bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Camping Calendar  (Read 8450 times)

Gina

doug

Re: Camping Calendar
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 11:51:37 PM »

Ahhh... those were the days my friend, I thought they'd never end....

What you ask? 

Why... Camping's Calendar!

You see... back in the spring of '94 I had a farm auctioneer come out to my place... and with a huge crowd... sold every last thing I owned.... except the clothes I was wearing and a box of family pictures.  I kept my property but it was now barren of all material things  -  farm implements, horse trailer, vehicle, stove, fridge, washer, dryer, clothing, wood working shop, memorabilia, furniture, antiques, everything.... and I mean everything.  I "cleaned house".  Almost sold my family pictures but someone who bought a "lot" gave the pics back to me.  Said they didn't want them.  What junk I had left... was burned in a huge bon fire that lit up the night sky.  Looked down at my old dirty shoes.... thru those in too. I felt really liberated!

And now you're scratching your heads and asking why I would do a dumb thing like that?  Well, you see, I trusted a "man".  Very much so.  I thought he was "top dog" in spiritual knowledge.  I believed his knowledge of the bible was infallible. I thought he was the closest person between God and me on this planet.  His name was Harold Camping (of Family Radio fame).  Most here have never heard of him, but there are a few on this forum who have.... and have also experienced his teaching.

I was layed off from work for almost a year at that time (was separated and living alone) and instead of looking for an available job, I decided I would live the next few months "free" with the cash from the auction until Jesus would appear from the heavens and "rapture" me on September 7, 1994!  My wife at the time had left me because (among other things pertaining to Mr. Camping) I didn't even want to name my child who was going to be born on the 28th of Sept.  What would be the point? I asked.  At that time I believed in eternal torment forever. I was "heaven" bound and no one was going to stop me.  Beulah Land here I come!

Of course September 1994 came and went.  And then there were other predictions.... they came and went also.  And as the years went by... a couple more.

My separated wife then divorced me around the year 2000 and took our three young children with her.  I lost interest in Family Radio and still listened to HC occasionally on a battery operated shortwave radio but I was mostly fellowshiping with the Protestant Reformed Church through literature mailings as there wasn't a church in the area.  I regained employment and lived as a "recluse" in an old abandoned trailer on my property in the forest.  Nearly 10 years of no electricity, plumbing, running water but did construct myself a nice outhouse!  I might be dumb.... but I'm not stupid!!   What a "trip" those years were.

But now I have to renig on saying that I am not stupid.  I was sucked in again with HC's new end time date of May 21, 2011.  That's why I went to Tijuana to have my teeth repaired as to look presentable while passing out "Does God Love You" tracts overseas with Family Radio's Project Jonah.  But God most surely intervened this time!  Without going into any detail, I met a dear woman child of God who had also been in HC's grips for many years.  Through her on line blog site she patiently presented to me correct biblical exegesis of why no one can know the day or hour of Christ's return.  I was singing praise from the depth of my heart from that time on... turned off Family Radio and Harold Camping and have never looked back. 

On May 21 of last year I was taking in the aroma of the pine forest in my "retreat" laying half naked on an adirondack chair soaking up the warm rays of the sun (Son) while reading a nice adventure novel.  May 21 came and went.  Along with never, never, ever, ever, ever date setting or putting my trust in a "man" again.

As the old Ricky Nelson song goes.....    'I LEARNED MY LESSON WELL'

Gina

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 12:17:59 AM »

Wow, that is some story, Doug.  (ah,  I love that song!)

Well, don't stop there, doug -- I wanna hear how you discovered B-T.  Please continue...  This is fascinating.  Oops!  Sorry, I'm veering off topic. 

Or am I....

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 12:20:37 AM »

Hi Doug.  I can relate, though not as 'extremely'.  I guess I'm just too bland and boring.   ;)

He's not the only one convinced he can set dates.  I've been hearing them since I was a boy, but was most effected by "The Late Great Planet Earth" by Hal Lindsey (at least the 'version' that was in print in the 70's).  We 'studied' it on sunday nights for several weeks.  Then there was the Scofield Reference Bible with it's 'prophetic footnotes'.  Then we had an 'evangelist' come to preach a 'revival'.  He didn't so much set a date...just a year.  It was a few years away, but close enough to effect some life decisions that still affect me today.

