bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Remarriage  (Read 14696 times)

dre91

Remarriage
« on: February 24, 2012, 03:20:55 PM »

Can I remarry after a divorce?

mharrell08

Re: Remarriage
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 06:45:44 PM »

Why would you think you could not? Who or what would be preventing you?

longhorn

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 07:48:48 PM »

Why on earth would anyone want to.  Freedom, Freedom, Freedom.

Longhorn

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 11:00:28 PM »

Hi dre91,
I've only been married once and I don't know your circumstances, but my advice would be to proceed very carefully and with great deliberation.

Once we know what we have been given by God's spirit we are expected to use the knowledge wisely. Please consider, what is the rush to remarry? Would another year or two of living alone and focusing your attention on building a life for yourself that you would then be able to share be a benefit or not. From my perspective you are a young man and there may be reasons that you may need to work on yourself before becoming responsible for the life of another person.
If you are concerned that the lady in question cannot wait, please think about what she would do if you were to die of a heart attack tonight. I'm sure she would deal with the situation and find the necessary help.
Your responsibility is to properly use the knowledge God has given you with patience and wisdom.

Kindly, Bob

Gina

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 12:28:32 AM »

Hi, Dre

I'm taking the easy way out and going with Marques' response.  :)

Advice?  Glad you asked!

It's been said, people should approach marriage with eyes wide open, and shut them tight afterwards. ;-)   Because..familiarity breeds contempt.

It's also been said that men enter marriage with repressed feelings of guilt, and women enter marriage with repressed feelings of anger.  RRrrrrreerrr!  Hssss--hsssss.  RRRReeer!

Here's a video I found through a friend.  You'll want to be sitting down for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBSx6zlmyj0

Shawn Fainn

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 04:39:16 AM »

If you're fortunate enough to find a decent single woman these days, then why not?

Duane

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 05:19:33 AM »

I NEVER understood this verse of Matthew 19:9  "And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and WHOEVER marries HER who is divorced commits adultery."

WHY--does a WOMAN bear responsibility for facing a single life (in order not to be involved in adultery through remarriage), when it was HER HUSBAND that divorced HER?!   WHY is the "would be husband" committing adultery by marrying a woman
who was "cast out" by her HUSBAND?  God, does not this shunted wife deserve to find happiness thru re-marriage?

To me, this is akin to the Muslim men who gang raped a woman, and THEN had the WOMAN stoned for "engaging" in sex!
(TRUE INCIDENT!)

In my case, the LESSONS I LEARNED from MY mistakes in my first marriage--helped me/us build a solid second marriage.

Gina

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 05:34:25 AM »

If you're fortunate enough to find a decent single woman these days, then why not?

lol  "Decent" huh?  Meaning....

Oh, well.

Dre and I can still text each other, though...right?

;)

Shawn Fainn

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 10:23:35 AM »

Decent is relative to what you're seeking i guess. For me it would be 'Poundcake' - that down home, wholesome goodness, simple and sweet. Such a rare thing.

River

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 11:55:24 AM »

I will never understand why people get "married" multiple times. The whole idea of marriaged is to NOT be divorced ever! Yet I hear people tell me all the time they have been married three times??? Do they realize what they are saying? I think not.

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 01:51:04 PM »

I will never understand why people get "married" multiple times. The whole idea of marriaged is to NOT be divorced ever! Yet I hear people tell me all the time they have been married three times??? Do they realize what they are saying? I think not.

Mat 7:1  Judge not, that ye be not judged.
Mat 7:2  For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

Gina

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 02:07:04 PM »

Decent is relative to what you're seeking i guess. For me it would be 'Poundcake' - that down home, wholesome goodness, simple and sweet. Such a rare thing.

Can't say I'm one, but I've known plenty of them in my life.  But keep in mind, women are endowed with loads of intuition when it comes to the intentions of others and especially the intentions of the male gender.  (That's why most heterosexual females get along so well with gay men.)

The reason for that, as it is believed by at least some, is because females for the most part aren't blessed with the physical ability to protect themselves from the ill-intentions of the stronger, more dominant male, so they use their intuition -- kind of like an inner "alert" system that causes bells and whistles to go off inside their heads when they sense something's eschew. 

For instance, I met this really sweet guy recently (I mean really, really sweet) and I liked him a lot, but I could tell he wasn't being on the level with me, and when I asked him if he was over his ex-girlfriend, he said "Of course!  Why would you ask that?"  I didn't know why I would ask that, it just came to me.  And sure enough, about a week after that, after it was decided that we wouldn't pursue a friendship or anything beyond that, I discovered he was back with his ex.  And I don't blame him--that girl's got it going on.  Talk about a beauty with brains and sweet.  He'd be a fool to let her go in the first place. 

The point is, I knew intuitively that something wasn't right and when I found out I was right on the money, I realized this "women's intuition" jazz isn't hocus pocus.

That's not the first time something like that's happened.  Maybe keep that in mind when searching for a mate.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 02:12:47 PM by Gina »

Shawn Fainn

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 03:29:44 PM »

I would caution always that one temper any 'feelings' with rational thought first. It's best not to make assumptions.  As the saying goes.. Anyway, interesting thought but probably best not to threadjack.

River

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 03:07:15 AM »

'I hate divorce," says the LORD God of Israel. (Malachi 2:16)

Judge that!  ;)

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 08:45:20 AM »

Judge that!  ;)

"the Lord God of Israel" hates ALL manner of sin. Search and you will find a hundred examples.

But only God is worthy to judge us.

You may not have sinned in one way, but you commit many other sins, every day.

