bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: humility  (Read 6149 times)

mongoose

humility
« on: July 18, 2006, 02:44:19 PM »

I know things are in transition here but I thought I'd try starting a thread.  It seems very quiet here, perhaps everyone is taking a step back to see what happens.  But I hope we can continue to come here to edify and fellowship with each other through these changes.

I have been thinking about humility and having a child-like spirit today.  Like most people, I wanted to control my own destiny for a long time.  But I wanted to be close to God and prayed sometimes for those things that people in Babylon told me not to pray for.....like patience (I really do want to be more patient but I think God has been answering that prayer and it has been quite a painful education).  It was rebellion for me in a way to do that.  Like, ha, I have the courage to ask for that which you are afraid to ask for, I can take it....so egotistical.  Then a few years ago, I asked God to let me see the world as it truly was, no illusions, no sugar-coating...just give it to me straight up.  I was tired of wondering what was real and what was some fantasy that I was laying over reality in my mind that limited me.   I was still trying to control everything myself and intended this to mean that I would be able to see reality so I could be more effective at my work and getting along with people, etc.  God, it seems had other intentions.  I think He is answering this prayer as well.  And this may be the most painful education of all.  Instead of being able to better label people, so and so is a liar or a sinner....when I look at people now doing things which are not right or hurt others, I think I see some of the fear and pain and insecurity that drives them.  And then comes the compassion.  They really don't understand.  And He is making me see myself the same way.  I was so self-righteous...I can take whatever anyone dishes out because I am strong....which was all an illusion.  I am weak and fearful, only strong when I rely on Him and Him alone.  The thing I asked for that I thought would make me stronger, He has used to crush me, to make me see myself and others more clearly.  I know that I am no better and no worse than anyone else.  Humbling.....

:)  :) It makes me smile!  I am so glad God is in control and answered my prayer, not the way I wanted, but the way He wanted.  Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had related experiences that they would like to share.

mongoose

orion77

Re: humility
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 05:22:16 PM »

Mongoose, I can definetly understand about humility.  The difference that staggers the imagination is when we try and humble ourselves and when God Himself does the humbling.  Now that is a revelation, least it was to me.

When He spoke these words, I really did not give them that much thought, until after being humbled by God.

(Luk 23:34)  And Jesus said, Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing. And dividing His garments, they cast a lot. Psa. 22:18

Until being brought to this point, where I seen that I do not know what I am doing, or that I can do no good, it was all about what I was doing, instead of what He is doing.  A real eye opener, for sure.  It is all about Him, just hope and pray that we stay in the faith and remain obedient. 

I guess, we all have to learn the hard way, that His ways are must better that our own ways.  I can do nothing, all the praise and glory goes to Him.

God bless,

Gary

ned

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 12:42:36 AM »

Last fall as I was beginning to question my spiritual fulfillment, because I didn't feel the "rich and satisfying life" Jesus promises in John 10:10, I found myself being convicted daily of pride before God.  Every night when I fell to my knees in prayer, I literally felt as if pride was in the way of my communicating with God.  I couldn't understand it, my whole life I have never been a proud person, I don't like to be the center of attention, never boast my possessions, etc...
I soon realized that this was not the pride God wanted me to combat, it was the pride of DENYING MYSELF, taking up the cross and following Him. It seemed for weeks I struggled with this until I could finally come to him in prayer whole-heartedly and let Him lead. Then God revealed to me His truths, and miraculously, I fell the rich and satisfying life Jesus promised. My feeling is that God couldn't let me know the truth until He humbled me, maybe I would have gotten a BIG HEAD knowing stuff not too many others know, I don't know, but God sure works his will in amazing ways. I love Him!
Marie

orion77

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 01:19:27 AM »

I hear you, thank God for His humbling power.

(Deu 8:2)  And you shall remember all the way which Jehovah your God has caused you to go these forty years in the wilderness, in order to humble you, to try you, to know that which is in your heart, whether you will keep His commandments or not.

(Deu 8:3)  And He has humbled you, and caused you to hunger, and caused you to eat the manna, which you had not known, and your fathers had not known, in order to cause you to know that man shall not live by bread alone, but man shall live by every Word that proceeds from the mouth of Jehovah.

(Deu 8:4)  Your clothing did not wear out on you, and your foot did not swell, these forty years.

(Deu 8:5)  And you have known with your heart that as a man disciplines his son, Jehovah your God disciplines you.

(Psa 69:31)  And it shall please Jehovah more than an ox, horned or hoofed bull.

