bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you believe in God?  (Read 5184 times)

24 Grams

Do you believe in God?
« on: July 20, 2012, 08:52:30 PM »

Hi guys,

I'm curious to what your answer would be if someone (preferably one whom you do not know) asks you the question "do you believe in God?"

Personally my answer would be no, as I do not believe in their concept of God and to save myself the time and hassle of having to explain myself.

I also think one of the primary reasons there are atheists is because they have no grasp of who God actually is and associate God with the catholic church (predominantly).

What do y'all think?

doug

Re: Do you believe in God?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 11:41:29 PM »

Hi 24 Grams -

This is the verse that always comes to my mind when someone asks me about God...  especially if I "believe in God".

1 Peter 3:15

New International Version (NIV)

15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,

I don't say anything elaborate... I just let it come from my heart.... and the Holy Spirit always gives me the words to say!  :)

doug

servias

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 11:49:43 PM »

It shouldnt be a hassle for you to briefly explain your beliefs.   If they want to argue move on,  if they want more they will ask. 

Nice verse Doug by the way.....

Dan

space.ace.jase

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 07:23:52 AM »

Hi 24 Grams,

Our answer should be yes as supported by the scripture that Doug showed.

But as always what we should do is different to what we actually do.. In the past I have denied God just like Peter did and I felt truly awful. I felt like I spat in the face of God because I did not want to be judged harshly by man.

Meanwhile, Peter was sitting outside in the courtyard. A servant girl came over and said to him, “You were one of those with Jesus the Galilean.” But Peter denied it in front of everyone. “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said. Later, out by the gate, another servant girl noticed him and said to those standing around, “This man was with Jesus of Nazareth.” Again Peter denied it, this time with an oath. “I don’t even know the man,” he said. A little later some of the other bystanders came over to Peter and said, “You must be one of them; we can tell by your Galilean accent.” Peter swore, “A curse on me if I’m lying—I don’t know the man!” And immediately the rooster crowed. Suddenly, Jesus’ words flashed through Peter’s mind: “Before the rooster crows, you will deny three times that you even know me.” And he went away, weeping bitterly. Matthew 26:69-75

Live and learn.

God Bless,
Jase

Extol

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 12:38:34 PM »

24 Grams,

If believing God's truths is a trespass upon your time and a "hassle", then why are you even here?

When the soldiers came to the garden and said "We seek Jesus of Nazareth," did Jesus save himself the time and hassle by saying "I don't know where he is"?

When Paul saw the altar to the UNKNOWN GOD (Acts 17), did he save himself the time and hassle by simply moving along? No, here is what he said:

23...To Whom then, you are ignorantly devout, This One am I announcing to you.

24 The God Who makes the world and all that is in it, He, the Lord inherent of heaven and earth, is not dwelling in temples made by hands,

25 neither is He attended by human hands, as if requiring anything, since He Himself gives to all life and breath and all.

26 Besides, He makes out of one every nation of mankind, to be dwelling on all the surface of the earth, specifying the setting of the seasons and the bounds of their dwelling, for them to be seeking God, if, consequently,

27 they may surely grope for Him and may be finding Him, though to be sure, not far from each one of us is He inherent,

28 for in Him we are living and moving and are, as some poets of yours also have declared, 'For of that race also are we.'

29 The race, then, is inherently of God; we ought not to be inferring that the Divine is like gold, or silver, or stone, a sculpture of art and human sentiment.

I think that is a better answer than saying "No" when you're asked if you believe in God...

the truth

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 03:17:48 PM »

Hello,24 grams...Curious name? ......hehe

You know what .I don't believe there is any one answer that I would share as to be dogmatic.We who do believe are lead by the Spirit.One thing I have found in Ministry though .Is that just by the fact you carry a bible means most people think ...You think their going to hell.And that there is a place like that... worst yet!If I were to run into you and you ask me.And whatever the Spirit lead me to say to you which is ......read this site and open up your heart and see what God will do. Because as you said the reason why most are atheist is because all they ever heard was associated with the lies on every corner.When the Gospel is shared in truth then you will begin to see why we must endure many hardships and experience a thing called life. So 24 grams why not take the time to read the material on this site and by the grace of God You will begin to be able to understand "oh Death were is your sting."!

Kenneth Clark

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 09:32:33 PM »

Yes....Yes I believe in God...that's enough.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 09:35:14 PM by Kenneth Clark »

Kenneth Clark

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 09:37:03 PM »

look up...look down...look all around...its obvious.

Kat

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 10:06:35 PM »

You can not go back far enough in time or before time, however you want to think about it, to where there was absolutely nothing. Yes physically, but there had to be a metaphysical something/someone that ultimately brought about the beginning of the physical... that was God.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Gina

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 02:58:15 AM »

Atheists are always looking for physical proof of God. 

Personally my answer would be no, as I do not believe in their concept of God and to save myself the time and hassle of having to explain myself.

I also think one of the primary reasons there are atheists is because they have no grasp of who God actually is and associate God with the catholic church (predominantly).

