bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Why callest ME Good...none Good but God??  (Read 16419 times)

newgene87

Why callest ME Good...none Good but God??
« on: July 08, 2012, 01:42:25 AM »

ok, this is not a question on the "divinity" of Jesus. not at all. this IS one that is used to attack His divinity but listening to Ray's audio on Jesus is God reassured me today  :D. but i dont recall him expounding on this verse, and this verse has ALWAYS made me wonder why did Jesus even say this??

"And He said to him, Why do you call Me good? No one is good except One, God" (Mat 19:17)
"But Jesus said to him, Why do you call Me good? No one is good except One, God" (Mar 10:18)
"But Jesus said to him, Why do you say Me to be good? No one is good, except One: God" (Luk 18:19)

All 3 Gospels say the same thing and why does Jesus appear to deny he's good and mentions God is the only good one... when He is God?? Or better yet, "Emmanuel" God with us (Mat 1:23). It seems the ruler or the rich young man (whichever one) was acknowledging Jesus as the True Messiah, yet Jesus appears to deny it. and it "appears" (there go appears again) that this contradicts Philippians 2:6 " who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal to God, ". He's equal to God, why even make this remark?? Regardless, i'm going to my family on this, i'm always seeking to learn the Truth on matters like this. I put "appear" intentionally so yall could scold me down with wisdom and truth  8). If this was already discussed, Kat, i'm already counting on you to send me that handy dandy link to fix me right up ;) :D. I would appreciate all the replies. Love all of you!

Eugene

longhorn

Re: Why callest ME Good...none Good but God??
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 02:18:21 AM »

Christ had the same sinfull flesh we have.  Romans 8:3

longhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 02:25:38 AM »

Might add that the reason Christ didn't sin was because he had the full measure of his Father John 3:34.  Christ could only say and do what he heard the Father say and do.  John 5:19-20

newgene87

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 02:55:30 AM »

but how is that direct relation in him saying he's not good?? I mean, He even says that HE is the One Master - Mat 23:8 - and it was revealed from the father for Peter to call him the Christ (Mar 8:29). So to just say he had the same sinful flesh we have is to say he was a sinner....or it's a thin line to say it ???.

Eugene

mharrell08

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 05:52:50 AM »

but how is that direct relation in him saying he's not good?? I mean, He even says that HE is the One Master - Mat 23:8 - and it was revealed from the father for Peter to call him the Christ (Mar 8:29). So to just say he had the same sinful flesh we have is to say he was a sinner....or it's a thin line to say it ???.

Eugene

Perhaps it's simply humility. Doesn't the scripture state He was made 'a little lower' than the angels for the suffering of death? [Heb 2:9].

longhorn

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 08:31:12 AM »

Eugene   Read Romans Chapter 7 with special attention to verse 18.  Christ had the same corruptable flesh that you and I have and " Could not inherit the Kingdom of God ".  1John 4 verses 1-3 will explain your question.  Jesus was not made perfect till the his resurrection Luke 13:32

Longhorn

Kat

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 10:17:48 AM »

Hi Eugene,

Mat 19:16  Now behold, one came and said to Him, "Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?"
v. 17  So He said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments."

Was Jesus saying that He was not good? Jesus did know why the question was put to Him in the way that it was and answered accordingly. Could it be that this young man considered Jesus only a mere man? Could Jesus' answer have been to instruct the man in the knowledge of His proper deity?

Sometimes we hold the view of something in a certain way and we need to look at it from a different perspective. Jesus was not saying that He was not good/God, but was asking and clarifying to the man that as he did call Him/Jesus good, that he should consider where His good came from. Because as Jesus certainly was good and there is only One that is such, God... so therefore the man should understand that He was God by the goodness of the Father that He could see in Him.

Jesus was the God of the OT come down in the flesh and being in the flesh did not remove His deity. He said He was One with the Father and that certainly made Him God.

