bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spiritual or Religious?  (Read 5541 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Spiritual or Religious?
« on: June 12, 2012, 12:03:01 PM »

Are you spiritual or religious?

A Spiritual person seeks knowledge and truth.
A Religious person seeks the rewards.

Craig

mharrell08

Re: Spiritual or Religious?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 12:09:02 PM »

I would go a step further and state it is better to seek wisdom in order to apply knowledge and truth in your life and how to treat one's fellow man. Some seek knowledge and truth but only for ego and pride and not for their personal betterment nor others.

arion

• Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 12:47:16 PM »

Well, after having my 40 years in the desert [and it's still a little dry at times] I just want the truth.  God didn't fit in the little theological box that my denomination tried to stuff him into.  It's hard to let go of some of those idols of the heart but when those idols begin to go we get glimpses of God's glory that are simply astounding.  The rewards don't even motivate me anymore.  God will get me where I need to be when I need to be there.  I just want to play my part in His plan whether it be small or great....and it is enough for me.

Samson

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 01:17:29 PM »

I would go a step further and state it is better to seek wisdom in order to apply knowledge and truth in your life and how to treat one's fellow man. Some seek knowledge and truth but only for ego and pride and not for their personal betterment nor others.

The above is so true, what good is knowledge & truth without the application thereof. Ancient Greek Philosophers sought knowledge & Truth, but didn't necessarily apply it to better there lives.

Some of the Greek Church "Fathers" were aware of the eventual salvation of All and that Man's Carnality needed to be removed through purification by spiritual fire, but taught the masses Endless Punishment in order to control them by invoking fear, so they had a knowledge & some truth, but didn't desire to use it for the benefit of the common people, they had an obscured heart.

Thanks, Samson.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 07:32:18 PM by Samson »

Samson

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 01:27:20 PM »

Are you spiritual or religious?

A Spiritual person seeks knowledge and truth.
A Religious person seeks the rewards.

Craig

Good Topic Craig,

Well, interesting too, because People in the past in reference to Me have stated: " Your Religious" or "He's Religious," and my response was usually, " I hate Religion or I'm not Religious, I believe in the Scriptures and would like to get a better understanding of them so I know for sure what God wants Me to do and what His Plan for Mankind is.

Jas 1:26  If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
Jas 1:27  Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

G2357 (Religious)
θρῆσκος
thrēskos
thrace'-kos
Probably from the base of G2360; ceremonious in worship (as demonstrative), that is, pious: - religious.

G3152 (Vain)
μάταιος
mataios
mat'-ah-yos
From the base of G3155; empty, that is, (literally) profitless, or (specifically) an idol: - vain, vanity.

My Two Cents, Samson.

Kat

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 01:45:40 PM »

Everybody claims to want the truth, but what is it that Ray used to say, "Hell hath no fury like a Christian just shown the Truth."  I think the church is totally blind to what is spiritual and the truth. To people in the world/church it's all about the physical and rewards, just like with their prosperity teaching. But Jesus says something different.

Mark 10:42  Jesus called them together and said, "You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them.
v. 43  Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant,
v. 44  and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all.

So a servant and a slave is the truth of what you must become. I don't see that many Christians would be willing to sink to the bottom of their hierarchy church system, they have their reward.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

John from Kentucky

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 04:16:06 PM »

When Jesus was near the end, He looked forward to returning to be with God the Father.

I think I'll follow Him.  Once you have God, or rather God has you, everything else falls into place and you receive all things and don't have any worries.

The 1st commandment is to put God first in your life, and Him alone.

ez2u

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 11:25:01 AM »

wonder how far this goes because i find in in my life the pat on the back helps,  often times its puzzling we are made one way only to become another!
designed by God.  why all the trouble?  our human nature is so fickle   i believe Paul talked about this too "i do what i don't want to do...."     We all have this first Adam nature  to be changed into the Christ nature.  I am guilty  and no good can come out of me except  the Christ  which is not of my doing but His and we are all living in this state of limbo ( come Lord Jesus)  its seems that way  He chooses to work His nature in us is very painful  the white firer flames.  my mind says  why all the torture?  why the pain?   there is no answers  only to look at the fruit that it brings.  The last few years of Rays life were so beautiful, so full of thanksgiving deep in his being.  it made me cry to read his letters to us.  i posted a small part of one and the response was great    My facebook friends are hungry for the Christ.  The cost was great  or was it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 18 queries.