It's only still been fairly recently that I've come to understand that THEY THEMSELVES are more a fulfillment of prophecy than the the 'prophecies' they claimed to understand. 

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Gina

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 12:23:51 AM »

It's only still been fairly recently that I've come to understand that THEY THEMSELVES are more a fulfillment of prophecy than the the 'prophecies' they claimed to understand. 

Well put.

doug

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 01:00:41 AM »

Well put.

Yeah Dave, you pretty much summed it up with your last statement.  I agree with Gina... very well put.  Sometimes God has to really bean us over the head to drive home a point.  As I stated in a PM to another dear sister on this forum.... I have no regrets.  I am not bitter.  God uses evil to teach us good.  If we ask, God will show us right from wrong.  If I wasn't being chastised and corrected.... then I would have to be concerned with my standing with God. I know I am on the right path... especially being on this wonderful site.

Gina  -   no I am going to end the short testimony here.  That humorous calendar somehow triggered me. I only get in this type of mood only so often.  Maybe it will help someone else in their walk.  Someday something else may cause a continuing response... and believe me... there is lots more... "extremely" as you put it Dave.  Makes me ashamed and sad more than anything.  But when I start reading God's Word again... well... I get out of it.   :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:11:26 AM by doug »

Gina

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 01:18:01 AM »

Bummer.

Gina

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 01:57:20 AM »

My "witch" post is about Mystery Babylon the Great/the world and how easily we are ALL deceived by her.  The cool thing about that song is how she loses her power to "hold us close" once our eyes are opened.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 02:05:03 AM by Gina »

doug

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 02:01:49 AM »

By the way -

I certainly do not want to leave the impression that Mr. Harold Camping was, is, or any way a false prophet, an evil man, or anything of the sort.  For the eighteen years (and two east coast bible conferences) I listened to him and many others on Family Radio as a learning bible student,  he was (now 92 yrs. old) the most sincere man in the ministry that I have ever known.  From the time he founded the station in the late 50's he never took one dime for himself from his listeners.  Like Ray, he never asked for money for that ministry.  He was of the biblical example.... freely you receive.... freely give.  He lived in a very modest home and owned an older model used car.  He loved the word of God but like most people, he had his shortcomings in a few areas. And that shortcoming was, in a word, Big Time!  God has most certainly chastised him by openly shaming him.

From HC I learned about the falsity of free will, eternal torment, tithing, water baptism, works for salvation, and the truth of the process of on going salvation and several other key doctrines.  His shortcoming was because of his love for "numbers" (he was a civil engineer by trade) and he put together a biblical time line of history from Adam on.  He was not a pastor, never went to theological school and was a very humble teacher.  An honest man by any other word.

In other words... he was NOT like the traditional big talkin' end time evangelists that have their many books and profit by the gullibility of their listeners.  By all means... Mr. Camping led thousands astray with his end time teachings.... but you know what?  He publicly repented  and said he would never attempt that wrong teaching again.  Now how many end time book writers do that?

Gina

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 02:38:55 AM »

:-X

Gina

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 03:05:23 AM »

I'm like you, I could never hate that man.  I just got the biggest kick out of that calendar.  So now, instead of making people miserable, he makes them laugh.   ;D

doug

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 10:39:21 AM »

Right on Gina,

It was from HC that I first learned the deeper biblical understanding as to not hate our fellow man... and then coming here... Ray followed up on that beautifully!

I still respect the man for his repentant heart, and so just like all the ministries I have come across and studied under... you glean out the good and throw out the bad.  With each new ministry that God has been leading me to -- they are progressively getting more true to scriptural understanding.   God's providence I'm sure of.

But now I have a problem   :-\  I'm finding it difficult to see any error at all on B-T.  (nice problem to have huh!)  :)

Gina

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 12:16:38 PM »

~  ~  W E L C O M E   TO   M Y   W O R L D   ~  ~

I can say without a doubt you're in good hands w/ Ray's writings and all. 

I'd also tell you to keep looking so you can see that with your own eyes!

Even after all my crap (which isn't much different from yours), God kept having to pull me back from putting my trust in Ray the man (I loved that man almost instantly).  But the prayers of a righteous man availeth much.

