bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your opinion?  (Read 4547 times)

nightmare sasuke

What's your opinion?
« on: July 21, 2006, 04:06:00 AM »

1Pe 4:5  Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.
1Pe 4:6  For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

What's your opinion?

MG

Re: What's your opinion?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 04:22:09 AM »

I don't know, but I just saw that scripture yesterday and wondered what it meant.

Christine

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 01:31:46 PM »

Without explaining or giving my own personal opinnion, here are just some verses to consider:

Joh 6:53  Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

Rom 8:11  But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

Eph 5:14  Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

ned

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 02:20:43 PM »

Here are my thoughts:

vs. 5
The quick are those who have been "quickened by the spirit", His chosen.
The dead are those who live in the world and for the world, in the darkness.

vs.6
The gospel is preached unto them that are dead (the "many called" and all others, the non-chosen, those in darkness). Remember, the end of times shall not come until ALL NATIONS have been preached to (Matt24:14).  They will be judged in the flesh (as sinners) and raised in the spirit (after they've gone through the lake of fire).

Marie

nightmare sasuke

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 02:25:09 PM »

"I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom" (2Ti 4:1, KJV).

It is my belief that "dead" is being used literal in the instance of 1Pe 4:5. If so, we can only define verse 6 based on the context of verse 5.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 02:27:25 PM by nightmare sasuke »

ned

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 06:58:01 PM »

Hi NS,

MY KJV bible cross-references
1Pet4:6 "For this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, ..."

with
1Pet3:19 "By which also he (Jesus) went and preached unto the spirits in prison",

and then this verse is cross-referenced to
Isaiah 42:7 "To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house."

Which leads me to believe that the dead are not literally dead, but spiritually dead. 

This word dead is translated from Greek #3498 nekros (which could be figuratively dead), and in other scripture (ie. Luke 8:53 "And they laughed him to scorn, knowing that she was dead") the word dead is translated from Greek #599 meaning to die off, be dead.

Anyone else?  I'd like to keep searching till we can find the truth and agree  ;).

Marie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.