was a time about three years ago when I, too, believed that the marriage ceremony was obsolete/nothing but a physical ritual.  But I know now that I was wrong.  Can't tell you exactly why, but I have some pretty good ideas .)

I, along with some others here, could use a little help figuring it out.

Logical reasons:

1.  It keeps the spread of sexually transmitted diseases down?

2.  It makes you think long and hard about your love and devotion knowing it will be till death do you part?

3.  It makes you think long and hard about your ability to commit knowing it will be till death do you part?

4.  It makes you think long and hard about your partner's ability to commit to you knowing it will be till death do you part?

5.  It's orderly and keeps things running smoothly?

6.  ??

Practical reasons:

1.  Commitment and devotion without a marriage ceremony looks, to me, an awful lot like faith without works.

2.  It's orderly and keeps things running smoothly?

3.  ??

Scriptural reasons:

1.  One woman can only be the wife of one man.

2.  ??

(Pardon me if the lists above are out of order or don't "jive" with their headings!  lol  I'm not a teacher, just a truthseeker.)

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 12:19:36 AM by Gina »

arion

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
Re: Marriage - Why it is necessary, logical, practical and..
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 02:00:47 PM »

Because marriage is a demonstration of Christ and his church.  They are linked together until death do they part and of course Christ is immortal and so will his church be when they are resurrected.

Eph 5:31  For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
Eph 5:32  This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

John from Kentucky

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 03:50:48 PM »

What does God say?

Genesis 2:18  And Jehovah God saith, 'Not good for the man to be alone, I do make to him an helper--as his counterpart.'  (YLT)

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 05:05:45 PM »

Did God make marriage between one man and one woman mandatory just because He had nothing better to do?  Or did He make marriage mandatory because He knew things we couldn't know?

Lord, please help me keep my mouth shut. :-\

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 06:46:53 PM »

Did God make marriage between one man and one woman mandatory just because He had nothing better to do?  Or did He make marriage mandatory because He knew things we couldn't know?

ROFL!!! ;D ;D ;D
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Samson

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 07:16:38 PM »

ROFL!!! ;D ;D ;D

The MANY(Male & Female) have been pondering the answers to this Mystery for the Ages unto the Ages, Hence, the writing, production and selling of many Books on Marriage,  ;D, ;D, ;D.

All Joking aside, Gina's got a pretty good list, it seems logical. When Mr. Spock asked His Father in reply as to why He married Spock's Mother, He responded By saying: " At the time, it seemed like the logical thing to do." quoted from an episode of the Original Star Trek Series.

Joel

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 11:53:26 PM »

We know from the scriptures that God is not the author of confusion, and that he wants things done decently and in order. Why would that not apply to marriage also?
May God bless all the little children, from all the different scenarios that are possible.

Joel

Gina

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 12:19:05 AM »

Lol.  I jest. 

That's what I get for writing stuff at the crack of dawn when I'm not awake.  I will edit my original post. 

Gina

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 12:21:48 AM »

ROFL!!! ;D ;D ;D

The MANY(Male & Female) have been pondering the answers to this Mystery for the Ages unto the Ages, Hence, the writing, production and selling of many Books on Marriage,  ;D, ;D, ;D.

All Joking aside, Gina's got a pretty good list, it seems logical. When Mr. Spock asked His Father in reply as to why He married Spock's Mother, He responded By saying: " At the time, it seemed like the logical thing to do." quoted from an episode of the Original Star Trek Series.

haha -- I love it. 

Gina

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 12:35:21 AM »

We know from the scriptures that God is not the author of confusion, and that he wants things done decently and in order. Why would that not apply to marriage also?
May God bless all the little children, from all the different scenarios that are possible.

Joel

Very true.

Now I'm thinking of what JFK put forth.  A helper meet, not helper meets  Why did God appear (I say, "appear") to go from blessing plural marriage (in the case of Rebekkah and Leah, etc.) to saying only one wife for every man?   Captain Obvious says, because poorer men wouldn't stand a chance against those men who could afford to have more than one wife. 

Well, anyway, these are just things I've wondered about from time to time and it seemed like a good topic for discussion.

I'm enjoying everyone's responses.  Even Dennis's and Alex's. :-)

Gina

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 02:43:41 AM »

Been doing a little more research on the subject and one thing I found is that the reason a marriage ceremony has been necessary by at least the early Roman civilization was to prove that the woman was giving her consent to be married!! Wow!  The consent of the woman to wed the man was very important.  Makes sense.  I'm thinking of the king who took Sarah into his harem against her will, I'm sure, after Abraham consented.  Anyhoo.  That's all from me for now.

Duane

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 03:25:52 AM »

In the case of "one man-one woman" --it's always nice when all the children have the SAME last name.

Ian 155

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 04:26:13 AM »

1 Corinthians 7
Concerning Married Life
 1 Now for the matters you wrote about: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” 2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. 3 The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. 5 Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6 I say this as a concession, not as a command. 7 I wish that all of you were as I am. But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.