Glad you're here.  One question:  what's an Adirondack chair?   ;)

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 12:22:30 PM by Gina »

indianabob

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 03:05:39 PM »

Jumpin-g in here over top of Gina  ;)

I've been reading a lot of Doug's previous comments and seeing a lot of my own experiences along the way. I will candidly admit that my trials were of the "indoor" nature, (no lying naked in the woods) but I too had several mentors along the way and had to repent of following popular men's doctrines. AND learning that it was what God intended for me to show me what didn't work....  :-\  ::)
I think that we three, if I am acceptable as a cohort, could hash out some additional understandings based upon our rough and tumble backgrounds. In any instance, I'm going to read more diligently into Doug's and Gina's letters for some more clues to how you think and reason. Hope you don't mind.

Ole I-bob

Gina

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 04:04:14 PM »

Go for it Bob. 

For the record I didn't know who Camping was till last year. I thought he'd died soon after that mistake-e-poo.  He sure is a funny guy.  (But he's so boring -- no offense.)

Gina

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 04:51:45 PM »

Looks like Camping teaches annihilation.  Am I mistaken?  (And yes, I will pray for Camping.)

doug

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 05:31:38 PM »

Looks like Camping teaches annihilation.  Am I mistaken?  (And yes, I will pray for Camping.)

Yes, HC is very boring to listen to  -  he has a drone monologue, like listening to "white noise"  -  his "Open Forum" is made fun of by many as a closed forum (very rarely is he persuaded to change his mind) and yes, up to about 3 years ago he started teaching annihilation. He came out of the dutch reformed heritage which was very Calvinistic.  TULIP  by all means!

btw Gina- have you checked your PM inbox?

doug

Gina

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 05:39:42 PM »

Yes, and I'll give you a hand with that later!

Gotta run..............

Have a great afternoon!

indianabob

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 12:30:54 AM »

I checked my PM inbox  :-\ no mail so far  :D

Marky Mark

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 01:44:54 PM »

Along with never, never, ever, ever, ever date setting or putting my trust in a "man" again.

There have been and always will be false prophets in the world bringing upon themselves swift destruction... by damnable heresies.

Mat 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Mat 24:11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

2Pe 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

This is why when we spend time in the Word, the Word will in turn spend time in us,giving us the ability to discern the spirits.

1Co 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
1Co 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Since God is the cause of all things [including Mr.Camping's false beliefs] and He Himself brings people and circumstances into our lives, we must always be aware of just why these things are brought about,and the reason is...

1Jn 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

When false prophets come into our lives this is just one way how the Lord gives us the discernment or belief of things in and of His Spiritual Truths.Our God is showing us through His Word how He proves all of us ...out..., as to whether or not we love the LORD our God with all our hearts and to do what He says.

Luk 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

God is not proving us to see what we will do,He already knows what we will do.

But what He does do,is to prove 'to us' Spiritually, within ourselves, whether or not we will follow His Doctrine and not the doctrine of men. He does this by causing us to try the spirits, to see within ourselves if they be false,of a false prophet,or of the truth, from the True prophet. This is how we learn Righteousness from unrighteousness,by walking after the Word and putting evil away.

Deu 13:3 Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.
Deu 13:4 Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.
Deu 13:5 And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken to turn [you] away from the LORD your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed you out of the house of bondage, to thrust thee out of the way which the LORD thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put the evil away from the midst of thee.

The proof is in the pudding and if that pudding is of the Lord, we have nothing to fear.
Presumptuous false prophets who shall presume to speak [in lies] on behalf of the Lord,these false prophets lies will surely not come to pass in His Truth,and of course, the end result is death.

Deu 18:20 But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.
Deu 18:21 And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken?
Deu 18:22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, [but] the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

And where does all this lead us?

A prophecy which comes to pass is to be tried against the word of God to see whether it is of God,Scripture will always prove this out. But a prophecy which does not come to pass should be recognized immediately for the heresy from which it comes. When we try the spirits from which they come,the Lord will always show his chosen few the true intention of His Word, within Spiritual minds.

Gods truths will never fail.

Joh 4:23  But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.......

...and not some type of a false prophet...

Peace...Mark
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.