bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Top 3 Bibles Translations  (Read 8782 times)

newgene87

Your Top 3 Bibles Translations
« on: July 13, 2012, 01:40:26 PM »

So i'm interested in everyones input. hopefully i can get some numerous replies. I remember reading Ray's paper on "Which Bible Translation is Best" and i will never forget the principles i got from it. but i wonder; from all the brilliant minds of this forum; what are your TOP 3 personally "preferred" bible translations?????? Now i know, 99.99 percent of the time it will have to do with interpretation issues, transliteration issues, hebrew and greek usages, and most of all the Spirit of God in revealing truth. But since we're stuck here in this time zone, with these NUMEROUS amounts of translations and versions and whatever; what do you all (individually) of course, prefer for yourself. in this top 3, what you use to deeply study, reference, and just to read. hope it's not that hard. I have Ray's words while mentioning this too...

"So, even a perfect translation would not keep carnal men from turning from the Truth.

I have a number of translations. Not because they are all necessary to know the Truths of God, but because now I am a teacher and they are helpful in teaching.

Spend more time "praying and obeying" than looking for that perfect translation and you will make faster progress in your Spiritual walk with God." [end quote]

so no, not looking for perfect translations, but curious which do yall like the most

thanks!
Eugene

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Your Top 3 Bibles Translations
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 05:45:21 PM »

CLV (concordant literal version) for study.  It tries hard to translate each different Greek or Hebrew word into a different English word.  Makes it 'wonky' at times, but that (with it's more accurate verb-tense translations) doesn't make it a bad 'readable' translation either.  I check out other "literal" translations as well...most are not exceptionally readable.

KJV (with Strong's numbers) and the KJV concordance for reference, simply because it is the only translation I know which HAS such a large concordance AND because--being the most commonly used and quoted translation--it makes searching and 'comparing' much easier.

The Amplified Bible for reading.  At least at this time.  It 'reads' like I tend to 'write' sometimes...it says the same thing multiple ways and tends to get long-winded.   ;)  It's the "Faulkner" of translations.

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Kat

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 08:23:18 PM »

Hi Eugene,

I primarily use E-Sword, I have found it is easy to use, just click from one source to the other and I rely heavily on the search function. And it has numerous resources (Bibles, Commentaries and Dictionaries) that are all together and the laptop is always open and ready.

I use the New King James for my general reading. I like to referr to the Rotherham, Concordant and Young's a lot for a literal interpretation. The American Standard and English Standard Versions are helpful too. I will also look at the Good News translation sometimes to get the simplest reading. I is so easy to click from one to the other.

If you are interested here is a link to info on E-Sword.
http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,4470.0.html

mercy, peace and love
Kat

newgene87

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 10:20:19 PM »

Hi Eugene,

I primarily use E-Sword, I have found it is easy to use, just click from one source to the other and I rely heavily on the search function. And it has numerous resources (Bibles, Commentaries and Dictionaries) that are all together and the laptop is always open and ready.

I use the New King James for my general reading. I like to referr to the Rotherham, Concordant and Young's a lot for a literal interpretation. The American Standard and English Standard Versions are helpful too. I will also look at the Good News translation sometimes to get the simplest reading. I is so easy to click from one to the other.

If you are interested here is a link to info on E-Sword.
http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,4470.0.html

mercy, peace and love
Kat

thanks Kat. i already have the E-Sword program tho. E-Sword and OliveTree. i use OliveTree for my Note studies since i can sync with my phone, ipad and computer. just trying to narrow down my translations for clearer study. and opinions ;)

thanks

newgene87

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 11:01:26 PM »

I use the CLV and KJV for study, and the NIV for general reading. I also use Esword and an interlinear by J. P. Green for reference.

Eugene, thanks for the tip on Olivetree. Never heard of it but I'm going to check it out. Love the sync feature.

