bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fasting  (Read 3760 times)

newgene87

Fasting
« on: January 21, 2012, 01:50:04 AM »

I truly feel this has been covered already but can someone show me the reference to it? I know fasting was never really a "Law" but was practiced in the old covenant; should we still fast under the new covenant? Im reminded of Jesus teaching on fasting and as well as his word towards it, when he said, "But an evil spirit of this kind is only driven out by prayer and fasting." (Matthew 17:21). How he associated prayer WITH fasting. even in the Acts of the Apostles, fasting is referred (13:2)(14:23) I appreciate the answers with my concern about the old covenant and new covenant; but wondering, is fasting still a good way to connect with Christ? i know not a way to "be righteous", i understand now, righteousness is only through faith. Is fasting, under Christ, still beneficial? thanks :-)

Rene

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Fasting
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 11:59:57 AM »

Hi Eugene,

In Matt. 7:21, the part that says "and fasting" is a "spurious passage" and was not part of the oldest Greek manuscripts found according to Professor C. Tischendorf  (see forum link http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6638.0.html).

Also, here is an email reply from Ray that may help you.

René

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,2260.0.html

Dear Patricia;

I hear TV preachers talk about how they fasted or how that they just finished a 2-day, 5-day, two-week fast. 'Me thinks' however, that they lie. And even if they aren't lying, they just lost any benefit by telling the whole world about it.

Fasting (without food or water) may be benefical to draw closer to God.  It may even be beneficial for health. But I do not believe that it will CAUSE God to do whatever it is that you have need of.

Jesus tells us that His words are "SPIRIT" (John 6:63).  And here is a portion of Scripture which speaks to the subject of "spiritual fasting"--"...Is not THIS the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that you break every yoke?...." (Isa. 6-11).

Hope this helps you,

God be with you,

Ray

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Fasting
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 02:20:49 PM »

Here's a series of email replies that should also help answer your question.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,11645.0.html

This is a passage concerning 'fasting' which is in all three synoptic gospels.

Mat 9:14  Then came to him the disciples of John, saying, Why do we and the Pharisees fast oft, but thy disciples fast not?
Mat 9:15  And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast.
Mat 9:16  No man putteth a piece of new cloth unto an old garment, for that which is put in to fill it up taketh from the garment, and the rent is made worse.
Mat 9:17  Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

Some other statements from the Lord Jesus referring to fasting:

Mat 6:17  But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;
Mat 6:18  That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.
Mat 6:19  Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
Mat 6:20  But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
Mat 6:21  For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Luk 18:10  Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
Luk 18:11  The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
Luk 18:12  I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
Luk 18:13  And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
Luk 18:14  I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

I get from Rene's post and the above that the WHY and the HOW/HOW NOT concerning fasting (in other words, the Spiritual) are the most important.  Get those 'right' and I can do whatever I am led to do.  That's far harder than it sounds.  It's so much easier and comfortable and pleasurable to get reward now.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 02:23:08 PM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.