bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Smokers  (Read 11920 times)

Gina

Smokers
« on: May 18, 2012, 08:55:32 PM »

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/surprising-ways-quit-smoking

Sounds promising.  I'm telling you, I would LOVE to be a nonsmoker.  I'm thankful I have the money to try these methods, unlike some people.  I hope they work.  Please keep me in your prayers. Thank you.

acomplishedartis

Re: Smokers
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 12:38:32 AM »

I will keep you in my prayers.

servias

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 11:30:07 AM »

You can do this!  I quit smoking about 3-4 years ago and switched to chewing tobacco....I thought I could just quit that easily.   Well that was dumb because I still was a slave to nicotine.   Now I have been 60 days quit of nicotine/tobacco.  I use an online support group (killthecan.org) that has taught me that I'm an addict and I  have to promise myself to be quit every single day.  I believe you can do this its just about getting past the first week.  After a week your nicotine cravings are false, not physical only mental cravings that don't last long.  Also I used nicotine-less chew the first week to kind of trick my physical habit.  I remember seeing nicotine-less smokes somewhere online, I'll look and report back.
Dan

servias

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 11:32:18 AM »

Here you go - http://www.nicotinefreecigarettes.com/usa/

And If your brave you can start a thread here and post every day your promise to remain quit for the day and what day your on.   ;D
Good luck, its hard and you got to do it for yourself and at a time that is right for you. 

Dan

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 11:36:51 AM by DanTheMan »

onelovedread

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 11:42:20 AM »

Gina

I've been praying for you.  I think I shared with you that I have another close believer friend who is trying to stop.

Fortunately for me she moved away from NY 6 years ago and there went my supply of marijuana. Since that time I have not smoked anything. Had she been around, who knows?

My Mon who is now 88 stopped smoking around 5 years ago with God's help, the patch  and the prayers of the family. It helped that the doctors gave her a serious warning and made her see the danger to her life.

Gina

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 02:16:27 PM »

Dan, cocoa beans?  I could smoke cocoa beans. ;D

Once I tried lettuce cigarettes -- cost me a small fortune.  Nobody would ever be a smoker if that was all there was to smoke.  Trust me on that one.

I've tried the electronic cigs, but they're only now coming out with ones that give you that "throat hit."  I know, it sounds crazy.  But I don't want to be walking around with any cigarette - period.

Babies are born with a natural suckling instinct.  I started smoking around the age of nine, not long after having given up the baby bottle--which I was hooked on way too long.  All it took to give it up was a swig of sour milk.  Done.

As for MJ, based on what I've seen and read, no one will ever convince me it's anywhere near as harmful as cigarettes.  But to each his own.  I've known people who used it to give up cigarettes.  My 16-year-old nephew researched it and started smoking weed to clear his lungs of mucus (he had Cystic Fibrosis) and his lung function increased by 22 percent.   His doctors had no idea why, and my sister wasn't about to tell them for fear she'd be jailed.  He was able to function (IQ of 125) quite well, attend school regularly finally, and eat, which meant he put on weight (I could show you pictures).  He was prescribed cannabinol (pill) by his doctors, but because it's impossible to titrate (sp?) the dose properly he usually wound up stoned out of his gourde and hated it.  What killed him eventually were all the antibiotics.  But that's a different thread.  ;)

servias

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 01:28:33 AM »

YOU are brave! I saw your new quit blog.  Congrats!  Now you have to check into it every single day and we shall hold you accountable!  You can do this if you want it! ;D

Gina

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 03:10:11 AM »

Oh what have I done...................    ::);D ;D :P :-\ :'(

servias

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 04:17:10 AM »

What have you done>>??? You have made a commitment to turn your life around!!  Congratulations its the best thing you can do for  yourself!

Gina

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 01:25:43 AM »

Under pressure, under pressure...  Know that song, Dave?

No, actually, I think the blog is a great idea.  See ya there. :)

Joel

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 12:02:42 AM »

I quit smoking four years ago yesterday! May 21st 2008
Thank the Lord for it being as easy as it was.

Joel

Gina

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 12:06:11 AM »

Maybe I'm missing something.  I've gotten lots of advice over the years.  I'm on a never ending quest it seems.  How was it easy for you?  I'm jealous.

indianabob

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 12:13:25 PM »

I quit smoking four years ago yesterday! May 21st 2008
Thank the Lord for it being as easy as it was.

