bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drinking???  (Read 6370 times)

newgene87

Drinking???
« on: January 13, 2012, 02:22:23 PM »

So i wonder; is it okay to drink alcohol? maybe this has been a topic before, i really dont know but i wonder. despite the side that i read that beer has been drinked (drank, drunk?  ;D) for years and years and years goin back to biblical days; is it okay? i read, "Give strong drink to the perishing, And wine to the bitter in soul, He drinketh, and forgetteth his poverty, And his misery he remembereth not again." (Proverbs 31:6-7); that verse seems to support it in a way. i know not to just get drunk and party and do all that mess; but just to sit back, relax and drink a beer: i feel wrong thinking that (no i dont do it) but i want to. alot of times i feel like i'm "perishing" or losing myself and i do feel bitter in soul and heavy of heart alot of times; and during those times i pray but it doesnt go away. As always the problems are still there. but would that verse support it? i dont wanna be the one that uses that Jesus turned water into wine as a excuse to do it but really; is it truth? this is not an attempt to justify drinking but truly seeking council at this matter. thanks

believerchrist100

Re: Drinking???
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 03:23:24 PM »

"And don’t get drunk with wine, which leads to reckless actions, but be filled by the Spirit" (Ephesians 5:18)

"“Everything is permissible for me,” but not everything is helpful. “Everything is permissible for me,” but I will not be brought under the control of anything. "  (1 Corinthians 6:12)

"Therefore, if food causes my brother to fall, I will never again eat meat, so that I won’t cause my brother to fall." (1 Corinthians 8:13)

So basically, yes it's okay or permissible to drink alcohol, but do not get drunk and do not let it become an addiction to the point where it's controlling you. In addition, if you're with someone who believes that drinking alcohol is a sin, don't drink so that you won't cause him to stumble spiritually. If I'm wrong or out of line, someone, please feel free to correct me.

Hope this helps,

Patrick

thetruth

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 07:00:46 PM »

Hello,Newgene87
This should be of help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently I have been in a serious relationship with someone. We planned to get married very soon but that all fell apart when I found out some things about him that made me lose my trust in him and his will to serve God. I am a serious Christian and I know God is in my heart but I don't believe my fianc� genuinely knows God, as he should.

When I first met him and began to date him he was overall really fired up for God. Later, he started to change his mind about a lot of things and started to think that most of the things he had learned while he was "fired up" was a lot of brainwashing. Now, he thinks it is okay to smoke and drink as long as you don't get drunk. He also thinks that it would even be okay to smoke weed if it weren't illegal!! The thing is, he wants to smoke, but he feels it's okay and so does it.

I've asked him what the pastors have said and he always comes up with "they say it's okay as long as you don't get drunk, and there is no verse in the bible that says drinking is a sin if you don't get drunk." Another one he uses is when Jesus turned water into wine at a wedding. But I have been taught that the wine was almost like water back then, and you couldn't get drunk off of it. Is this true?

What I want is for you to tell me whether drinking, smoking, etc. is wrong and what it says in the bible about it being wrong. Also, a thorough explanation of why. I hope this isn't asking too much, but this person means the world to me. How can I tell them these things without him saying that I am just yelling at him? I don't know how to tell him or show him because he always says I am just yelling at him and trying to be his mom. So PLEASE, tell me what you think about these things, I need to know ASAP.

Thank you sooo much!!! I have lost so much sleep over this and I need to resolve the issue's before I go insane myself!

Sincerely,

A friend out there somewhere.

[Ray Replies]

Dear Friend out there:

I believe that your friends attitude is actually more important than the lusts of the fresh that he enjoys. Often people (both sexes) are on their "best behavior" when they are courting. They are trying to "close a sale" if you will, and they know that it is important to "APPEAR" better than they really are. Am I saying this is the case with your friend? No. I don't really know your friend. I am merely forewarning you what you need to be aware of.

I know people who smoke and drink who are fine people. Do most such people have a deep love for the Truths of God and strong desire to live out the Truths of God in their personal lives? No. Not generally. But then again, there are those who are real religious zealots who don't fare much better even without some of these carnal desires of the flesh.

If your friend is suggesting that smoking pot is okay, how do you know he is not already doing it, but testing you to see how receptive your are to the idea?

There is no mention of "smoking" in the Scriptures, as it appears to have been a more recent invention of modern times, so I can't give you specific examples of it in Scripture. It is a "lust of the flesh." It produces physical pleasure, but apparently GREAT PHYSICAL DAMAGE to the body. My father smoked for over a half century and died a horrible painful death from emphysema.

And if one of the parents smoke, you can almost bet that the children will smoke.

As for drinking. No, the wine mentioned in Scripture was not weak like water. There are a dozen or more Scriptures that make reference to "drunkenness" and it is always condemned.
Here are a few:

"And take heed to yourselves  lest at any time your hearts be overcharged [weighed down] with surfeiting [carousing], and DRUNKENNESS, and care of this life, and so that day come upon you unaware" (Luke 21:34).

"Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and DRUNKENNESS, not in chambering [licentiousness] and wantonness [lewdness], not in strife and envying. But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and MAKE NO PROVISION FOR THE FLESH, TO FULFILL THE LUSTS THEREOF" (Rom. 13:13).

"Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulsions, wrath, strife, sedition's, herisies, envyings, murder, DRUNKENNESS, revelings, and such like of the which I tell you before as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things SHALL NOT INHERIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD" (Rom. 5:19-21).

All these warnings being said, is there a proper use of alcohol? Yes there is. Jesus drank wine, as did all the Apostles. Jesus turned water into wine at the wedding in Cana. And surely as the host suggested, they did not save the best "grape juice" till last--it was WINE.

Wine and STRONGER drinks were permissible under the law of Moses:

"And you shall bestow that money for whatsoever your soul lusts after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for STRONG DRINK..." (Deut. 14:26).

Notice that even Paul (who sternly warned against "drunkenness"), that wine can be beneficial:

"Drink no longer water, but use A LITTLE wine [don't get DRUNK] for thy stomach's sake and your often [frequent] infirmities [sicknesses]" (I Tim. 5:23).

So there, briefly, is what the Scriptures say regarding wine and strong drink, but your situation will have to be evaluated by you. Ask God to guide you in ALL YOUR DECISIONS IN LIFE.

I realize that your problem is no smaller now than before you wrote to me, but maybe there is some wisdom here for you to consider.  Let me just say this: Character flaws that have the potential to escalate over time, will drive away any strong romantic attractions that you are feeling NOW.

We will all pray for your best future.

God be with you,

Ray

arion

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 08:41:02 AM »

Two scriptures;

Col 2:16-17  Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

1Jn 3:20-21  For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things. Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.

There is nothing wrong with having a beer or two in and of itself.  As has already been mentioned drunkeness is the sin and not the consuming of an alcoholic beverage.  However if our drinking that beverage causes someone else to stumble or if we feel like we are doing wrong by drinking it then we shouldn't do it.  There are things that God deals with us individually on. 

Gina

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 11:59:43 AM »

Having a glass of wine or whatever is fine.  I personally don't enjoy it much because it has that nasty side effect (headache) if I don't drink it right--like, if I've had it on an empty stomach.

A hangover (headache) is basically from dehydration, so when I drink it, I make sure I have plenty of water with it.

I love that line from the movie A Beautiful Mind:

Charles says to Nash: 'Did you know that having a hangover is not having enough water in your body to run your Krebs cycles? Which is exactly what happens to you when you're dying of thirst. So, dying of thirst would probably feel pretty much like the hangover that finally bloody kills you.'

Ugh.  It really screws with your glucose because of the sugar content.  That's why we should have only a "little."  That's why diabetics are told they can't have much of it or none at all.  Alcohol is basically sugar.  May as well go get myself a syringe, put some liquid sugar it in it, and stick it in my jugular. lol   

It's also an organic solvent.  How about a little paint thinner with your dinner?  Nail polish remover?  Great for digestion.  lol

Ever seen an alcoholic with a beautiful set of pearly whites?  That's because it's a solvent and will dry out your gums (never mind what it's doing to your bones).   Bye-bye pearly whites...  HELLO dentures!!  lol

I have no problem with people drinking but some become addicted to it and that's sad-ugh, it's hard to see someone staggering around.  I realize they can't help that they're addicted (maybe they lost a child or they're struggling with depression and self-medicating), but uh-uh -- ain't for me, personally.  It's one of those things that you need more of in order to get the desired effect.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 12:03:03 PM by Gina »

River

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 04:06:25 PM »

I take from the scriptures it is ok drink some but not to abuse or get drunk. I personally do not drink at all. I think it is to dangerous for a lot of people to even drink a little because some get in a habit of using it to escape from daily stress and then it can grow on them. Discipline is a key factor here.

Gina

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 12:50:17 AM »

Take a look at this verse:

Prov. 20:1  Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise.

Not saying I've never been led astray by them, that would be a big, fat lie.  But I just wanted to bring your attention to the bit about wine being a mocker and the beer (strong drink) being a brawler.  haha--wine's a mocker alright -- we let it lead us astray and it'll be there in the morning to laugh right at ya.  "Ahhaa!  Feel better nowwww?  Aha!!" 

And beer -- well, that schtuff's made with wheat and anyone with a wheat allergy or gluten intolerance can tell you -- you feel like you just got your rear end kicked HARD after you've had that stuff. 

On the other hand, it could mean that beer has that weird side effect of making a person easily agitated and they wind up in fights... with others, usually.  ;-)

I just think that's a trip.

Gina

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 02:11:11 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D

The Jesus no one knows.  His first recorded miracle in His ministry was the creation of hundreds of gallons of fine wine.  Now this was after all the wedding wine had been drunk.  Since this was a wedding feast, I'm sure everyone stopped drinking after one glass.   ::) ::) ::).

Also, Jesus and His disciples liked to eat and drink so much that they were accused of being drunkards and gluttons.  Jesus was fun to be with.  John the Baptist ate bugs and honey----what a party animal; it's good the Baptist won't be in the 1st resurrection---what a party pooper!

Jesus' drinking activity was enough to shock good Baptists.   ;D ;D ;D

Even I had to laugh. hehe  Funny how things change.

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 03:05:13 AM »

You're a prize JFK! ;D ;D

Shawn Fainn

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 03:14:21 PM »

Nice John :)

Toss back a cold one for me, brother.  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.