bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finacially Free??  (Read 6640 times)

newgene87

Finacially Free??
« on: January 07, 2012, 01:15:35 AM »

So a opportunity came across for me to get "financially free" or make extra extra income. And for some reason, I'm afraid of alot of money. I'm scared of "getting rich". Now as I think about this : even though the business is legit, Im seeking scriptures behind this. I know that Scripture states: "Money is a root of all evil" but can't money be used for good reasons?? Is it wrong to be financially stable and free and be able to help others with money? I'm seeking council and advice but most of all an understanding of the scriptures behind "Money". Any and every scripture regarding money will be VERY much appreciated. And One thing I found interesting somebody told me. The wise men brought unto the child Jesus Mhyrr(however u spell it), frankencense and gold: and states that since they presented Jesus with those valuables, God is a God of value and worth. Is that true? Or scriptural? History (supposedly) shows those were worth almost 300,000 dollars or something like that????. Found it interesting. And that since the Patriarchs were rich we should be or whatever. Is this in the new covenant? Does Christ desire us to live making 10,000 a month, not working, and giving it away? Just thoughts. Thanks.

octoberose

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Finacially Free??
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 03:03:16 AM »

What a great topic. I started looking up scripture and they are plentiful! Some of those most meaningful to me are the words of Jesus in  Matthew 6:19-21, "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up of yourselves treasures in heaven where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  Hebrews 13:5 says " Keep your lives free from the love and money and be content with what you have.". I think that's very powerful, the issue of contentment. When I'm truly grateful I am not restless for more. Philippians 4:11-13 Paul says that he has learned to be content whatever the situation, weather he is brought low or abounds. And then he says something interesting, "I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengths me." This says there's a secret to facing plenty and abundance, the same secret as facing hunger and need and the secret is this, Christ Strengthens Us. So wether we have or we are in need, it is still Christ we rely on.
Luke 12 Jesus reminds us that our lives do not consist in the abundance of our possessions. Ecclesiastes 5 is Solomon saying whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income.
 II Cor. 2 reminds me of Ray, "Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit."
 Ray reminds us in the Rich Man and Lazarus that there was never anything great about being a begger. That was not a station in life that was valued in the Old Testament scriptures. .  Just thought I'd add this to the discussion.
 Weather you, newgene, pursue this opportunity or not isn't the important thing: it is doing as the Holy Spirit leads you to do. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with having a larger income. Very often though when I am presented with 'opportunities', the person doing most of the profiting is the one presenting it to me. Usually a large income comes with a great deal of work and there really are no 'get rich quick' ideas. There are good products and good ideas, but few are profitable in the long haul to the ordinary individual (in my experience).
 I do believe that the gifts presented to the baby Jesus were of great value- I suppose God's way of providing for Mary and Joseph as they fled with their precious Son. But how that translates into God being a God of value and worth escapes me, because everything tells me of the value and worth of God. And yes, the Patriarchs were quite wealthy- I even heard a Rabbi recently admit that Jews are still quite wealthy and give the credit to God. But I am grateful that  although He has given me a little wealth he has most importantly given me His Spirit, worth far more than pensions and stocks and houses.
 There's so much more to this topic and I'm sure our fellow forum members will provide it. Whatever you do, don't be afraid at all because Jesus is your all in all.  :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 03:41:40 AM by octoberose »

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 03:11:18 AM »

Money can not purchase love, joy, peace, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness, endurance, patience or goodness of heart and character.

So endeavor always to put money in its place as a servant, not  master.  ;D

Mat 17:27  However, so that we don't offend them, go to the sea and throw in a hook. Take the first fish that comes up, open its mouth, and you will find a coin. Take it and give it to them for me and you."

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 05:08:24 AM »

Octoberose mentioned most that came to my mind, and made any of the points I was thinking as well.  So I'll save you the reading and just say I agree with what she said.   

I do want to correct the one you sorta quoted.

1Ti 6:8  But if we have food and a roof over us, let that be enough.
1Ti 6:9  But those who have a desire for wealth are falling into danger, and are taken as in a net by a number of foolish and damaging desires, through which men are overtaken by death and destruction.
1Ti 6:10  For the love of money is a root of all evil: and some whose hearts were fixed on it have been turned away from the faith, and been wounded with unnumbered sorrows.