Joel

Hi Joel & Gina,
I quit smoking on September 2nd 1965
2012 - 1965 = 47 years ago
I was a police officer driving on patrol, alone all night listening to the am band radio and Franklyn MacCormack etc. so the temptation was always there. That autumn I became very sick with sore throat and had to take several days off from work. I couldn't breathe let alone smoke, so the nicotine left my system. The police Doctor advised that I would need to quit so I did. No credit to me, it just finally seemed the best thing to do. My wife continued to smoke for a couple of years and I of course led the children to pick on her about her breath smelling like an ash tray. You don't realize how disgusting it is until you quit and I liked to kiss my wife on the lips when we were getting passionate so you can imagine that there was lots of motivation of a positive type as well.
I think God was intervening even then although I wasn't consciously aware of it.
Three years later I joined Worldwide Church and smoking was frowned upon >:(
I hope that anyone who is fighting this will be able to let God help them as well.
I know that it ain't easy, but neither is stoning or shipwreck or 39 lashes with a wet whip.

We all should expect to suffer somewhat for our liberty in Christ and giving up stuff that isn't good for us anyway like smoking or sugar or a bad temper is little enough to suffer for the unimaginable gifts that shall be ours.

Kindly offered, Indianabob  :)

Gina

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 12:41:50 PM »

Thanks, Bob. :)  I actually quit once when I was 11 and then again in the summer between the 9th and 10th grades, and then started again when I saw a couple friends smoking.  My parents always smoked and so did family members.

About seven years ago I got sick as a dog and went three weeks without a cigarette and dreamt some of the wildest dreams--mostly relating to smoking.  I was so depressed.  I wanted a cigarette so bad, but I didn't want to want one. But I picked it back up again when I went to work for a female attorney who was being run out of the firm we worked in.  She was being papered to death and guess who had to handle all that paper?  So anyway....  I don't know. 

I know I'll quit one day.............  pray it's sooner, not later.   

Thank you for your encouragement, though!

Samson

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 08:07:22 PM »

Thanks, Bob. :)  I actually quit once when I was 11 and then again in the summer between the 9th and 10th grades, and then started again when I saw a couple friends smoking.  My parents always smoked and so did family members.

About seven years ago I got sick as a dog and went three weeks without a cigarette and dreamt some of the wildest dreams--mostly relating to smoking.  I was so depressed.  I wanted a cigarette so bad, but I didn't want to want one. But I picked it back up again when I went to work for a female attorney who was being run out of the firm we worked in.  She was being papered to death and guess who had to handle all that paper?  So anyway....  I don't know. 

I know I'll quit one day.............  pray it's sooner, not later.   

Thank you for your encouragement, though!

Gina,

If it's your desire to quit smoking, I hope God answers your Prayers. You have to hate smoking and not desire to do so, only God can cause you to not desire this practice and to hate it. I quit twice for seven years, but I'm also a smoker, but I don't hate smoking, don't want to be a phoney and state that I hate it when I don't. People with type A personalities, aggressive go getters and ones that get bored easy tend to either smoke, overindulge in Alcohol, are sex addicts, workaholics, exercise aholics or some type of " oholic."

Of course, there are worse things you could be doing, I'm sure you already know what they are, Personally, I don't want to quit smoking cigarettes and replace it with a worse habit like mistreating My Wife, etc. Ray admits in an Email that the bible doesn't specifically mention it, although He says it's definitely a Carnal act, basically what isn't.

Ray's Email Response Below.

Dear Friend out there:

I believe that your friends attitude is actually more important than the lusts of the fresh that he enjoys. Often people (both sexes) are on their "best behavior" when they are courting. They are trying to "close a sale" if you will, and they know that it is important to "APPEAR" better than they really are. Am I saying this is the case with your friend? No. I don't really know your friend. I am merely forewarning you what you need to be aware of.

I know people who smoke and drink who are fine people. Do most such people have a deep love for the Truths of God and strong desire to live out the Truths of God in their personal lives? No. Not generally. But then again, there are those who are real religious zealots who don't fare much better even without some of these carnal desires of the flesh.

If your friend is suggesting that smoking pot is okay, how do you know he is not already doing it, but testing you to see how receptive your are to the idea?

There is no mention of "smoking" in the Scriptures, as it appears to have been a more recent invention of modern times, so I can't give you specific examples of it in Scripture. It is a "lust of the flesh." It produces physical pleasure, but apparently GREAT PHYSICAL DAMAGE to the body. My father smoked for over a half century and died a horrible painful death from emphysema.

