bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Salvation  (Read 4736 times)

nupreacher

Salvation
« on: January 17, 2012, 11:16:24 PM »

I've got a small question.  What is the purpose of salvation?

Kat

Re: Salvation
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 11:45:18 PM »

Hi nupreacher,

Welcome to the forum. Here is an email from Ray that should answer your question.

http://bible-truths.com/email3.htm#salvation ----------------------------

Salvation means being "saved." There are lots of things we are saved from, not the least of which are SIN and DEATH. A life of sin is not good. A death without sin is also not good. But a LIFE, without SIN, now that's good.

We find Scripturally that we HAVE BEEN saved, are BEING saved, and SHALL BE saved. There is a PROCESS, however, at the point of accepting Christ as our Lord and Saviour, we BEGIN to EXPERIENCE salvation. However, in God's mind it is as "good as done".

Salvation is a REST (like the Sabbath foreshadowed) from the works and frustrations of the flesh and the carnal mind. God has TAKEN OVER! Through faith, we believe all that God has said and promised. We are thus SAVED by His GRACE through the channel of FAITH (which He imparts to each and every believer), and we then become the RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD.

Therefore there is no longer an condemnation toward those IN Christ. We are not yet perfect, but we are viewed as perfect by God because He now views us through HIS SON, Jesus Christ who WAS PERFECT. 

In SPIRIT we have Christ and we have the Father IN US and thus are ONE SPIRIT!  The flesh takes on a highly subordinate role. It is the temple of God's spirit, but the pulls of the flesh, and the lusts of the carnal mind are CRUCIFIED with Christ.

We are FREE! We are now part of the BODY of Christ. We ARE the SONS OF GOD (Rom. 15:16). The whole of creation is groaning and awaiting our full unveiling, "For the premonition of the creating is AWAITING THE UNVEILING OF THE SONS OF GOD" (Rom. 8:19).

Here is where we really get to what OUR salvation is all about. We, the BODY of Christ, who ARE the SONS OF GOD will be used to SAVE THE REST OF THE WORLD AND THE REST OF THE UNIVERSE!! "Or are  you not aware that the SAINTS shall judge the WORLD?... Are you not aware that we shall be JUDGING ANGELS..."

In the bigger picture OUR salvation is used to BRING salvation to the rest of God's creation! That sure beats sitting on a cloud playing rock-n-roll gospel music on a harp.

Hope that answers your question at least a little.

Sincerely in Christ's service,

Ray
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 11:49:21 PM by Kat »

Kat

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 12:22:44 AM »

I found a bit more to add to the above from the Lake of Fire part 16 D4. 'Gehenna Fire Judgment.'   

http://bible-truths.com/lake16-D4.htm -------------------------------------------------------------

REDEMPTION: "In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace... Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory" (Eph. 1:7 & 14). Strong's #629 apolutrosis, "ransom in full, (specifically) Christian salvation, deliverance, redemption." As sinners we are slaves to sin, and Jesus buys our freedom, our deliverance from sin, which deliverance when completed brings salvation. Ask any slave who has been freed whether there is not a gigantic change from slavery to freedom. Jesus sets us free and ultimately saves us.

PROPITIATION: "And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world" (I John 2:2). Now there's a word you don't see every day. Strong's #2434, "hilasmos, atonement, an expiator [one or makes amends, reparations], atones, propitiation." It means to bring in harmony with and appease. Jesus sacrificed Himself as a atonement, as a covering for our sins so that we are no longer spiritually naked before God. And not only has He done this for His chosen Elect, but also "for the sins of the whole world." The change that God is making in us he will extend to the entire human race. "Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him" (Rom. 5:9).

RECONCILIATION: "To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation [Gk: 'conciliation']" (II Cor. 5:19). Strong's #2643, "katallage, restoration to the divine favor, atonement." As it should be translated "conciliation" rather than "reconciliation," the favor is only from God's position as yet. God is conciliated with the world because of His Son's sacrifice. However, since the world is not yet conciliated to God, it is as yet only One-sided. There will not be true Reconciliation until the world is spiritually conciliated back to God. And so God changes His judgment toward us, seeing that He no longer holds us in condemnation for our sins and disobedience, and we are changed from a state of condemnation to a state of reconciliation with God. And this great change brings us to our next word:

SALVATION: "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek... Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls" (Rom. 1:16 & I Pet. 1:9). Strong's #4991 soteria, "rescue or safety, deliver, health, salvation." Perfect health and safety for all eternity. How great a change from what we are will that be?

The Christian sinner's prayer: "I hate my sin and I accept the Lord, Amen" won't cut it in the real world. If we desire to be sons and not ********, then there is much work to be done and accomplished by our God in our lives. God does not create sons in His Spiritual Image by magic or ten second prayers. Here then is part of the process and the words used to describe that process of changing carnal human nature into the Spiritual Image of God, which we call salvation.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat

p.s. there are a couple of Bible studies on this subject, that you might want to check out.