Yes, the notes feature is amazing (once you get the hang of it). its a little complex, but after getting the system down; it gets simple (sort of like this site :P) Esword is better cause it has more free bibles for you; but the note system, you can hyperlink your notes (like esword i believe), but link/connect them with your notes and greek/hebrew words, categorize your notes and hyperlink them as well; olivetree can be a great tool but esword does get the edge with it's better search feature. but esword is ONLY for your computer; while olivetree is almost any smartphone moblie device or electronic tablet. i love it.

my problem is, i cant get Concordant Literal Version on my esword :(. can anyone help me?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:04:21 PM by newgene87 »

Rene

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 12:55:25 AM »

I primarily use Rotherham's Emphasized Bible, Young's Literal Translation, and The Concordant.

René

jopie

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 02:29:27 AM »

For the last 6 years I have been reading through the Bible once a year. using a different translation each time.

Reading the Rotherham's Emphasized this year although find it not easy to read.
I liked the Darby translation somewhat, I keep a half a dozen translations within reach including some Dutch for comparison.
Biblos.com gives 13 Parallel Translations which is sometimes helpful.

servias

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 03:09:12 AM »

I use the CLV and KJV for study, and the NIV for general reading. I also use Esword and an interlinear by J. P. Green for reference.

Eugene, thanks for the tip on Olivetree. Never heard of it but I'm going to check it out. Love the sync feature.

Yes, the notes feature is amazing (once you get the hang of it). its a little complex, but after getting the system down; it gets simple (sort of like this site :P) Esword is better cause it has more free bibles for you; but the note system, you can hyperlink your notes (like esword i believe), but link/connect them with your notes and greek/hebrew words, categorize your notes and hyperlink them as well; olivetree can be a great tool but esword does get the edge with it's better search feature. but esword is ONLY for your computer; while olivetree is almost any smartphone moblie device or electronic tablet. i love it.

my problem is, i cant get Concordant Literal Version on my esword :(. can anyone help me?

Here you go my friend.
http://alampthatburns.net/e-sword/eswmods.htm

chav

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 08:54:43 AM »

Hi
I use ESV for general reading CLNT and Rotherham or Youngs for study The Olive Tree app is absolutely marvellous KJV,Rotherham,Youngs.Weymouth and Darby versions are all free. I have also downloaded Hitchcock's dictionary of bible names which is very useful.Olive tree is available for both android and Iphone as yet there doesnt appear be a version of e-sword available for mobile devices, but I'm sure it will happen one day.
Dave

gmik

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 06:55:49 PM »

I read amplified and the message, but I also love Concordants Literal...

Extol

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 03:02:39 PM »

Concordant Literal

Rotherham's

and...

...the MESSAGE!

Samson

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 03:50:35 PM »

Hi Gene,

The following preferred selections are in no specific order, but are based on the proper translation of Key bible Words, but also how easy the English of the Translation is easy to understand. Generally speaking, I'm capable of knowing where Aion & it's derivatives are supposed to when incorrectly translated "World," Eternal, Forever, Everlasting, etc. Same goes for the Hell, Hell-fire and Punishment Scriptures. Below is my List !

1) Concordant Literal Translation for it's literal accuracy.

2) New King James for it's easy to read verses & footnotes & some corrections over the older KJV.

3) New World Translation, aside from some the verses that show that Jesus is God where they tamper with it & the rendering of Aionios incorrectly, it's easy to read with a good concordance & footnotes contained within. Also, in many places in the Old Testament, they render Olam as " Time Indefinite," which I thought was good.

Carry On Folks, Samson.

cjwood

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 06:59:11 PM »

just wanna sneak in here for a minute to say i am so glad to see your post samson.  i was thinking earlier today that i have missed reading your posts.  so, nice to see you here.

claudia

Samson

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 07:37:31 PM »

just wanna sneak in here for a minute to say i am so glad to see your post samson.  i was thinking earlier today that i have missed reading your posts.  so, nice to see you here.

claudia

Thanks Claudia, been very busy and don't usually comment on Threads that are a rehash of Past Topics. Mainly, because I'm too busy with Chaos at work and because of my deformed leg, it takes Me longer to accomplish the physical things around the House and outdoors than usual. It's nice to hear from you.

Kind Regards, Samson.

Gabriel

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 11:09:01 AM »

gregorydc

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 01:28:54 PM »

1 king james and concordant to study
2 nlt to read is written in fairly modern english
3 I listen to the esv
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.