bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: the Struggle for Faith??  (Read 5348 times)

newgene87

the Struggle for Faith??
« on: July 22, 2012, 08:00:06 PM »

So I was doing some thinking of HOW we get Faith... after reading Ray's paper (FINALLY) on James and Paul - it all clicked. I was left a little empty on how we got Faith. In light of Hebrews 11:6 - "without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." Im still a little foggy on that but that's not the point. So i prayed about it and kept on with my daily reading. And i found in Jude...

"... it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints." (1:3)

I took Ray's words to heart and zeroed in on the important words of "earnestly contend" for the faith; and looked that it's to struggle for; fight, strive. I even found the link of the verse in Luke 13:24 - "Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

So, am i right in seeing that, Faith is something for us to struggle for?? Like, I took firm hope in Ephesians 2:8 - " For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God"  --- that this faith, through His Grace; was BOTH the gift of God -  but now i see, we are to struggle, strive and fight for it... am i right in interpreting it that way?? If not, can someone assist my thinking on this? I already know that "faith" is not of us, and we are NOT to have Faith in God, but have the Faith OF God (or is that right, according to Scripture) cause if that's the case, i can see why it's a Struggle. I also noticed Paul tell us to, "Fight the good fight of Faith..." (1 Timothy 6:12).  this slowly become disheartening because i want to have faith so bad. Maybe someone can help me

Thanks
Eugene

eggi

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: the Struggle for Faith??
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 08:14:05 PM »

Hi Eugene,

As you said it yourself:

this slowly become disheartening because i want to have faith so bad. Maybe someone can help me.

Are you struggling for faith? Yes, it seems so.

Does that contradict that it is God who is dragging you to Him? No. It is still God who has given you the faith you have, and it is still God who will give you the rest. It is a free gift. However, it is not coming floating down the river, we have to walk upstream!

God bless you,
Eirik
Here’s how to tell if you have faith; how do you live… what do you do… what do you accomplish in life… what are your goals… What is there about you that proves that you have this faith and belief inside of you? What?

onelovedread

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 08:46:21 PM »

"…SHALL HE FIND FAITH ON THE EARTH?"

Here is a prophecy of Jesus concerning how much faith He expected to find on earth when He comes to establish His Kingdom in the earth:

"And shall not God avenge His own elect, which cry day and night unto Him, though He bear long with them? I tell you that He will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man comes, shall He find FAITH on the earth? (Luke 18:7-8).

The answer of course is: "Little: He shall not find but very little faith." But don’t take my word for it. Notice what Dr. Strong says regarding this word ara translated "shall" in the King James:

G687 a???a ara ar'-ah "A form of G686, denoting an interrogation to which a negative answer is presumed: - therefore."

This Greek word "PRESUMES a NEGATIVE answer." Jesus asked a rhetorical question the answer to which was obvious, and therefore needed no answer—OF COURSE He will find virtually no faith on the earth when He comes! That is because "many are called but few are chosen." And only among the "few chosen" do we find the "chosen and faithful" (Rev. 17:14).

mharrell08

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 10:35:47 PM »

So I was doing some thinking of HOW we get Faith... after reading Ray's paper (FINALLY) on James and Paul - it all clicked. I was left a little empty on how we got Faith. In light of Hebrews 11:6 - "without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." Im still a little foggy on that but that's not the point. So i prayed about it and kept on with my daily reading. And i found in Jude...

"... it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints." (1:3)

I took Ray's words to heart and zeroed in on the important words of "earnestly contend" for the faith; and looked that it's to struggle for; fight, strive. I even found the link of the verse in Luke 13:24 - "Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

So, am i right in seeing that, Faith is something for us to struggle for?? Like, I took firm hope in Ephesians 2:8 - " For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God"  --- that this faith, through His Grace; was BOTH the gift of God -  but now i see, we are to struggle, strive and fight for it... am i right in interpreting it that way?? If not, can someone assist my thinking on this? I already know that "faith" is not of us, and we are NOT to have Faith in God, but have the Faith OF God (or is that right, according to Scripture) cause if that's the case, i can see why it's a Struggle. I also noticed Paul tell us to, "Fight the good fight of Faith..." (1 Timothy 6:12).  this slowly become disheartening because i want to have faith so bad. Maybe someone can help me

Thanks
Eugene

You do have faith Eugene, you wouldn't be here if you didn't. One doesn't constantly think/talk/study about God if they didn't have faith.

Try not to be so pessimistic when you read 'difficult' scriptures. Our Father already knows everything that is necessary to make us righteous and will deliver us as He has promised.

John 16:33  These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Marques

Kat

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 11:29:05 AM »

Hi onelovedread,

Luke 18:8  I tell you, He will give justice to them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on earth?

This verse made me wonder what it was saying about the faith of the elect. Well then I considered that when Christ comes to the earth the elect will be 'with' Him, as they will already have been resurrected. So the angels "will gather together His elect" (Mat. 2:31) and they will join Him "in the air," before He descends to the earth.

1Th 4:16  For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.
v. 17  Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.

The elect will be "the armies" that come with Him, so they will not still be with the nations on the earth.

Rev 19:11  Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war.
v. 12  His eyes were like a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns. He had a name written that no one knew except Himself.
v. 13  He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.
v. 14  And the armies in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, followed Him on white horses.
v. 15  Now out of His mouth goes a sharp sword, that with it He should strike the nations. And He Himself will rule them with a rod of iron. He Himself treads the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

arion

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 04:19:44 PM »

It will come in time.  But it will come on God's timetable and not ours.  Someday you will look back and feel like hitting yourself in the head when you see how simple it is and yet our struggling in/with the flesh just makes it more difficult.  Faith is nothing more than believing what God says is true and then acting on it when you have the opportunity.  A lot of facets go into that like believe that God's written word is true, that the word never contradicts itself [that throws  off most of the church world right there], and basically believing that God will get us where we need to be when we need to be there whether we are one of the very elect of God or not.  Religion complicates things but true faith at it's core is simplicity itself.  Like a child.........

space.ace.jase

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 07:01:46 AM »

You do have faith Eugene, you wouldn't be here if you didn't. One doesn't constantly think/talk/study about God if they didn't have faith.

Try not to be so pessimistic when you read 'difficult' scriptures. Our Father already knows everything that is necessary to make us righteous and will deliver us as He has promised.

John 16:33  These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Marques

Hi Eugene,

Marques is spot on..

Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

God Bless,
Jase

Ian 155

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 08:29:52 AM »

I once heard a TBN preacher say he wanted faith and asked a around "how he could find this faith" IE can you give me faith ,where can I get some ...

In my personal experience faith, Commeth - progressive or progresses as, 'I believe The Father sees your need" you will face many situations or circumstances and this invisible force will rise in you,you will tremble and shake but somehow this force that arises carries you thru unscathed spiritually, but most of the time your flesh takes a pounding [ultimatly for your good and The Fathers Glory] - "I Believe" faith is the only aspect that God tests -

God Hath Given unto every man the measure of faith,so do not step outside what he has given you,Gods spirit in you will discern what you are able to do and what would be reckless.

He Jesus is the author and finisher of our Faith this does not mean we are on our own, this brings his word speedily to our memory based on his word only can we use faith - in times of lack " the Lord is my Shepperd" in times of blessing rejoice and bless others,in times of distress... - there is a [passage] way thru, for every situation,in the word - believe it.

David started taking down jackals,then wolves,then bears and lions - then he took out Goliath...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 23 queries.