That said, to be in financial debt is not a good thing.  If your extra income can help you get out of debt (rather than increase your appetite), it's a blessing. 

You asked  Does Christ desire us to live making 10,000 a month, not working, and giving it away?  No...Christ does not desire US to do that.  Where we ARE is what Christ "desires", moving into what we are becoming. (I Corinthians 7:21-24)  But I don't doubt that God calls individuals with large incomes or 'estates' and heals them of the evils (not necessarily the moral evils, but the practical 'down-side' and the unique spiritual challenges) associated with money.  If YOUR concience is clear on the matter, YOU'RE not going to know what God 'desired' until you look back on it.

Lastly, though an activity may be perfectly legal, that doesn't automatically make it ethical.  Think hard whether your liberty is somebody else's bondage.

Do good.   

« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 05:36:43 AM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Gina

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 07:45:20 AM »

Excellent points, Dave. 

Yes, it's the LOVE of money which is the root of all sort of evil, not money in and of itself. For example, look at Abraham and Job -- very rich, very righteous men (because they believed [loved/obeyed] God and it was accounted to them as righteousness)

And, yes, just because something is lawful doesn't make it ethical.

Excellent!!

Not to point the finger lol,  but can someone point to something that is lawful and not ethical?  I can think of one thing right off my head -- organized religion with its tithing practices.  That's lawful and totally unethical!   :'(
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 07:48:28 AM by Gina »

Gina

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 07:51:05 AM »

NewGene, how can a person make $10K a month and not be working?  Does someone have a money tree?  hehe  I WANT ONE!!

octoberose

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 01:33:46 PM »

I might have a clearer understanding why the love of money is the Root of all evil. 1 John 2-the lust of the flesh, the pride of life, the lust of the eyes- that is the root of all evil! That was the root of Eve's sin and it is at the root of the love of money.
 I can't even tell you how much of my life I've spent wanting more- now I have some of that and all I want is to know Him and have my children walk in Truth. I still have those frivilous moments,
but they are more tempered now (mostly, not always).

newgene87

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 02:20:50 PM »

Gina; yea, I do know people personally who get residual income making that much a month or more. So its possible. And I notice something about Luke 12:15-21. What a one sided parable that is. Like, what if there was a rich man who stored up to give out? This parable is biased teachinging in implying that if "you're rich, you lay up treasure for yourself Nd not rich towards God". So is that stating, if youre rich for yourself you're NOT rich towards God?  Idk, this parable is so one sided. Seems like the rich man gets the negative end on things and the poor gets the praise; but its so hard to live in this life being poor. Maybe cuz km now "officially" grown, my own place, paying my own bills: I see what y'all adults were saying!! Lol. There is a need for money to maintain: whether rent, lights, phone, car,insurance. And then jobs is cutting hours or not enough pay: to be poor (which Jesus seems to praise more than the rich) is to not make it in this society.  And thank you for correcting me. I should know that its the LOVE for money. But don't we need it?? And if we could get rich, shouldn't we take that opportunity? . Scripture seems to condemn me on this matter but I know my heart is right.i just want to help myself and help my family. And anyone. And i know money is essentially the only way. Beggars don't want food or clothes; they want money. Thank you all for the input :-)

Gina

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 02:22:12 PM »

I might have a clearer understanding why the love of money is the Root of all evil. 1 John 2-the lust of the flesh, the pride of life, the lust of the eyes- that is the root of all evil! That was the root of Eve's sin and it is at the root of the love of money.
 I can't even tell you how much of my life I've spent wanting more- now I have some of that and all I want is to know Him and have my children walk in Truth. I still have those frivilous moments,
but they are more tempered now (mostly, not always).

Totally agree with that.

I had moments where I wanted an SUV -- but God said no, and I was sad about it, then gas prices went through the roof!  And I was happy about it because I saw that God had directed my steps away from something I didn't really need or would be happy with ultimately.