(Psa 69:32)  The humble have seen and are glad; you who seek God, your heart shall live.

(Psa 69:33)  For Jehovah hears the needy, and He does not despise His prisoners.

(Isa 57:15)  For so says the high and lofty One who inhabits eternity, and His name is Holy: I dwell in the high and holy place, even with the contrite and humble of spirit; to make live the spirit of the humble and to make live the heart of the contrite ones.

God bless,

Gary

chumkin

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 11:25:18 AM »

greetings all.

i have been greatky humbled in the last two yrs.
i praise and thank God from the innermost of my being!!!

humility lets us see others better than ourselves, it helps us put
on a servant attitude.

true spiritual growth is putting  others needs and wants before your own.
it does not happen over night, well for me it's not and didnt.

God is LOVE
let us worship HIM with huility of mind.
and understanding of spirit. :D

Tapeinophrosune 8:1,1152
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
tap-i-nof-ros-oo'-nay      Noun Feminine 

Definition
the having a humble opinion of one's self
a deep sense of one's (moral) littleness
modesty, humility, lowliness of mind

love
chuckt
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 11:31:17 AM by chumkin »

buddyjc

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 11:46:51 AM »

I am so glad they are changing things in this forum.  I seems the action is causing all of us to think a little more about humility.  God sure does work in mysterious ways.  Many of the threads I have perused this morning are speaking of humility.  How awsome is that?

Brian

rocky

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 11:59:12 AM »

Jam 4:6  But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

Jam 4:9  Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.

Jam 4:10  Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

1Pe 5:6  Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:

Mat 5:3  Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:4  Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Mat 5:5  Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
Mat 5:6  Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
Mat 5:7  Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
Mat 5:8  Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
Mat 5:9  Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Mat 5:10  Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:11  Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

mongoose

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 01:50:01 PM »

I am so glad they are changing things in this forum. I seems the action is causing all of us to think a little more about humility. God sure does work in mysterious ways. Many of the threads I have perused this morning are speaking of humility. How awsome is that?

I couldn't agree more.

Remember how the LORD your God led you all the way in the desert these forty years, to humble you and to test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands. He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.  Deuteronomy 8:2-3

"Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being?" declares the LORD.
       "This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word.  Isaiah 66:2

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."  Matthew 11:28-30

What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you?   You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.  You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. Or do you think Scripture says without reason that the spirit he caused to live in us envies intensely?[a] But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says:
   "God opposes the proud
      but gives grace to the humble."
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up. James 4:1-10

Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. 1 Peter 3:8-9

All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:5-7

mongoose

buddyjc

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 03:02:59 PM »

Phi 4:8  Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Brian

SandyFla

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 03:05:29 PM »

I went through a time of humbling before my divorce. I went places and did things that I never dreamed I would ever do. Up until that time, I had a haughty spirit, like I was better than other people who did those things. God brought me low to show me that I was no better than anyone else.

Sandy

buddyjc

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 03:12:40 PM »

When I finished seminary, I thought I was 'Mr. Bible.'  God taught me that knowledge is learned, but understanding is revealed.  I read a book called 'The Spirit of the Pharisee' and it brought me down a bunch of rungs.  Christ humbled Himself when he went to the cross, so the only way we can pick up our cross and follow Him is to humble ourselves.  Of course this is of God.  I was thinking the other day how I am powerless to do anything.  We are totally reliant upon the Father for understanding, and sometimes He can be awfully silent.  I am glad that we can come to this forum and share our weaknesses.

Brian

dogcombat

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 06:34:00 PM »

Humility is indeed a process.  Whether it's 40 minutes, days, years etc.  We are truly humbled when God says we're humble.  This is why parts of us we didn't know were broken are healed, and idols of the heart we didn't percieve get shattered.  I've personally learned that I have no good things in me.  Oh, I thought I had talent (Me?? Talent??), but it's truly the Lord working through me.  I only understand what he reveals in terms of living on his provision, even though I still have the same carnal desires we all have.  I think all on this thread have experienced that too.

Ches

Layla

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 07:14:10 PM »

Great thread!  I loved your recent post mongoose!!

Hey Brian - I just recently read that book, The Spirit of the Pharisee...an awesome work which is doing a work in me!

Here's the link for those who haven't read it, but might want to.
http://www.tentmaker.org/books/TheSpiritOfThePharisee.htm

Peace,
Layla

lauraathome2005

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 10:04:31 PM »

I've realized that the closer I get to God, the smaller I get....
Blessings, Laura
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 17 queries.