bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: This is the honest to God truth  (Read 14283 times)

Gina

This is the honest to God truth
« on: February 21, 2012, 02:58:04 AM »

When I learned that God wasn't going to torture the wicked for ever and ever, guess what one of the very first thoughts to run through my mind was?  That my favorite musicians/singers would be saved and not tortured in a literal hell.  Well, that's pretty much what I was led to believe would happen to them if they didn't repent before they died. 

It wasn't that I thought, "Oh great--I get to hear my favorite music for all eternity.  Yay...Led Zeppelin!  The Cure!, etc.   It was just that their words spoke to me in a way no preacher in the pulpit at that time, or since then, really could.   To me and many others, they were very likeable people (in spite of their weaknesses/indulgences).  I was no better, though; that much I knew.   

I became positively ecstatic over that thought.

My second thought was, Oh, great--now I have to learn to love my enemy and my neighbor as myself--what if when it's all over, I discover I don't like/love them as much as I like/love the people I do like/love?  (I know.  It was a childish thought, but that's the truth.)

Do any of you remember what went through your mind soon after learning that God would not torture most of humanity in a literal hell of fire and brimstone?

Shawn Fainn

Re: This is the honest to God truth
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 04:00:53 AM »

Can't remember the exact first thoughts, but one of them that stood out was knowing for sure i'd get to see my grandpa again. He had committed suicide when i was younger and i never got the chance to know him.

Nan

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 08:41:53 AM »

Relief, as if a stone had been removed from my chest.

Gina

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 12:18:01 PM »

Relief, as if a stone had been removed from my chest.

Yes, that was my very, very first thought -- Yay!  No more church, no more worrying about the "tithe," no more pretending I like Christian rock, no more pretending I know what the heck that preacher is talking about.  Good-bye boring, angry god.  Helloooo Papa!

Relief is right.  I forgot what it was like to breathe like a normal person. 

thetruth

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 01:23:29 PM »

Hello Gina

Cool question!I must say though it was not my first thought I am glad Led Zepplin,Black Sabbeth,Judas Priest,Iron Maiden,Ronnie James Dio,are Not going to a torture chamber.And as you shared I got a lot out of the lyrics of those songs like last in line...Dio...and Imagine... by....Lennon ...and still do to this day.How funny is it that if this was a church on every corner  web-site and i POSTED THIS ON THERE..I would be a heathen in a half....lol...But as to your original question My first thought was My brother who commited Suicide in 93 was indeed not frying like a piece of bacon!Immeaditaly Joy rushed through my soul and so did my thoughts about God. Suddenly He was the Savior of the World really! And all the sudden...  although i know ..nothing is suppose to happen all the sudden.I had a ablity to love others more because of all the other things I was beginning to learn about the Kingdom.When I think of the blessing of knowing these truths it just empowers me to proclaim them as God directs me.Which brings on So many other thoughts...lol..Again thanks Gina for this post

Its so nice to be able to post something thats of your heart that MAY not be picked apart and analized and that is refreshing to me.So please nobody jump to conclusions about this statement.I am just saying what many others wont.thetruth

Gina

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 01:42:57 PM »

Hello Gina

Cool question!I must say though it was not my first thought I am glad Led Zepplin,Black Sabbeth,Judas Priest,Iron Maiden,Ronnie James Dio,are Not going to a torture chamber.And as you shared I got a lot out of the lyrics of those songs like last in line...Dio...and Imagine... by....Lennon ...and still do to this day.How funny is it that if this was a church on every corner  web-site and i POSTED THIS ON THERE..I would be a heathen in a half....lol...But as to your original question My first thought was My brother who commited Suicide in 93 was indeed not frying like a piece of bacon!Immeaditaly Joy rushed through my soul and so did my thoughts about God. Suddenly He was the Savior of the World really! And all the sudden...  although i know ..nothing is suppose to happen all the sudden.I had a ablity to love others more because of all the other things I was beginning to learn about the Kingdom.When I think of the blessing of knowing these truths it just empowers me to proclaim them as God directs me.Which brings on So many other thoughts...lol..Again thanks Gina for this post

Its so nice to be able to post something thats of your heart that MAY not be picked apart and analized and that is refreshing to me.So please nobody jump to conclusions about this statement.I am just saying what many others wont.thetruth

You're very welcome, Jerry.   :) 

Gina

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 01:48:14 PM »

Can't remember the exact first thoughts, but one of them that stood out was knowing for sure i'd get to see my grandpa again. He had committed suicide when i was younger and i never got the chance to know him.

