bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Coat of many colors?  (Read 13536 times)

newgene87

Coat of many colors?
« on: April 02, 2012, 12:27:15 AM »

Okay, im reading through Rays "12 truths" and on truth number 8 (i believe??) he says, "Do you wear your "coat of many colors," or do you hide it in the closet? You say: "What coat of many colors?"

Forget it—ask you pastor why he has never taught you how to wear your coat of many colors?"

This one of many of Rays half thoughts and incomplete notions that I wish to understand. And since I have read that passage about Josephs coat of many colors (of that's even the correct hebrew translation, I remember learning that it wasnt 'colours'). So, can someone help me with Rays half thought there; why is that coat of many colors 'for our admonition'??? HOW ARE to wear our coat of many colours? And what does it mean?? I prefer not to 'ask my pastor'. Since I already know it wouldn't of any truth of scripture. So I'd rather ask my family here :-D. Love y'all ;-)

lilitalienboi16

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Coat of many colors?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 01:03:46 AM »

The short answer on this is the coat of many colors is Jesus Christ and His Spirit that manifests Itself in and through the lives of His own.

Interesting how the coat was drenched in blood by Joseph's brothers....

His Peace to you,

Joe

Src: http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,4891.msg38126.html#msg38126

I felt it was sweet and to the point so definitely worth mentioning here.

Here is an earlier thread on the topic that might have what you are looking for: http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,12044.msg104563.html#msg104563

A quote from ray from the above mentioned article:

---------------------------
Coat of many colors.

Ray,
 Thank you for sharing with the world. I as well believe what you do. I have a question, from one believer to another, What was the spiritual significance of the " coat of many colors that joseph recieved from his father"

Thank you,

Marshall

The robe of many colors significes Jacob's pride in his son Joseph.  It would STAND OUT wherever he went.  Likewise, God has given us a coat of many colors--marvelous truths of His Word and His purpose.  We are not to put that coat in the closet, but wear it, so as a light set on a hill, cannot be hid, but gives light (spiritual light) to all who come close to it.
God be with you,
Ray
------------------------

Joseph is a shadow and type of the elect and his coat of many colors represents that royalty.

Edit: This is for our admonition because to be the elect of God, the few chosen, that generation, we too need to be clothed in a coat of many colors. That only comes from our Father who loves and adores us.

Why do we want to be covered?

Revelation 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

Revelation 3:18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

1 Corinthians 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for examples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

1 Corinthians 15:46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

The royal coat is a natural shadow of a spiritual reality.

God bless,

Alex
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 01:14:33 AM by lilitalienboi16 »
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

newgene87

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 01:10:07 AM »

Wow nothing is new under the sun. Did I clearly just ask the same question someone else did??? *Attention newbies of the forum, from a newbie to a newbie; if u have a question, just search thru the history. I am prime example have copying a question when it wasn't my intent*

Thanks for that link. Ill just refer to that and pray on it

indianabob

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 01:11:00 AM »

Good point Alex,
The coat of many (hands or widths) would indicate that it was layered and more luxurious.
The intent for us is that we are covered as God's children who He loves.
The covering may be seen as Lord Jesus' covering sacrifice for us, e.g. his blood covers our sins.
Even the covering of the full armor of God that protects us along our journey of faith.
Good subject and worth exploring.

Indianabob

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 01:12:42 AM »

Wow nothing is new under the sun. Did I clearly just ask the same question someone else did??? *Attention newbies of the forum, from a newbie to a newbie; if u have a question, just search thru the history. I am prime example have copying a question when it wasn't my intent*

Haha don't feel bad. I hope I didn't cause you any offense. I just have a tendancy to search the forums because I remember some of these topics from a while back. If you notice, I think one of them is from 2006. You can't blame yourself for not being aware of that.

Besides, this subject is a HUGE one but I think the basic principles are covered and I did try and cover them again in my post. There is a lot of shadowing in the old testament of spiritual realities that are for the admonition of the those who have been given eyes and ears to hear and see.

Feel free to continue the discussion, this subject is a fascinating one and I hope others have more to add to it. There is so much here.

Thanks for the topic, honestly, it made me think and search again. :)

God bless,

Alex
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 01:15:29 AM »

Good point Alex,
The coat of many (hands or widths) would indicate that it was layered and more luxurious.
The covering may be seen as Lord Jesus' covering sacrifice for us, e.g. his blood covers our sins.
Even the covering of the full armor of God that protects us along our journey of faith.

