bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Solving the Enigma of God  (Read 5851 times)

Kenneth Clark

Solving the Enigma of God
« on: June 20, 2012, 08:37:14 PM »

i just read the first installment on bibletruths.com and in it Ray states that there are no known Hebrew New Testament manuscripts.  I did a study on the book of Matthew a while back and found out that there is a Hebrew Matthew.  Its called Shem Tovs Hebrew Matthew.  Has anyone else ever heard of this manuscript?

Gina

Re: Solving the Enigma of God
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 09:07:14 PM »

Hi there!

Long time no speak. :)

Here's what Ray says:

WHERE ARE ALL THOSE MISSING MANUSCRIPTS?

Some argue that the original gospels, for example, where not written in Greek, but in Hebrew, and certainly the Father's Name, YHWH, would HAVE to be in them. But there are no Hebrew gospels written by the apostles. No one has ever found even one.

I didn't take Ray to mean that there were no Hebrew Gospels to be found, period, but rather, there are none to be found that were originals which were written by the apostles.

Hope that helps.

Ciao!

Kenneth Clark

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 09:10:59 PM »

Yes...yes it does...thanks Gina

John from Kentucky

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 09:12:09 PM »

i just read the first installment on bibletruths.com and in it Ray states that there are no known Hebrew New Testament manuscripts.  I did a study on the book of Matthew a while back and found out that there is a Hebrew Matthew.  Its called Shem Tovs Hebrew Matthew.  Has anyone else ever heard of this manuscript?

In Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire he discusses the point that apparently there did exist a Hebrew version of The Gospel of Matthew because several ancient writers speak of it.

However, to my knowledge there is no current existing copy of a Hebrew Gospel of Matthew.  For anyone to state otherwise, then they must tell us where this manuscript is stored.  Where is it?  Who owns it?

In any event, the fact that there was both a Hebrew and Greek manuscript is not of any significance.

Being a tax collector, Matthew had to be an educated man and speak several languages.  In that area of Palestine, an educated man would have to be conversant in at least four languages for various purposes.  Those languages were: Greek, Hebrew, Latin, and Aramaic.  The fact that he wrote a Hebrew version for the Jews makes sense.  Also, a Greek version makes sense too because that was the common language over the Roman Empire at that time, especially the Eastern portion.

Since Matthew wrote both versions, it makes sense that they said the same thing. 

Kenneth Clark

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 09:18:16 PM »

i found this...

"Matthew collected the oracles (ta logia) in the Hebrew language, and each interpreted them as best he could." - Papias (Eusebius, H.E. 3.39.16)

Gina

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 09:26:58 PM »

And?

Kenneth Clark

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 09:51:41 PM »

i dont know...sounds like the original was in Hebrew and others copied it in their own languages??? 

Kenneth Clark

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 09:58:30 PM »

why is it that everywhere i turn there is a stumbling block.  i could go crazy with all the different point of views and translations and this and that etc etc.  has anyone ever had more than one mentor that each teach something different but the same?  how do i hold fast on truth when being yanked all over?

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 10:04:29 PM »

why is it that everywhere i turn there is a stumbling block.  i could go crazy with all the different point of views and translations and this and that etc etc. 

Part of the plan...

mharrell08

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 10:17:49 PM »

why is it that everywhere i turn there is a stumbling block.  i could go crazy with all the different point of views and translations and this and that etc etc.  has anyone ever had more than one mentor that each teach something different but the same?  how do i hold fast on truth when being yanked all over?

If everything were simple and plain to understand, there would be no need to have faith. Like Dennis said, part of the plan.  :)

Heb 11:1  Now faith is assurance of things hoped for, a conviction of things not seen [ASV]

I notice people tend to feel 'yanked around' when they are the ones doing the yanking to themselves. It's the equivalent of being double-minded. When you learn to be content in the truths you do know, that's when God opens up more to you. That's how you apply parables like The Faithful Stewart Given Talents [Matt 25:14-30] to your life.

Hope this helps,

Marques

adiamondintheson

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 10:36:05 PM »

In our time of studying all of the new things we have been presented, the 'yanking' feeling comes in trying to understand too many things at once.  It's been awesome to see all of these truths come together... things that never made sense before are being clearly seen.  So when we come to a place we don't 'get it'... we have found that if we just give it time, and stay with it... the lights come on...!!!

We are just so thankful for all the work that has been done, by L Ray... and for Dennis being faithful to go through the things Ray has put together, and put it together for us.

Thank you so much, Dennis
Den & Connie

Gina

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 11:04:24 PM »

I will pray that God settles you, Kenneth! :) 

It's not easy to let go of what very may be an idol of our heart.  I know. 

If the shoe were on the other foot and Ray came back and said the Name of  God is Jehovah I'd probably be a little sad, too, because I'm used to saying and hearing His Name as Jesus. 

But I'm so glad it's Jesus and I'm not going to apologize for being happy.   I love it!  It's got a nice ring to it and it's got less syllables.  (Score 2 points), and it's easier to spell (score another point), and it's easier to pronounce. (Score 100 points for that ;D). 

I know that some take these things very seriously int their efforts to please God.  And, I don't mean to sound flip about it; it's just that to me it's like, wow, why get all worked up over the "letter" when it's the Spirit that gives life?  But that's easy for me to say, because I LOVE the name Jesus!

God will settle you Kenneth eventually, but it's going to take time.  I hope you feel better soon, friend. :)

Kenneth Clark

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 11:10:11 PM »

Life is like playing a violin in public . . . and learning the instrument as one goes on.    ~Samuel Butler~
(Life is sooo like that.  )

ha!

thank you all for the kind words

Kenneth
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 23 queries.