I'm so sorry, Shawn.  I can't wait to see my mother.  She had a major stroke when I was 8 and she went into a nursing home (state run -- the worst of the worst) an hour and half away from where we lived and pretty much stayed there for 7-1/2 years.  She never came home.  About every 10 years since then, I wake up from dreams of her and I'm weeping because it's like she's right there in front of me (usually in the doorway of the kitchen--for some odd reason)--and I can see her and she's healthy.

Do you ever dream about things like that?  Well, maybe that's another post.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:01:25 PM by Gina »

Shawn Fainn

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 07:46:57 PM »

Sorry to hear that, Gina. It's hard having that loss, feeling like an emptiness in your gut as we live now. But have hope, one day we'll be reunited with our loved ones and will truly be happy. I often daydream of that moment and what it will be like.

jopie

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 09:12:34 PM »

One of the first thoughts that dawned on me was that, the Gospel was good news after all, not one bit of bad news in it.
 And there's going to be a BIG Party.
 And you know what?
 Everybody will be there, it's like all in the family, I'm looking forward to that day.

Gina

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 09:28:46 PM »

Indeed, Jopie. :)

Gina

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 09:31:04 PM »

Jerry,

A tribute to your brother:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3xWT_keKR0

Do you think he'd approve? 

:-)

Gina

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 10:08:15 PM »

Sorry to hear that, Gina. It's hard having that loss, feeling like an emptiness in your gut as we live now. But have hope, one day we'll be reunited with our loved ones and will truly be happy. I often daydream of that moment and what it will be like.

Yes, I look forward to that day all the time.  It's going to be great. Thanks for your kind words, Shawn. :)

Foxx

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 02:14:54 PM »

Actually, the funny thing was is there wasn't anything specific more like a "I KNEW IT I'M SO GLAD I CAN SEE THE TRUTH OF IT NOW!" Kind of thing, lol. because I always had my doubts about the existence of an eternal hell. It didn't make much sense to me.

Rob M

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 02:22:57 PM »

Hello Gina

WoW Jerry...you just named almost all of my favourite bands!!!

onelovedread

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 03:36:04 PM »

For me it would be Bob Marley. Don't worry about a thing cause every little thing is going to be alright.  :D One love. Let's get together and we'll feel alright. No woman no cry.
There must be at least one Bob Marley fan beside me on this forum. ???

thetruth

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 04:59:31 PM »

Hey Rob,

Who did i forget?....Pink floyd,Scorpins,Rush,Nirvana,Boston,...oh i know Metal Church right?yea.... i know i forgot AC/DC DIDNT I.Cool Rob.... thats all good jam!

cjwood

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 05:05:24 PM »

bob marley, bob marley.  yes, onelovedread, i too am a fan of bob.  i believe that when it is all done, when the judgements are complete, there will be a choir/band in heaven that will be so awesome nothing can match it, except the magnificence of our Creator!   8)

jam on!!!

claudia

acomplishedartis

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 11:55:37 PM »

Yes, that was my very, very first thought -- Yay!  No more church, no more worrying about the "tithe," no more pretending I like Christian rock, no more pretending I know what the heck that preacher is talking about.  Good-bye boring, angry god.  Helloooo Papa!

Relief is right.  I forgot what it was like to breathe like a normal person.

haha,that was very funny and honest.

Responding to the question. I don't remember my first thought about it, I think it all became gradually, I came to a point when with out even consciously realizing it, I was so far away from playing any church sick games.

The same happened with the bigest idols of my young heart that I was struggling with, as I was looking for answers and studying gradually they dissapear, it feels to me as if that happened so so many years ago, it's funny how relative the time can come to be. One good thing take you to the other and hard experiences make you more resistant, I am pretty sure God is in direct control of the speed for maturity of each of us, after he call us, it's not a matter of time or reading, it's a matter of God working all in according to his perfect will, and yes He likes to use certain ammounts of time and reading to make us grow.

It feels so easy and relaxing for me to talk about this things. so far, all posts are so good.

Moises

octoberose

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 12:22:24 AM »

Gina, your mother was beautiful - you can see the fun and the sweetness in her face. :)
 In reference to your question,my first  thought was, " This is the first thing that has ever made complete sense".

Gina

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 01:17:29 AM »

Octoberose, thank you for that.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.