bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil?  (Read 7508 times)

nightmare sasuke

Oil?
« on: March 15, 2006, 08:28:34 PM »

What does the Bible mean when it says to anoint the sick with oil? What purpose does it serve?

Andrew

Oil?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 03:57:38 AM »

The Sick = The Spiratully Sick (I think I spelled that wrong)

Oil =  the Light of the Word of God.

Hope this helps.

May the Lord Bless You and Keep You.

Andrew

roperfam

Oil?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 10:26:56 AM »

Quote from: Andrew

Hope this helps.

Andrew

How did you come to this conclusion?  Any scriptures.  Not disagreeing, just wondering.  Thanks.

roperfam

Oil?
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 10:38:46 AM »

Here is scripture from  esword for oil:

(Mat 25:3)  For the foolish, when they took their lamps, took no oil with them:

(Mat 25:4)  but the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.

(Mat 25:8)  And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are going out.

(Mar 6:13)  And they cast out many demons, and anointed with oil many that were sick, and healed them.

(Luk 7:46)  My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but she hath anointed my feet with ointment.

(Luk 10:34)  and came to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring on them oil and wine; and he set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.

(Luk 16:6)  And he said, A hundred measures of oil. And he said unto him, Take thy bond, and sit down quickly and write fifty.

(Heb 1:9)  Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; Therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee With the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

(Jam 5:14)  Is any among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

(Rev 6:6)  And I heard as it were a voice in the midst of the four living creatures saying, A measure of wheat for a shilling, and three measures of barley for a shilling; and the oil and the wine hurt thou not.

(Rev 18:13)  and cinnamon, and spice, and incense, and ointment, and frankincense, and wine, and oil, and fine flour, and wheat, and cattle, and sheep; and merchandise of horses and chariots and slaves; and souls of men.

roperfam

Oil?
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 10:51:00 AM »

Also find interesting that the oil is olive oil.  I'm not real good at searching for the spiritual meaning yet, but olive oil, I'm sure has some interesting meaning.

This topic is interesting.  I also find interesting to annoint with oil is to pour on or rub on.  It is not drank.

Andrew

Oil?
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 03:37:26 PM »

Exo 35:8  oil for the light, spices for the anointing oil and for the fragrant incense,
Exo 27:20  "You shall command the people of Israel that they bring to you pure beaten olive oil for the light, that a lamp may regularly be set up to burn.

Hope this helps.

Also if you can, go to the audio section of **** (not allowed) site and check out his study on "The wise took oil" parts one & two.
It's enlightening (pun intented) :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:26:03 PM by Kat »

djbeeler

Wise Took Oil - study notes/transcript
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 04:16:20 PM »

We should have the study notes up for 'The Wise Took Oil' before the end of the day.

Strike that ... the notes are already up!  :D

Satch

oil
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 07:36:46 PM »

I don't really understand all of the "undercurrents of definition" of the "oil" but I know that I, myself, have been anointed with oil at various times in my life. Times such as : an upcoming medical test, a surgery, or tragedy in my life. To me it is so important to make the needs known among my brothers and sisters in Christ so that they will be praying for me. There have been many times that I couldn't pray myself so they stepped into the " gap". While I have mentioned it: many thanks to you all who have been praying for my family and I will ask that you all add my child to your list. My precious child has been diagnosed with cancer and I am very frightened right now. Thanks to you all in advance.

roperfam

Re: oil
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 08:09:45 PM »

Quote from: Satch
I don't really understand all of the "undercurrents of definition" of the "oil" but I know that I, myself, have been anointed with oil at various times in my life. Times such as : an upcoming medical test, a surgery, or tragedy in my life. To me it is so important to make the needs known among my brothers and sisters in Christ so that they will be praying for me. There have been many times that I couldn't pray myself so they stepped into the " gap". While I have mentioned it: many thanks to you all who have been praying for my family and I will ask that you all add my child to your list. My precious child has been diagnosed with cancer and I am very frightened right now. Thanks to you all in advance.

My heart goes out to you and your family, and I definitely will keep your child in my prayers.

rvhill

Oil?
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 04:25:19 AM »

Quote from: Andrew

Hope this helps.

Andrew

I have read this before, but forget were. so I believe you are right.

Andrew

Oil?
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 06:30:32 AM »

Satch,

My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.

I have a special needs child and we have had a couple close calls with him.

If you need someone to talk to, I'm here.

May the Lord Blees You and Keep You.

Andrew

Satch

oil
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 09:30:05 AM »

I had totell you I read your replies and they brought me to tears. Who would have thought that people I have never seen would take the time to comfort me? God is good. I don't understand everything that happens but thee always seems to be goodness even in bad. Thank you all so much. Maybe this comfort is a form of oil. Like the saying, " a balm to the spirit".

roperfam

Oil?
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2006, 11:49:05 AM »

Joh 12:3  Mary therefore took a pound of ointment (pefumed oil) of pure nard, very precious, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odor of the ointment.

Satch, your humble spirit, your trust in your Savior, is also a precious oil being poured out, and filling this house with it's fragrance.  

Thank you, and I will keep praying for you and your family.

Satch

oil
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2006, 12:17:07 PM »

Thank you so much Laren. I often feel that I am not much in the family of God so your words encourage me to just be what I am.

nindayaa

Re: oil
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2006, 12:18:07 PM »

Quote from: Satch
Maybe this comfort is a form of oil. Like the saying, " a balm to the spirit".

The Spirit has shown you this. Jesus' words are spirit, so focus on what you now know about the spiritual vs. physical oil. Spirit is always greatly superior to physical.

GODSown1

Re: Oil?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 03:37:24 AM »

Hi alL,
       I was just browsing thru the forum wen I came across this Question, Well um! Im new at this to start with but I have learnt quite alot since being here, Right got that out of the way lol!!,  roperfam if U take what Andrew has answered U & take out all the oil words from all them verses Urve meantioned then u will c it makes alot of sense. Well this is my Opinion anyway, Thanks Andrew

muchLOVE! alL Pera
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.