Indianabob

Very much agreed Bob! And the reason we want to be covered is because..

Revelation 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked.

indianabob

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 01:21:11 AM »

Yes Alex, poor and blind and naked and in my case wrinkled.
And who wants to see a naked wrinkled old man. covering is required and much appreciated.
Smiling Bob

Good point Alex,

Indianabob

Very much agreed Bob! And the reason we want to be covered is because..

Revelation 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked.

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 01:30:40 AM »

Haha. Oh bob, you are so silly! :P

This whole thread brings to mind one of my most favorite versus of scripture and it has to do with being clothed!

Zechariah 3: 3-4 "Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and stood before the angel. And he answered and spake unto those that stood before him, saying, Take away the filthy garments from him. And unto him he said, Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee, and I will clothe thee with change of raiment." (<-- Two of my favorite versus right thur! )

Zechariah 3: 7 "Thus saith the LORD of hosts; If thou wilt walk in my ways, and if thou wilt keep my charge, then thou shalt also judge my house, and shalt also keep my courts, and I will give thee places to walk among these that stand by."

Revelation 3:21 "To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne."

Obadiah 1:21 And saviours shall come up on mount Zion to judge the mount of Esau; and the kingdom shall be the LORD's.

1 Corinthians 6:2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world?

Ah... the day the Lord removes these filthy stinky garments... The day I finally have adequate covering for my nakedness and shame. What a day it will be! Those royal colors sure would be a nice bonus ;) haha xD
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 01:36:50 AM by lilitalienboi16 »

Rene

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 12:21:51 PM »

Wow nothing is new under the sun. Did I clearly just ask the same question someone else did???

Hi Eugene,

As Alex mentioned, it's no problem asking a question that has been discussed before.  There is a lot of material on this website and it is inevitable that a question will be repeated.  I believe it's a good "refresher" lesson for all of us when certain subjects are brought back up. :)

Here is a scripture from Isaiah that seems to fit in nicely with the subject of "coat of many colors."

Isaiah 61:10 - "I will greatly rejoice in Yahweh. My soul shall exult in my God, for He had clothed me with the garments of salvation, with a robe of righteousness hath he enwrapt me..."  (REB)

René
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 02:18:32 PM by Rene »

Revilonivek

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 02:09:28 PM »

I had a dream when I was little. I was around 8 years old when it happened. I saw an angel, spiritual guide or one of the overcomers. she appeared female to me. we had an conversation. There's no fear. You felt drawn to return home. I was almost home. It was right there. There's so much love and concern. There's no judgement no fear.  Just unconditional love and concern. She had a conversation with me. I remember the important details of that conversation, It's a bit hazy but important parts struck. I also saw earth and felt  the sufferings. It was all compressed together. We were all connected. I returned back to earth to help.  I also remember her wearing a coat of many colors. It was beautiful. There's colors you haven't even seen. They were like pure colors. very pure colors, like nothing you've seen here.  I was in awe of it. I couldn't explain it. It is an honor to wear one.  But then again, it could just be a dream. It seems so vivid that I could never forget it.

thetruth

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 11:08:04 PM »

Hello,Revilonivek
Great topic...very kool stuff!Just wanted to ask...In regards to a female Angel?I thought all angels were masculine?Can anyone help with that?

Insert Quote

I had a dream when I was little. I was around 8 years old when it happened. I saw an angel, spiritual guide or one of the overcomers. she appeared female to me.

Kat

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 11:54:53 PM »

Hi thetruth,

Well that is an interesting question. When you look at the names of angels in the Scripture, Michael and Gabriel, they are male names. Also they are referred to in the masculine.

Revelation 12:7 …Michael and his angels.

Luke 1:29  Mary was greatly troubled at his (Gabriel’s) saying.

Other references to angels are always in the masculine gender as well. In Zechariah he asked an angel a question.

Zec 1:19  And I said to the angel who talked with me, What are these? And he answered me,

The angels in Revelation are all spoken of as “he” and “his” as well.

Rev 10:5  And the angel that I saw standing upon the sea and upon the earth lifted up his right hand to heaven,

Rev 14:19  And the angel cast his sickle into the earth...

Rev 16:2  And the first went, and poured out his bowl into the earth...

Rev 19:17  And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice,

Rev 16:17  And the seventh poured out his bowl upon the air...