John 10:30  I and My Father are one."
v. 31  Then the Jews took up stones again to stone Him.
v. 32  Jesus answered them, "Many good works I have shown you from My Father. For which of those works do you stone Me?"
v. 33  The Jews answered Him, saying, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God."
v. 34  Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your law, "I said, "You are gods"'?
v. 35  If He called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken),
v. 36  do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, "You are blaspheming,' because I said, "I am the Son of God'?
v. 37  If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me;
v. 38  but if I do, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, that you may know and believe that the Father is in Me, and I in Him."

mercy, peace and love
Kat

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 01:57:18 PM by Kat »

Kat

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 02:51:44 PM »

Longhorn are you comparing Jesus to Paul? Here is that verse in Romans where Paul states that in his/Pauls flesh dwells no good thing.

Rom 7:18  For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) dwells no good thing. For to will is present with me, but how to perform that which is good I do not find.

And why was Paul unable to perform any good? He said why a few verses before.

Rom 7:14  For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Paul was "sold under sin," was Jesus sold under sin like Paul? Heavens forbid such a blasphemous idea. Jesus was perfect body, Spirit and soul or He could not have been the perfect sacrifice.

1Tim 3:16  And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness; He who was manifested in the flesh, Justified(G1344) in the spirit, Seen of angels, Preached among the nations, Believed on in the world, Received up in glory.

G1344 to render (that is, show or regard as) just or innocent: - free, justify (-ier), be righteous.

Heb 4:15  For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.

Jesus Christ was just - innocent and "without sin." And therefore the only possible hope for mankind was Him as a 'perfect' sin offering.

Heb 7:26  For it was indeed fitting that we should have such a High Priest, holy, innocent, unstained, separated from sinners, and exalted above the heavens.
v. 27  He has no need, like those high priests, to offer sacrifices daily, first for His own sins and then for those of the people, since He did this once for all when He offered up Himself.
v.28  For the law appoints men in their weakness as high priests, but the word of the oath, which came later than the law, appoints a Son who has been made perfect forever.

Our only hope of reconciliation to God is through Jesus Christ, who was "all the fullness of God" in the flesh.

2Co 5:18  All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to Himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation;
v. 19  that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.

Col 1:19-20  For in Him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through Him to reconcile to Himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of His cross.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 04:07:07 PM by Kat »

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 04:52:03 PM »

Jesus is good.  Jesus is God.  Don't let the answer to the rich young ruler's question be worse than the question itself.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

thetruth

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 05:28:48 PM »

Hello,
I believe its in reference to what "SEED" was perceived by the ruler. As that the seed ...the Adam seed was Good....From the few point of the ruler.JESUS was going to make things straight in truth.That its only The "Last Adam"1-Cor 15-45-48 .Christ=Seed.Was good by example of Matt 4-1-11.In which I believe the Scriptures teach Christ crucified the first Adam on the cross.In Samford & Son terms

Look here Boy.The only thing that has the  ability to do good is the Seed of Christ.You will never overcome within your own self {carnality} of the seed of Adam.I will go and crucify  what you call good so you can eventually truly become good.

Which I think works hand and hand with:

Sometimes we hold the view of something in a certain way and we need to look at it from a different perspective. Jesus was not saying that He was not good/God, but was asking and clarifying to the man that as he did call Him/Jesus good, that he should consider where His good came from.Kat

as well as:Perhaps its simple Humility....Marques
Thats my thoughts God Bless!

the truth

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 05:38:34 PM »

Dave love ya Man!Jesus is good.  Jesus is God.  Don't let the answer to the rich young ruler's question be worse than the question itself.
Shaaaazam...Capitan Marvel wouldnt of thought of that!...lol..hehe.LIttle Andy Griffin there...good ole Gomer.

eagle

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 06:48:14 PM »

"And He said to him, Why do you call Me good? No one is good except One, God" (Mat 19:17)

The word except in the dictionary:

conj.
        1. If it were not for the fact that.

The above definition corresponds with the greek, because the word that is translated except is two greek words:

ei  ( if,whether)  and
me (no,not lest)

So a translation could be like this:

"And He said to him, Why do you call Me good? No one is good without One, God" (Mat 19:17)

newgene87

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 07:26:03 PM »

Longhorn are you comparing Jesus to Paul? Here is that verse in Romans where Paul states that in his/Pauls flesh dwells no good thing.