Mat 7:3  And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Mat 7:4  Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
Mat 7:5  Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Try to "walk a mile in someone else's shoes" and you will not be so quick to judge, but instead try to develop empathy.

We are all individuals and our trials are individualized by God to teach each one of us our own set of lessons.

God is not creating cookie-cutter sons and daughters.

firefly77

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 12:16:58 PM »

Judge that!  ;)

Hmmm... I usually don't make any comments, but this morning I can't resist:

Proverbs 6:16-19 (King James Version)

16These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:

17A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,

18An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,

19A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Dennis,
Thanks for your comments; as always, I appreciate your wisdom.

Angie

DougE6

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 05:05:24 PM »

Both Dennis and River are right. It is not judging to point out the scriptural admonitions not to sin. That is correct. And if your guilty of them, don't call the one pointing that out "judging". You mean we cannot point out God's standards? I think the attitude behind it is what constitures "judging" And are we to always assume someone has the wrong attitude, when they point out scriptural standards?

And God is not designing cookie cutter sons and daughters, our each individual experience of evil are "custom designed"  We all need to learn our own lessons, and a large dose of empathy for one another is appreciated and the spiritual thing to do.

I persoanlly feel that judging scripture is used everywhere. And I personally do not take offense if Nathan the prophet says to me.."Thou are the man" if I am the man.

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 07:10:17 PM »

River said:

Then Doug said:

Both Dennis and River are right.

I don't think so. River is dead wrong. I suspect River is a young man and has not lived long enough to experience much grief.

This is not just about divorce - It's about missing the mark (sinning) and judging others for it.

My wife left me and our three young children and ran off with her hair-dresser many years ago. My grief was enormous. It took the majority of my adult life to get over it.

I remember reading a biography many years ago of (I think) J. Paul Getty where he said he would give up his entire fortune for one successful marriage.

Does anyone in their right mind enter into a marriage thinking it will end in divorce?

Do you not think that when a marriage ends there is not a lot of grief on both sides?

Be careful for what you condemn others for - It could happen to you someday.

You can apply this to all types missing the mark (sins) and judging. Drug addicts, drunkenness, religious zealots who murder people in the name of their god, thieves, etc.

All wrong, but given similar conditions, YOU would do the same!

Don't think so? Imagine a Jewish baby switched at birth with a Palestinian baby. That baby would grow up hating Jews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEB0SvMzKzg

YOU can be molded into anything God preordained. Judge not.

DougE6

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 07:34:09 PM »

Dennis that is a heartbreaker of a story. As you said, we need empathy and understanding, for each other, as we are all in this together.

I just did not think River was condemning anyone. I really don't perhaps I am wrong. I think he was pointing out the what the scripture says.

Clearly, you ex wife broke these laws, causing incredible pain. SO the law, not to do those things, is good. If she would of obeyed, it would of saved you a whole lot of pain.

I think that is my point. Is the Law bad? No, it is a schoolmaster, to show how we all need a saviour, we all need Jesus. I think God will hold all of us accountable for what we do, we will give an account. To tell someone what they are doing is wrong, is not an evil. If you were being condemned for the actions of another, that is unjust. Do you not think God is going to make you ex give account? Like we all will? And will he not require you to forgive (as I am sure you already have)

I just didn't see a spirit of condemnation, but I could be completely wrong.  And if I am doing something evil, like your ex wife is did, then she should of repented if someone told her what she was doing was evil. Even if she didn't care to hear it, that will be part of what needs to be used in judgement. JMHO.

Yes, we are are being broken into powder. Some ways are very painful. Your story is a very tough one and that was very close to any "hell", no doubt.

NOTE..not part of this discussion....As an aside, an edit, I just want to point out that perhaps I am a little hypersensitive to the use of the judge not scripture, because it is used everywhere, everybody, if any type of restriction or label is put on their behaviour. Every type of behaviour is excused by the ungodly by this scripture, if you try to point out the Scriptures say some things are sins.  Also, I have learned to have a thick skin, that if someone points out to me my shortcomings, I truly try to evaluate the merit in the claim. If the claim has no merit, then I just leave it in the hands of God. If it has merit, I try to change and repent.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:21:46 PM by DougE6 »

mharrell08

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 09:00:43 PM »

NOTE..not part of this discussion....As an aside, an edit, I just want to point out that perhaps I am a little hypersensitive to the use of the judge not scripture, because it is used everywhere, everybody, if any type of restriction or label is put on their behaviour. Every type of behaviour is excused by the ungodly by this scripture, if you try to point out the Scriptures say some things are sins.  Also, I have learned to have a thick skin, that if someone points out to me my shortcomings, I truly try to evaluate the merit in the claim. If the claim has no merit, then I just leave it in the hands of God. If it has merit, I try to change and repent.

I understand your point Doug. But sometimes there is a tendency to confuse wickedness and weakness. Very few in the world are inherently evil and wicked. But sin is so prevalent because humanity is too spiritually weak to resist sin.

That's the wisdom behind the verse in question. Would we condemn and judge a paraplegic for being unable to stand? No, we should have mercy on them and assist them in overcoming this obstacle in their life. It's not much different with being given the faith to remain strong in a world of spiritual iniquity compared to another who has not been blessed in like manner.

And also, as Dennis noted, we make light of difficult decisions and experiences when we have not been through them ourselves. It's always easier from the outside and with hindsight to say this or that. It's a whole other ball game when you're in the thick of it. And most important, God uses our indiscretions to teach us, so those indiscretions must happen. We can only learn if we stumble and fall in life. Not a license for sin, but simply a big picture reason as to the why.

Marques
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.