Rev 20:1  And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key of the abyss and a great chain in his hand.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Revilonivek

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 12:44:24 AM »

Like I said earlier in other post. We only have limited knowledge of what really goes on. We can only know so much. I think God just lets us know enough to help us focus on overcoming ourselves.  I don't know if she was an angel, a spiritual guide, or an overcomer. The bible says Angels are spirit beings sent out to minister to people. They are sexless and bible says we will become like the angels but higher than the angels one day. Right now We are just set a little lower than the angels.

But I was telling you that she "appeared" female to me.

The world has been a male dominated world for thousands of years. I believe that angels appear to you as what you are most comfortable with. I mean, imagine a male dominated world and culture responding to a female angel?
of course they're not gonna take it well. Because it's like taking authority from a woman.

Keep in mind that they are not humans, They take human form. The angels in the bible are traditionally perceived as males but bible was clear that they were sexless. They weren't really males Yet men perceive angels as males?  God is sexless as well but we perceive him as Male as well. We live in a male dominated world. the bible went through a male dominated world for thousands of years.  It is only recently that in some countries that women are perceived as equal. not all though.

You have to remember I was only 8 at the time. It could be only a dream but It was a life altering experience for me. I've had other dreams of angels as well. In other dreams, they were males but this particular dream, This spirit being, she appeared female and wore that coat of many colors. It was beautiful. Nothing like you've seen. Colors were so pure. I can't explain it.  I was in awe. I haven't had any of those dreams after that dream with the female being.

Bible says angels are to carry out His plan and to minister to the followers of Christ (Hebrews 1:13-14).

Matt 22:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. Matt 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.""

Yet you identify yourself as male and female in the here and now But you won't in the next age. Can you imagine yourself as sexless? It's hard.. I think they appear to you with what you are most comfortable with.

LIke i said earlier- it could just be a dream but I can tell you that it made an impact on my life.

Denise

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 02:12:16 AM »

1Co 13:8  The love doth never fail; and whether there be prophecies, they shall become useless; whether tongues, they shall cease; whether knowledge, it shall become useless;
1Co 13:9  for in part we know, and in part we prophecy;
1Co 13:10  and when that which is perfect may come, then that which is in part shall become useless.
1Co 13:11  When I was a babe, as a babe I was speaking, as a babe I was thinking, as a babe I was reasoning, and when I have become a man, I have made useless the things of the babe;
1Co 13:12  for we see now through a mirror obscurely, and then face to face; now I know in part, and then I shall fully know, as also I was known;
1Co 13:13  and now there doth remain faith, hope, love--these three; and the greatest of these is love.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

thetruth

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 11:09:18 PM »

Hello,Denise
I very much respect what you exsperienced that day Denise and as you said clearly.....I don't know if she was an angel, a spiritual guide, or an overcomer...i get that.I believed that there were female Angels for the longest time.But as Kat posted and all i have been able to see through Scripture there seems to lean towards Masculine angles.So thats what i believe until someone can show me different.Which is why i posted what i did.To see if any one could help with this question?I apoligize to you Denise for not being more clear of what you said clearly.Honestly i started to pm you instead about this because it always seems to be the best way when answering here on the forum.But the sad part is others cant learn when its handle that way.And I would like to say What a beautiful baby God has blesssed you and your family with Denise!And also I really enjoy your thoughts and post here on the forum.God BLESS THE TRUTH...jERRY

Revilonivek

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 01:28:15 AM »

Thanks Dave- Yes.. Gifts cease when the "Perfect comes."

gifts are like tools or stepping stones to help you know God, but once you grow up- you have no need for them anymore because you know what is far more important that gifts or anything else. Which is Unconditional love.

JFK- What are you trying to ask? I am trying to understand the question? Apostle John had an angel help him- Peter did too. There's many examples of angels helping humankind. In dreams, visions, etc. It's in the bible. 97 percent of  angel stories  in the bible are to males. Three visitations from angels to women are in the NT- Mary- Mary Magdalena and other Mary I think? that's it. all stories are by male writers.

Try to put yourself in their mindset back then- would you be comfortable writing stories or adding stories about female angels visiting and helping males when clearly they live in a male dominated culture? They would be more comfortable writing about male angels or use words that point at males as angels. They even represent God as Male but really God was very clear that he is sexless. They perceive He, His, Him, etc, as authoritative words. To show superiority. Why not look at God as She, her,? but they dont want to, because they don't' see She, her, etc, as superior.  They  don't see feminism as superiority at all. God created male and females for a reason. Why can't God create sexless angels to appear male and female as well?

I don't know what title she carried but I knew she was there to help me. We didn't go into details of what she was..