Rom 7:18  For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) dwells no good thing. For to will is present with me, but how to perform that which is good I do not find....

thank you Kat. you put pieces together to clarify that for me. i was headin in that way of perspective and it wasn looking good.... "Jesus, with sinful flesh, sold under sin, but he was God...hmm". but i got it now. thank you all!

Jesus is good.  Jesus is God.  Don't let the answer to the rich young ruler's question be worse than the question itself.

Dave, thanks for that too; but if it was that simple; all of Ray's papers need to be at the most, TWO PARAGRAPHS. I mean yea, Jesus is good, Jesus is God...but uh, i need some clarification  ;) but thanks. with all the answers here, i can put the pieces together in view of Jesus always responded in such a wise way, PARABLE, only really the few can see it in the way of truth  8).

Again, thanks for the love towards your little little brother, okay, i'll take son  :D

And thank you eagle. i had a feeling it couldve been a play on words. But still, i see now. Even as a Man, Jesus still had to direct answers to the focul point. Either He always glorified the Father and/or referred to God first. As i was studying this, Jesus only truly revealed himself to his disciples, never more to the masses. (or i could be wrong).Jesus always gave glory to the Father, yet revealed His relationship to the Father to His Disciples. And something that Ray said that put pieces together for me. "Two people cannot make one person. But two people can make One God" (cant be too far from Rays words from His audio "Jesus is God"). To me, it makes sense. and you all just put it together for me.

Eugene

cjwood

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 08:03:06 PM »

Paul was "sold under sin," was Jesus sold under sin like Paul? Heavens forbid such a blasphemous idea. Jesus was perfect body, Spirit and soul or He could not have been the perfect sacrifice.

kat, i was confused by the bolded section above, which i noted from part of your post.  it is most likely just my misunderstanding of what you were meaning.  my first thought was that you were saying Jesus' actual physical body was perfect, meaning He was never sick while living in the flesh.  i was remembering where ray had mentioned that Jesus Himself did experience sickness.  i found the following email to ray regarding this topic.  i copied the last 2 paragraphs of that email. 

anyway, i was just trying to understand more clearly what you were saying in that particular part of your post. 

claudia

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,7887.0.html

He lived in the midst of scenes of sorrow, and be became intimately acquainted with its various forms, and with its evils. There is no evidence that the Redeemer was himself sick at any time - which is remarkable - but there is evidence in abundance that he was familiar with all kinds of sorrow, and that his own life was a life of grief.

COMMENT:  In addition to this plain teaching of Isa. 53:3, Why did the Pharisees tell Jesus to "heal HIMSELF" if they saw absolutely no "sickiness or disease" in Him? How could Jesus be "healed" of a sickness which He didn't have?

God be with you,

Ray

the truth

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 10:25:45 PM »

Hello again,
One verse that has so much depth to it is:.Luke 24:44 Now He said to them, "These are My words, which I speak to you, still being with you, for all must be fulfilled that is written in the law of Moses and the prophets and psalms concerning Me.

When we consider this verse with the understanding Christ never sinned.He still took on the sins of the World.And do we not think He didn't know that He would?,And Christ Knowing this prophecy...Lk-24-44.Knowing that He was to become the "Sin Offering"for mankind.Do we think Christ was thinking that he was good?He did say "Flesh and blood could not enter the Kingdom."And he had to keep His Order!1-Cor 15-27-28. Christ did say "Why have you forsaken me."The more I read and understand Lk-24-44 the more I think some people are going to be real surprised whats ahead in the milliem reign.just a thought

the truth

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 10:32:51 PM »

P.S.Christ still had to come into obeidence to the plan of the Father!As a man.

Kat

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 10:43:15 PM »

Hi Claudia,

Well was Jesus sickly? I find it is interesting that there is no other Scripture that mentions anything about that whatsoever, other than the Scripture you mention. And in that Scripture it was Jesus that was speaking about a proverb/parable.

Luke 4:23  And He said to them, "Doubtless you will quote to Me this proverb, 'Physician, heal Yourself.' What we have heard You did at Capernaum, do here in Your hometown as well."

