bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT YOU DON’T KNOW MAKES YOU NOT HOT  (Read 5567 times)

Brett

WHAT YOU DON’T KNOW MAKES YOU NOT HOT
« on: July 22, 2006, 03:46:46 PM »

Hello,

I have question what it mean to German. Ray wrote of his Lake of Fire series from part 7:

My wife Manuela, is German. I asked her if they have a saying in Germany that is the same as one that I gave to her in English. She said, "Yes, but we don’t say it that way." Well, I asked her how they do say it, and she replied:

"WAS DU NICHT WEISST
MACH DICH NICHT HEISS"

Okay. What is that in English? First she informed me the Germans choose these specific words to express this old colloquial saying, because it rhymes so nicely. Here is an exact word for word translation into English:

"WHAT YOU DON’T KNOW
MAKES YOU NOT HOT"

That’s a word for word translation, but as you can plainly hear, in English the rhyme is gone. And we don’t normally speak that way in English either, so the second line of word order must be changed:

"WHAT YOU DON’T KNOW
DOESN’T MAKE YOU HOT"

Now we might contend that this is an accurate translation, but certainly not a good translation. A few of you might not as yet even know what the English counterpart of this saying is. And that is because translating also involves INTERPRETING.
We do, in deed, have a similar saying in America, to this saying in Germany. But in the American version, many would not understand it unless we change a word or two. Now we do have a similar saying in America with the same general thought and wording, and so we would properly translate this old Germany saying as follows:

"WHAT YOU DON’T KNOW
WON’T HURT YOU"

Okay, does anyone know what is mean to German culture of "WHAT YOU DON’T KNOW
MAKES YOU NOT HOT"
? Like Greek word aion mean age/eon to them but other English mean eternal to them, yet English misunderstood to Greek define. I like to learn what it mean to German by "WHAT YOU DON’T KNOW MAKES YOU NOT HOT". I know English translated from German were misunderstand meaning of German define.

Thank you  :D

DaleRay

Re: WHAT YOU DON’T KNOW MAKES YOU NOT HOT
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 02:01:11 AM »

Hi Brett,

I was with you until the last paragraph.  Could you re-word it so I can understand your question please?  Sometimes I'm a little slow...

Thank you,

Dale Ray

Brett

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 03:18:42 AM »

Hi Brett,

I was with you until the last paragraph.  Could you re-word it so I can understand your question please?  Sometimes I'm a little slow...

Thank you,

Dale Ray

Hi Dale Ray,

What I mean like Ray explaining of original Greek manuscripts sometimes the translator misunderstood to translate into English words. Now, Ray gave one example from German's language, for their own language: "WHAT YOU DON’T KNOW MAKES YOU NOT HOT" and the English translate into "WHAT YOU DON’T KNOW WON’T HURT YOU". That is misunderstood to translator because the German never mean 'won’t HURT you’. Because the German’s meaning of their language and is different what English meaning of 'won’t HURT you’.

Sorry, my writing is not clear English. This is part of deaf language ::). I hope you understand, if not, let me know and I will try to write different explain.

Brett :D

jenny06

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 04:39:40 AM »

On the lines of translation...on a train trip my family and I took to California, an Indian spoke of his customs and language on a portion of our trip.  He told us that the slogon for KFC, "Finger Licking Good," translates in his tongue to say, "Arm Licking Good," because they have no word for a finger.  ;D

buddyjc

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 04:05:50 PM »

I believe Ray was just trying to show us what a difficult task it was to translate Greek into English.  The English saying is the closest saying there is to the German.  It was a major undertaking the translators had.  I'm gald I'm not one of them. 

And Brett, I know all about how the deaf write.  I work with two deaf men at my job.  When I first started the job, I got very frustrated, but thankfully they did not.  Their notes to me were difficult to read, but I got passed that and learned to sign.  I realized it was easier for me to learn sign language than for them to learn to hear. :) 

Your Brother,
Brian

Brett

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 12:47:02 AM »

And Brett, I know all about how the deaf write.  I work with two deaf men at my job.  When I first started the job, I got very frustrated, but thankfully they did not.  Their notes to me were difficult to read, but I got passed that and learned to sign.  I realized it was easier for me to learn sign language than for them to learn to hear.   

Thanks Brian. I am glad you tell me of two deaf people in your work. Yes, they are nature of deaf culture. I sign language. The sign language have more picture of communication than talking ;).

God bless,

Brett :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.