About my dream,  She just didn't identify herself as female though. Just appeared female. She showed me things. There was so much love and concern. Unconditional love. You definitely don't want to leave there. it's like HOME.  The only reason I bought this up is because the recent post, the conversations about the coat of many colors reminded me of my dream. The thing is.. I was only 8. The dream had so much detail, so much connection, so vivid, as if you were there and not here. I don't even remember her face but I remember her  coat of many colors the most.  You just don't forget these things.

Then again, it could be just a very very profound dream and nothing more.

I could look through the bible but you're right. so far angels seem to appear males to the male main characters of the stories of the bible. Only in NT, Male angels appeared to three women- The rest are to males  in the bible. but then again, it was also a male dominated culture for millienums as well. Scriptures were written by males as well. Even Jesus's ascension were witnessed by 11 apostles on a mountain.  all males. You have to admit the bible are written by males and many of them are mainly focused on males.

Scriptures are very clear that Angels are spirit beings created to serve- to help. and I think they appear with what is most comfortable to you. Bible is also clear that they are sexless. no gender identity. Which means they aren't really males. They just appear male for your sake or rather, their sake. not to freak them out but to help them.  SO what's against the law for them to appear female to some? I am sure they did experience something of that sort, but just didn't write about it.  Of course because the bible is male dominated bible. You know it. Old testament even had opinions and rules about menstruating women and women who deliver male or female babies. There are more crazy rules about women. Even in New testament- they were clearly male dominated culture but I think it was because of Jesus that the apostles and the rest of Christ' followers started to be more kinder toward women.

I even had a very good  friend who thinks that she had two female guardian angels visit her. her car broke down and two female strangers came and helped her with her car- and then disappeared before she could thank them.

Like i said before- It could just be a dream and nothing more. All I can say It was very profound for me.

Truth- Thanks- He's my miracle baby. We tried for him for over four years. The moment I gave up on the idea of having children and made peace with it. Thanked God for his blessings he gave me and forgot about it. Of course later that same month, I got pregnant with Oliver. I didn't find out till i was 6 weeks along. I found out I was pregnant with him Feb 15th. I found out he was a boy May 15th and my water broke on October 15th. Actually- he stayed inside until 3 hours before my birthday. I got to spend my birthday getting to know him. God does make everything super special for those who overcomes something and makes peace. He's three now.  :)
Denise

cheekie3

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 05:33:40 AM »

Denise -

Is it possible that The Lord showed you in Scriptural Symbolic Imagary your future self.

I have never heard of the term Spiritual Guide; and I understand that Angels Minister to us and are sent from our Heavenly Father - and do not have wings.

Regards, George.

Revilonivek

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 04:21:12 PM »

Cheekie-

Who knows? She did not have wings. I did remember her wearing that coat of many colors.

I walked up the stairs, confused to where I was. There were columns on stair path. the stair path led me to a huge tall gold gate door. It seems to be an entrance to a city. It was closed.  There were no knobs. There were also huge walls attached to the doors.  I walked up to the door  because I was in awe of how beautiful the door was.. the detail of it. I went face to face with it. just amazed on how beautiful i twas. It was just a door but it was so beautiful, like nothing you've seen.  I turned around- saw this angel with the coat of many colors standing.  I walked up to her and Saw the whole planet Earth in its glory below. She then started to talk and show me things-Showed me events- I'm guessing the future.  There were so much chaos- People were so afraid-You could sense their need- that they needed help. You could feel what they were feeling. You felt a responsibility to these people. She said I could go home through the gates if i wanted to but did say that If I went back. I could help these people. Of course I went back...

It could just be a dream but It was profound for me.

Denise

Gina

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 12:43:06 AM »

Hey Denise:

Did anything in your dream resemble anything you've seen or experienced here at the forum in a spiritual or symbolical sense?  You know what I'm trying to say?  You're better with analogies than I am.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 12:55:38 AM by Gina »

Ian 155

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 07:51:43 AM »

From one newish newbie to another, I sat on this in my thoughts and I clearly saw that the coat had many representation,withought dragging this out, He was given this coat ,the coat caused extreme Jealousy [as do/will ours, weeping and gnashing],he, because of it, was discarded in a pit,was rescued from the pit ,sold into slavery,seduced by potifars wife [partly] was lied about,sent to prison,met undesirables,interpreted dreams - and then lifted out to reign over all the corrupt Egyptians [world] sounds a wee bit like our destination or perhaps my thoughts were mine and not my Fathers ....

bless you,
Ian
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.