Same thing with a house.  I wanted a house, but then I couldn't find one that I could afford on my salary, so I got sad.  But then I got this little 800 sq ft apt in a lovely area and it's just right for me.  It's not too much to clean and I don't require a lot of furniture, and God's just been so generous with me.  I mean, between Ray and B-T (Thank you Dennis!!) and my home and the clothes I find at garage sales and consignment shops and my sisters and brothers and friends and my great job with wonderful people and wonderful office manager (she's such a hard working, intelligent, classy lady)--wow !  I have so much!!  AND I LIVE IN AMERICA!!  My cup truly runneth over.  Then, the icing is Ray sends a Christmas greeting and apologizes for the typewritten note!  I'm thinking, but you can't help that and look at all you've done already!!  I mean, this is the spirit of God--the gentle spirit of God coming through Ray.  It makes me want to do everything he tells me to do.  Is this the kindness that leads to repentance?

octoberose

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 04:01:04 PM »

Lovely post Gina. :D
Newgene, have you read the Rich Man and Lazurus from the front page of BT? It's life changing - well it was for me. It's like starring at those pictures with another picture imbedded in it- your brain can either see the other image or it can't. Well, this is like that but it's the knowledge of your heart that opens. You'll really appreciate it.
The important thing, I think, is that no matter what you pursue, your life is a ministry and if you can be a blessing to others and be light no matter where you are, then that's great. Struggeling with these things are a sign of your good heart and a desire to serve Him-most people would not even bother.

Gina

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 04:47:38 PM »

Lovely post Gina. :D
Newgene, have you read the Rich Man and Lazurus from the front page of BT? It's life changing - well it was for me. It's like starring at those pictures with another picture imbedded in it- your brain can either see the other image or it can't. Well, this is like that but it's the knowledge of your heart that opens. You'll really appreciate it.
The important thing, I think, is that no matter what you pursue, your life is a ministry and if you can be a blessing to others and be light no matter where you are, then that's great. Struggeling with these things are a sign of your good heart and a desire to serve Him-most people would not even bother.

True dat. 

Gina

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 05:13:27 PM »

Gina; yea, I do know people personally who get residual income making that much a month or more. So its possible. And I notice something about Luke 12:15-21. What a one sided parable that is. Like, what if there was a rich man who stored up to give out? This parable is biased teachinging in implying that if "you're rich, you lay up treasure for yourself Nd not rich towards God". So is that stating, if youre rich for yourself you're NOT rich towards God?  Idk, this parable is so one sided. Seems like the rich man gets the negative end on things and the poor gets the praise; but its so hard to live in this life being poor. Maybe cuz km now "officially" grown, my own place, paying my own bills: I see what y'all adults were saying!! Lol. There is a need for money to maintain: whether rent, lights, phone, car,insurance. And then jobs is cutting hours or not enough pay: to be poor (which Jesus seems to praise more than the rich) is to not make it in this society.  And thank you for correcting me. I should know that its the LOVE for money. But don't we need it?? And if we could get rich, shouldn't we take that opportunity? . Scripture seems to condemn me on this matter but I know my heart is right.i just want to help myself and help my family. And anyone. And i know money is essentially the only way. Beggars don't want food or clothes; they want money. Thank you all for the input :-)

This is what God seems to do with me.  He always gives me just what I need.  If I attempt to collect more "manna" than what I need, it goes through my fingers.  I find things to buy that I "need"  lol!!  It is not a sin to be rich.  I work for men who are Mormon and Catholic.  They are very rich.  They are very generous and very kind and very patient.  With money comes much "responsibility."  God knows how much we can handle.  A person has to know their own strengths and weaknesses.  (EDIT:  That is not to say that if you have little money that there is something wrong with you!  God causes the poor to be rich in FAITH!" ***   I love the saying, "A girl's gotta know her limitations."  That makes me laugh.  I am so limited.  haha!!  But I have everything I need. God is so good to me.  I just reflect on the past.  I have so many things I could tell you about that God has done for me.  Do you want to hear?

Proverbs 28:20  A faithful man shall abound with blessings: but he that maketh haste to be rich shall not be innocent.(I take that to mean that haste to be rich is akin to stealing/robbery.  I don't think you are the type to do either.  :) )

Luke 16:11  If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?

James 2:5  (AMP) Listen, my beloved brethren: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and in their position as believers and to inherit the kingdom which He has promised to those who love Him?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 06:47:59 PM by Gina »

Foxx

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 10:27:11 PM »

1 Timothy 6:10 - For the LOVE of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Do not love your money but being financially well off is not a bad thing my friend. Its one less thing to worry about and can afford you the means to accomplish other things in life.

thetruth

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 12:17:04 AM »

Earn the money and send some to Ray!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 23 queries.