bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Any musicians here?  (Read 14218 times)

Shawn Fainn

Any musicians here?
« on: July 03, 2012, 05:43:12 PM »

I had played drums for about 20 years or so, but had to stop playing as I eventually broke too many cymbals and got tired of having the cops called on me everytime I went to practice lol.

About two years ago I decided to pick up a bass guitar, but didn't really start playing it until recently. I've been pretty amazed at how quickly I've been able to pick it up; I guess the rhythm background really helped.

It's been pretty fun playing some old songs I loved, like Rime of the Ancient Mariner, etc

Just curious as to how many musicians were on the forums, and what instruments you guys played, what your influences were? etc

GaryK

Re: Any musicians here?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 06:55:34 PM »

Just curious as to how many musicians were on the forums, and what instruments you guys played, what your influences were? etc

Guitar, rhythm/lead
Dobro
Mandolin

Southern Rock
Rock
Bluegrass, progressive/traditonal
Country, progressive/traditional

levycarneiro

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 10:08:51 PM »

Hello Hudson!

I played electric guitar in church for about 15 years, but only started to feel somewhat decent about 10 years in :)

I'm rusty these days, but I used to play mostly solo, but I love to play some funk / rhythm and blues. Influences: Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, Eddie Van Halen, BB King. Maybe in the next ages I will practice it a bit more hehe

God bless!
Levy

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 12:56:55 AM »

Are songwriters musicians? 

I'm a middling guitar player, but it's been more of a tool than an instrument.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Gabriel

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 05:31:09 AM »

I'm currently learning how to play some of my favorite Johnny Cash tunes!  :)

Shawn Fainn

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 11:07:35 AM »

Mandolin huh? Don't see that everyday. Very cool gk

Levy, have you followed John Petrucci much? I used to listen to him as well as Steve and Eddie.

Gabriel, what instrument?

Dave, I like to think so. I used to write lyrics back in the day when I was a "dummer", then I'd record myself humming and play it back to one of my friends who played guitar to see if they could come up with some music to it. I never understood how to read notes (still don't), but it still comes from within.

Kenneth Clark

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 11:13:26 AM »

i used to play piano when i was younger but when i moved out of mommas house and into the real world, the piano stayed home and my skills deminished.  I now live at the beach and picked up the most wonderful instrument....ukulele

Kenneth Clark

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 11:47:47 AM »

my next album cover... ;D...sooo cheesy...i love it

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 02:02:05 PM »

i used to play piano when i was younger but when i moved out of mommas house and into the real world, the piano stayed home and my skills deminished.  I now live at the beach and picked up the most wonderful instrument....ukulele

Ukelele...that's where I started, back when I was a kid living on Okinawa.  First time I saw a bass guitar, I thought it was just a big electric ukelele.  What size is yours, and how is it tuned?
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Kenneth Clark

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 04:39:29 PM »

i have a soprano solid red cedar standard tuning...my dog has fleas  :D  i love the thing and am getting quite good...very versatile instrument
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 04:43:30 PM by Kenneth Clark »

levycarneiro

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 06:14:28 PM »

Levy, have you followed John Petrucci much? I used to listen to him as well as Steve and Eddie.

Not much, but I listened to a few amazing solos/riffs from him :)

Gina

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 07:28:29 PM »

Hey guys, maybe post some video links to your favorite musicians or something so some of us can see what you're talking about. 

My brothers are pretty talented but never made it big or anything.  My mom had a piano.  I was getting some chords down when I was 10--11 but one day I just gave it up. 

I'd asked my brother Johnny (who could play by ear -- wildest thing you ever saw) to teach me Joni Mitchell's "For Free."  So he showed me the first few chords, and I called him on the phone one day all excited to show him what I'd accomplished. 

And he goes (he he)  Noooooooo!  That's NOT how you do it, Gina!  It goes like this

No joke.  Hey! We're Italian. That's how we communicate.   ( >:(  grrrrr  Very harsh.  Wouldn't recommend it.  Really have to have skin of leather.  Most don't.)

Yeah, so I pretty much gave up the piano after that.  ;D  But I'm totally satisfied to just hear it played.  As long as it's done right.  (Well?!)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 07:57:25 PM by Gina »

servias

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 08:14:25 PM »

Hello Hudson!

I played electric guitar in church for about 15 years, but only started to feel somewhat decent about 10 years in :)

I'm rusty these days, but I used to play mostly solo, but I love to play some funk / rhythm and blues. Influences: Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, Eddie Van Halen, BB King. Maybe in the next ages I will practice it a bit more hehe

God bless!
Levy
I play (or played) bass guitar in a high school band.  Have not really played much after this unfortunatly.  Yes very much like Vai and Satriani!  My guitarist could play them.  But we mostly played Hendrix because it was easier.  8)
Dan

onelovedread

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 11:32:22 AM »

I play the radio and I play the fool. I am pretty good at both.

Gina

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 12:17:21 PM »

Onelove, ha! That was good.

Shawn Fainn

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 12:41:38 PM »

I play the radio and I play the fool. I am pretty good at both.

;D

Gina I'll post some links this weekend sometime. At work they block most of our streaming media (youtube) so don't want to rickroll you or anything with a bad link.

GaryK

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 12:57:01 PM »

Watch the MASTER, Jerry Douglas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAkY3R6lxXk

For any Allman Brothers fans there's a treat toward the end.

Gina

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 01:12:29 PM »

I love that guy and that instrument of his.  He's in Alison Kraus' band. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaiT2ignyEc

Saw them on a PBS special years ago.  So good. 

Gina

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 01:18:15 PM »

http://youtu.be/32_BE6Pf6x0

These people are so smooth.  Ah!

GaryK

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 01:35:52 PM »

http://youtu.be/32_BE6Pf6x0

These people are so smooth.  Ah!

If you like their music then you'll appreciate seeing them live in concert.   
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.