And if one of the parents smoke, you can almost bet that the children will smoke.

As for drinking. No, the wine mentioned in Scripture was not weak like water. There are a dozen or more Scriptures that make reference to "drunkenness" and it is always condemned.
Here are a few:

"And take heed to yourselves  lest at any time your hearts be overcharged [weighed down] with surfeiting [carousing], and DRUNKENNESS, and care of this life, and so that day come upon you unaware" (Luke 21:34).

"Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and DRUNKENNESS, not in chambering [licentiousness] and wantonness [lewdness], not in strife and envying. But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and MAKE NO PROVISION FOR THE FLESH, TO FULFILL THE LUSTS THEREOF" (Rom. 13:13).

"Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulsions, wrath, strife, sedition's, herisies, envyings, murder, DRUNKENNESS, revelings, and such like of the which I tell you before as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things SHALL NOT INHERIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD" (Rom. 5:19-21).

All these warnings being said, is there a proper use of alcohol? Yes there is. Jesus drank wine, as did all the Apostles. Jesus turned water into wine at the wedding in Cana. And surely as the host suggested, they did not save the best "grape juice" till last--it was WINE.

Wine and STRONGER drinks were permissible under the law of Moses:

"And you shall bestow that money for whatsoever your soul lusts after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for STRONG DRINK..." (Deut. 14:26).

Notice that even Paul (who sternly warned against "drunkenness"), that wine can be beneficial:

"Drink no longer water, but use A LITTLE wine [don't get DRUNK] for thy stomach's sake and your often [frequent] infirmities [sicknesses]" (I Tim. 5:23).

So there, briefly, is what the Scriptures say regarding wine and strong drink, but your situation will have to be evaluated by you. Ask God to guide you in ALL YOUR DECISIONS IN LIFE.

I realize that your problem is no smaller now than before you wrote to me, but maybe there is some wisdom here for you to consider.  Let me just say this: Character flaws that have the potential to escalate over time, will drive away any strong romantic attractions that you are feeling NOW.

We will all pray for your best future.

God be with you,

Ray

Gina, I'm not justifying smoking in what I present above, but admittedly, I'm afraid to quit at this time for fear I'll become a much bigger Jerk than I already am. I recall the last time I quit, not only did I gain weight, I became an abusive Jack Jerk(can't use the word I want here). So, I figured that it I get overly aggressive and abusive to my Wife, it would be worse than smoking outside and not bothering anyone else. So, when God puts the desire in Me to quit and hate the practice, then I will, but don't want to discourage you.

Just Being Honest, Samson.

servias

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 09:38:14 PM »

If you had to have nicotine I'd rather you were on "Snus" as its less harmful to your health. 

http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/features/snus-tobacco-health-risks

Joel

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 11:54:26 PM »

Hi Gina,
I pray that you with the help of the Lord, will be able to stop smoking soon.
When I started smoking back in the early sixties there were more people smoking than not it seemed.
I smoked every brand of cigarettes on the market and preferred the stronger smokes, including the filterless ones.

Like I. Bob, I was sick for three days straight and was able to quit for awhile. But often desired to smoke on many occasions. Eventually taking up the habit once again, but this time the milder brands helped me to not feel some of the bad side effects.

Four years ago I was able to buy a pack with the thought in mind that it would be my last pack, and was able to smoke that last cigarette and not buy, or bum another. Since that day I've not really had and overpowering need to smoke again.
I thank the Lord for his help and blessings!

Joel

Gina

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 12:58:53 AM »

Hey, Samson!  I know there are worse things than being a smoker.  I'm not judging other smokers, just myself.  I know how incredibly difficult it is to stop smoking, so my heart goes out to you.  I believe this is God's will for my life and have for ever since I started smoking.

Hello, DTM:   Not sure who your comment was to, me or Samson.  ;)

Hi, Joel:  Thank you so much for that.  :)

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 02:40:07 AM by Gina »

servias

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 01:30:55 AM »

Gina - that comment was for anyone really.  I would not want to suggest anyone stay on nicotine but if you must, try to at least  get hooked on a safer alternative if possible.  Sounds easy..... and I know it isn't......  ;D   By the way I'm expecting another blog entry soon!  ;)

servias

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 03:50:52 AM »

You Can DO THIS!!  I'm 78 days nicotine free don't make me do this alone!  ;D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.