What do y'all think?

My sentiments exactly.

I will tell you of a time when I was at this now-defunct, primarily atheist bloggers' forum (not realizing when I arrived that the bloggers were primarily atheist).  They were, however, very kindhearted people once I got to know them. 

They didn't like God because of just what you said so they obviously were not the types to go around torturing and harming people.  Like I said, they were kindhearted -- they gave to charity; no matter the type and were good providers to their S.O. and children; and just genuinely kind but they didn't like anything having to do with Christianity (who could blame them?  It's all by design - and I knew that.) 

Still, if I were back in the church, I would have never gone there, much less stayed there for three + years.  I would have said OH NO -- point me to the nearest exit!  God doesn't want me in this God-forsaken place! 

Anyhoo -- a blogger would blog about some inflammatory anti-God subject and we'd go at it and get into these nitty gritty discussions and it didn't matter what any believer said; they could present this scripture and that scripture -- and ... get smacked down over and over again.  Finally I gave up trying -- besides, talk is cheap; you can't convince anyone against their will. 

Tell you about this one person though -- To my utter amazement, we went on to become very good friends.  My friend (whose name or gender I will not divulge) was on a trip to Guadalupe (?) Mexico about 3-4 years ago with their S.O. (of the opposite gender) and my friend got their head bashed in by some thug -- they never did find out who or why.  All my friend knew was one minute they were walking along outside with their SO, and the next they were waking up in a hospital in Mexico weeks later with no understanding or recollection of anything happening. 

We'd skyped a few times off and on and after the tragedy (they should not be here -- that's how bad this was--part of their skull is completely gone) my friend was so embarrassed by their physical appearance afterwards they would only show half their face on the screen -- it kind of made me laugh inside because this was someone who was so BOLD on line before that happened. 

After that happened, they suffered more trauma -- finances and bills mounting; loss of work; loss of their S.O. (left) and my friend was now all alone, in their mid-50's, had to move halfway across country to the mid-west to find work and facing the prospect of having to go through the rest of their life without a mate (they thought no one would ever find them attractive enough ever again).  Needless to say, depression set in and they got desperate. 

That's when I took a low blow--I asked my friend if I could pray for them and asked them what they wanted me to pray for.  They needed to be good at their new job (a line of work they were completely unfamiliar with at that time) and wanted a mate.  And I really and truly did pray for my friend. 

And God blessed my friend -- in both areas.  Mind you, this was a person who to my knowledge had never legally tied the knot with anyone up until that point.  First their income multiplied and last I heard my friend was engaged to be married!  WOW!!!  I'm happy to say, we are still friends in spite of my prayers.  :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 03:00:57 AM by Gina »

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 08:34:17 AM »

Hi 24 Grams

Believing IN God is what religion does.

B-e-l-i-e-v-i-n-g God, is what may happen after coming out of religiosity. ~ 

Ian 155

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 10:13:41 AM »

Joh 5:24  Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Gina

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 01:17:30 PM »

Hi 24 Grams

Believing IN God is what religion does.

B-e-l-i-e-v-i-n-g God, is what may happen after coming out of religiosity. ~ 

Exactly.  Amen to that, Deb.

G. Driggs

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 08:53:43 PM »

I'd prolly tell em yes i do, but not the way most of Christianity does.

newgene87

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 12:56:04 AM »

As Ray pointed out the BIGGEST evidence of the falsehood of evolution, is the human EYE. So much wisdom to the eye. It SCREAMS an highly intelligent being who created man the way He is with all his potential; not evolved from slime. The eye and the human brain. Shoot, the human body. SOME BEING had to do this and maintain It's consistency. And it all points to (a) God. That's my general answer. Now to WHO that God actually is; I always pray the Spirit of Christ will lead me with the words to point to Jesus of Nazareth and how he came to reveal the true God. It's so easy to get wrapped up in buddish and Allah as God. Since I am settled on the Foundation of Christ, I pray he leads me to always "give an answer"

NewGene

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 03:15:56 AM »

You could do like Jesus did and answer with a question.

Actually, I don't believe in over-preparing with pat answers.  I learn more about me and my 'desperately weak' heart just answering honestly.  Was a time when I said 'no'.  Was a time when I would have preferred to believe 'no'.  That time's past, because He believes on my behalf.  "The life which I now live, I live by the faith OF the Son of God..." 

When the well is almost empty, it's hard to draw up water.  When it's full and overflowing, it's easy.  I'm somewhere in-between most of the time.

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

noeleena

• live life. love life.
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 07:00:05 AM »

Hi,

In which god are you refering to or which of the many the Caninits worshiped over 300 they had & whats the difference to day not a lot.

the gods are man made. if you so choose . you too can be like us ,,,,,wonder who that was.     gen..1  on.

My self i accept the one who allowed for my birth. .... the one who is the most high. my worship such as it is goes to the one who goes before me. & keeps me were i am.

...noeleena...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 18 queries.