bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Carnal Christians  (Read 4019 times)

SandyFla

Carnal Christians
« on: July 21, 2006, 03:43:18 PM »

Here's something I've thought about before, but it really hit me last night:

I Corinthians 1:10-13 says:

10. Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11. For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12. Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

Later, in I Corinthians 3:3, Paul says, "For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?"

This sounds exactly like modern-day churches. Methodists say, "I am of John Wesley"; Baptists say, "I am of John Calvin"; Lutherans say, "I am of Martin Luther"; etc. Yet, in all my years of attending church, I've never once heard anyone compare themselves to the Corinthians in this Scripture.

Followers of John Wesley (I know them best, as I attended a Wesleyan church and grew up in the Wesleyan Methodist denomination) claim that they are NOT CARNAL when they are sanctified through a second work of grace. Yet, if they looked at the Scripture above, they would see that they are as carnal as the day is long ... or maybe not, as they are blinded by the Lord to these truths.

Sandy

ned

Re: Carnal Christians
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 05:46:31 PM »

Hi Sandy,
I like it when I can apply scripture to real life.  I thank God that He has shown me His Word.

Later, in I Corinthians 3:3, Paul says, "For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?"

This verse tells me to EXPECT carnal christians, who envy, have strife, divisions and walk as men (ie. of the world).

Because God has prepared me for it, when I see it I truly marvel at His work.  There are MANY carnal christians walking today, you are right, it is very descriptive of the modern church today.  Also, a warning to us as well, if we feel any envying, strife, or have divisions among us, we have probably strayed from His Word.

Peace to you,
Marie

lauraathome2005

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 03:15:03 AM »

Isn't it awesome that at some time there will be no division?  I think that is the coolest, knowing (the hope I have) that at some appointed time, the question "who are you of?" will no longer be necessary.  All my love and His Blessings, Laura

Brett

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 12:10:55 AM »

Here's something I've thought about before, but it really hit me last night:

I Corinthians 1:10-13 says:

10. Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11. For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12. Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

This sounds exactly like modern-day churches. Methodists say, "I am of John Wesley"; Baptists say, "I am of John Calvin"; Lutherans say, "I am of Martin Luther"; etc. Yet, in all my years of attending church, I've never once heard anyone compare themselves to the Corinthians in this Scripture.

Followers of John Wesley (I know them best, as I attended a Wesleyan church and grew up in the Wesleyan Methodist denomination) claim that they are NOT CARNAL when they are sanctified through a second work of grace. Yet, if they looked at the Scripture above, they would see that they are as carnal as the day is long ... or maybe not, as they are blinded by the Lord to these truths.

Sandy

Sandy,

Wow! I have seen the verses for long time but never though of what you said:
"This sounds exactly like modern-day churches. Methodists say, "I am of John Wesley"; Baptists say, "I am of John Calvin"; Lutherans say, "I am of Martin Luther"; etc."

Thank you Sandy for the sharing us.  :D

Brett
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.