8 Now to the unmarried[a] and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.   10 To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. 11 But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

12 To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13 And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 04:30:56 AM »

Thank's for posting this meanigful Topic of discussion,  Gina... 8)

God is Love, and as a consuming fire, it is better to marry than to burn ~ :D

Lust is possessive, Love is liberating.

Liberty, to the immature, can produce the same result of a person thinking that if God is Sovereign, then to eat drink and be merry,  is God's fault, which is a false and immature conclusion. Same as giving the keys to the Ferrari to the ten year old! No good can come of it.

We all have hormones, chemical reactions and psychological triggers. Universal law prohibits driving without a licence, yet THE EASIEST  licence one can obtain, is a marriage licence. No previous experience is necessary, BUT YOU HAVE TO BE OLD ENOUGH!  :D

As long as there is lust, there will be marriage! It is better to marry than to burn. The worst of marriages can be the means by which preparation is made for the introduction of Love, that transcend human needs, immature assumptions and false expectations. ~ :D

Marriage can be the necessary road through to learing Love, just like Babylon is a necessary road out of Egypt, and on, to the Way, Truth and Life, that is God. ~ ;D

IT'S ALL GOOD. ;D

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 04:35:25 AM by Arcturus »

Mbongiseni

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 04:52:24 AM »

Hi all

Gina! You are a too sharp for a young  woman! Ilike the way you always see things. I am sure every woman will agree that ..."One woman can only be the wife of one man."
I dont know about  Duane  " but I will stick with your idea of "One woman can only be the wife of one man" not the other way[read my lips]. :-X

Mbongiseni

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 06:22:16 AM »

Thanks for magnifying that jewel of insight Mbongiseni that Gina offers : "One woman can only be the wife of one man" ;D

...~by the righteousness of One the free gift came to all men to justification of life ~ by the obedience of One shall many be made righteous ~ the gift in grace; which is of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many  ~Rom 5

Rev 22:17  The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" Let everyone who hears this say, "Come!" Let everyone who is thirsty come! Let anyone who wants the water of life take it as a gift! ~ 8)

jong

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 10:35:37 AM »

Hi Gina 

Good topic chosen for further insights....

In physical marriage, the bride legally assumes the surname of the groom. She and their future children become part of husband's family line, entitled to all of the husband's legal, physical & familial possessions etc.

Compare with spiritual marriage of Christ (the groom) and His bride (us).  As above, so below...

jong

longhorn

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 11:54:23 AM »

Cliffs notes answer - To test the sanity of every Man on the face of the earth.  Thankfully, Mineral Spirits are sold over-the-counter.

Longhorn

Gina

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 12:46:24 PM »

Cliffs notes answer - To test the sanity of every Man on the face of the earth.  Thankfully, Mineral Spirits are sold over-the-counter.

Longhorn

lol  Even I have to agree.  Women can be very unlike men.  Men can be so calm, cool, and collected, and logical, whereas women must suffer the dreaded curse--makes some of us so "up and down and all around"  ahhh..you poor men.  But hey, you try having your body gear up hormonally to have a baby 12 times out of the year and then losing a pint of blood every month for a year or four decades and see how calm and collected you feel!! LOLOLOL  No offense to the women out there.  Certainly there are many men who are highly and easily agitated and "all around...town."  lolol  Women have to suffer that, too.  But I do feel for the men out there. 

I've often said, if I were to ever get married, it'd have to be to an ER doctor or a fireman - or a man who would be willing to have separate dwelling units and we could just sort of spend time with each other a few times a week and be there for each other for the big events/necessities.  (Call me crazy, but familiarity breeds contempt.)

I've never dreamt of my "wedding day" and all that jazz.  If I get married, let's just go to a justice of the peace, "I take you lawfully.  There, we're hitched.  Ah, that was exhausting.... wine to calm my nerves...."    Ya know, I truly believe that's the real reason for the reception!  lol   

All girl when it comes to sports, all boy when it comes to marriage, lol.  That is a big, fat commitment.  And I'm in awe when I see couples doing well and committed.  Maybe it's not that hard.

Moises, as to what you said about Ray's article.  Yes, I read it. It's what got me thinking more and more how wrong I was about there being no need for physical ritual (certainly, there are couples who don't lawfully wed who do well, but that's the exception and not the rule).  And, NO, you don't sound arrogant AT ALL -- at least, not to me. :)

I read a little book I got at a 99 cents store called "First Comes Marriage," all about prearranged marriages.  Much like our betrothal to Christ--we're selected (chosen) specifically by His Father (and Him) for Him, and then as time goes on we get to know Him.  It's interesting that arranged marriages do very well because marriage isn't based on "Gee, he really spins my wig!  And, boy, I can get a lot out of this marriage."  But rather the goals and values are shared/mutual, and the couple's commitment to those goals and values is the glue that holds those marriages together.  Much like a company or an "LLC."  hehe  Seriously!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 01:43:05 PM by Gina »

Gina

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 01:58:04 AM »

all the ''wedding day and all that jazz'', puff...   what if some just do it for the presents (deep inside of them), ha.

Yes, there are those who marry for the "dowry."  lol  To call it a shame would be a gross understatement.  After all, the Bridegroom is the gift, is He not?!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.