If you read this whole passage you will see that He does not seem to be speaking healing sickness. But is speaking of His spiritual work.

Luk 4:18-19  "The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He has anointed Me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent Me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."

We know they thought He had a demon (John 7:20; 8:48; 8:52), was He implying that He thought they would say He should heal Himself of this demon doctrine He was proclaiming? I don't know.

My point in the other post was that there is no doubt to me that Jesus lived a sinless life spiritually and physically, therefore body, spirit and soul. Anyway that's what I'm thinking on this.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 11:29:48 PM »

Gene, you are on the right track.  Jesus NEVER spoke plainly to any but His disciples...and didn't always speak plainly to them.  It should no more seem like Jesus is denying His own Goodness or Godness than it should seem like Nichodemus should enter into his mother's womb to be born again.   

No scripture is it's own interpretation.  We need to follow the 'logic' that doesn't make scripture contradict.  Kat is spot on, particularly her second post.  Not only did Jesus NOT have the "same sinful flesh" that "we do"...WE don't even have "sinful flesh", if by that we mean 'our bodies'.

WE may (and do) use our bodies to commit sin, but there is nothing sinful about our bodies.  Sin is a spiritual condition and comes out of the 'heart'--not the 'blood pumping physical organ', but the Spiritual heart.  HE did not use his body to commit sin, but has a heart to obey the Father.  This is why scripture says He came IN THE LIKENESS of sinful flesh to CONDEMN SIN in the flesh.

As Ray put it, we are not Spiritual Beings having a physical experience, we are physical beings having a Spiritual experience.               
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Gina

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 11:51:15 PM »

I agree with Dave. 

And this might help

John ch. 9

1 And, passing along, He perceived a man, blind from birth.
2 And His disciples ask Him, saying, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents that he should be born blind?"
3 Jesus answered, "Neither this man sinned, nor his parents, but it is that the works of God may be manifested in him.

So you see?  Having an illness is not an indication that someone committed sin or that the flesh itself is sin.  Jesus' body was made of flesh and we all know that the flesh is WEAK.  Jesus' flesh was no different.  Besides, HE WAS AROUND SICK PEOPLE day in and day out healing them, for crying out loud.  Of course He got sick; otherwise what is said here would be totally and completely meaningless:

Isaiah 53:4 

Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted [grievously affected especially by disease; mentally or physically unfit].

This is a cut and paste from my reply on the same topic that came up two years ago:

Okay, this is how it sounds to me:

Jesus was saying to the man, "Why do you call me "good" when you don't even know what 'good' (God) is/does, and I can prove it to you:    Go sell all you possess and give your money (the thing that rules you) to the poor."   Jesus [who is God in the flesh] comes to serve, not to be served. But "service to others" by "emptying" himself was not "good" in the ruler's vocab.  (I'm not judging.)
( http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,11821.0.html )

Hope that helps

newgene87

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 11:52:35 PM »

Gene, you are on the right track.  Jesus NEVER spoke plainly to any but His disciples...and didn't always speak plainly to them.  It should no more seem like Jesus is denying His own Goodness or Godness than it should seem like Nichodemus should enter into his mother's womb to be born again.   

No scripture is it's own interpretation.  We need to follow the 'logic' that doesn't make scripture contradict.  Kat is spot on, particularly her second post.  Not only did Jesus NOT have the "same sinful flesh" that "we do"...WE don't even have "sinful flesh", if by that we mean 'our bodies'.

WE may (and do) use our bodies to commit sin, but there is nothing sinful about our bodies.  Sin is a spiritual condition and comes out of the 'heart'--not the 'blood pumping physical organ', but the Spiritual heart.  HE did not use his body to commit sin, but has a heart to obey the Father.  This is why scripture says He came IN THE LIKENESS of sinful flesh to CONDEMN SIN in the flesh.

As Ray put it, we are not Spiritual Beings having a physical experience, we are physical beings having a Spiritual experience.             

now dave - THAT was SPOT ON. like wow, shot me right in the kisser. 8) both bold quotes are the biggest to me and i will keep this at heart. again, thank you again. I love feasting on the bread of Life :D
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.