How Hard is Getting Saved?
audio
GettingSaved_p1.mp3 http://bible-truths.com/audio/N05
GettingSaved_p2.mp3 http://bible-truths.com/audio/N05
transcript
http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3849.0.html

Saved By Grace Thru Faith
audio
http://bible-truths.com/audio/6-03-07.mp3
transcript
http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,5417.0.html
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:41:29 AM by Kat »

Gina

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 02:12:27 AM »

Strong's #4991 soteria, "rescue or safety, deliver, health, salvation." Perfect health and safety for all eternity. How great a change from what we are will that be?

Yeah.  See, that's the part I remember.  Salvation means "health."  Not to rag on you nupreacher, just pointing out the obvious to anyone who cares:  Asking what the purpose of salvation is, would be like asking, "What's the purpose of healing a very weak, very sick person?"  lol

"Welllllll, geeee, lemme think......"   ;D

The thing I rarely think about though is, this healing (salvation) makes the love and power of God toward all mankind show up so clearly you'd have to be a fool to deny where it is coming from--because we're all soooo sick.  lol

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 02:19:11 AM by Gina »

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 03:52:04 AM »

GINA  ~ You really Light up this place with sound minded clarity! I LOVE your point of view.... ;D

onelovedread

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 12:16:37 PM »

Nupreacher,
Welcome to the forum family. Here is something that may not answer your question on the purpose of salvation but describes it in some detail, from Ray:

... It is true that

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that [‘faith’ is] not of yourselves; it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast."

But let’s not stop reading in the middle of a thought…

"For we are HIS [God’s] workmanship [Gk: ‘achievement’], created in Christ Jesus unto GOOD WORKS, which God has before ordained that WE SHOULD WALK IN THEM" (Eph. 2:8-10).

Is God creating and accomplishing in you ‘GOOD WORKS?’ If not, you are a "Christian" in name only, and all the sinner’s prayers in the world won’t save you.

Here is the briefest outline of how God "saves us:"

Jesus Christ must first "CHOOSE" us (John 15:16). You don’t choose Him until He first chooses you. You have no "free will" by which you choose Christ. Christ CHOOSES YOU, or you aren’t chosen.

The Father then "DRAWS" [Gk: ‘drags us’]" us to Christ (John 6:44). You don’t come without an invite. What may seem like a "free choice" on your part to come to Christ, in reality is the Father dragging you by many unseen circumstances beyond your view or control.

By GRACE, God gifts us with FAITH (Eph. 2:8). Both are from God; man contributes NOTHING. If you don’t give God credit for all of your faith then you don’t have any faith, because faith comes ONLY from God.

Then "the goodness of GOD leads you to repentance" (Rom. 2:4). Our repentance originates in GOD, not in ourselves. If God doesn’t lead someone to repentance then they CAN’T REPENT.
And it is the grace of God ONLY that will save us. But HOW and WHEN? What does it mean to be "under grace?"

Answer: "For the GRACE of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, TEACHING US [Gk: ‘to train, educate, discipline, punish, chasten, instruct, learn, teach’] that, denying ungodliness and worldly lust, we should live soberly [with a sound mind], righteously, and GODLY, in this present world" (Titus 2:11-12).

If you are not doing this and growing every day, then you are not being graced by God, and you are not on your way to salvation. The grace of God WILL DISCIPLINE AND CHASTEN us into obedience to all of God’s Spiritual laws and commandments.

"Whosoever will come after Me, let him DENY himself, and TAKE UP HIS CROSS, and FOLLOW ME" (Mark 8:34).

This is not an "option" to salvation; this is an absolute REQUIREMENT. I am not trying to paint a picture of doom and gloom, but the reality of living as Jesus Christ demands is not a walk in the park or a stroll through a rose garden. You can pursue a life obsessed with beauty, fame, vanity, materialism, and worldliness, but don’t think you can also coordinate all that with a life of following Jesus Christ.

(from "You Fools! You Hypocrites! You Snakes!")

Gina

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 12:47:23 PM »

Thanks, Deb!

Good one, Dread!   Yep, doing what God asks and requires of us is the work of God.  That's the bottom line.  As Ray is often quoted: "We will stop sinning when God causes us to stop sinning."  The cross is flipping heavyyy!!

I don't think any of us wakes up going, "Gee, I think I'll break some of God's commands today, especially the one about adultery!"

The thing we will all experience when it comes to our own sin/personal struggles with the flesh is the the angst and sorrow over the deleterious effect it has on ourselves AND on those around us.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 01:03:06 PM by Gina »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.