bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chaff?  (Read 4460 times)

nightmare sasuke

Chaff?
« on: March 21, 2006, 11:52:27 PM »

Mal 4:1  For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

I have heard people say stubble and chaff represent sin, but I have a question. If the stubble and chaff is the sin, and not the person, then why do some verses, such as this, explain that the chaff and stubble is the person:

Job 21:18  They [not their sin?] are as stubble before the wind, and as chaff that the storm carrieth away.

Can someone post scriptures to help me understand how the chaff and stubble is sin and not the person? Thanks.

Mickyd

Chaff?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 12:32:14 AM »

"Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be REVEALED BY FIRE; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: BUT HE HIMSELF SHALL BE SAVED; yet so as by fire. Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are." 1 Cor 3:12-17

"For we know that the LAW IS SPIRITUAL: but I AM CARNAL, sold under sin." Rom 7:14

"For to be CARNALLY MINDED IS DEATH; but to be SPIRITUALLY MINDED IS LIFE AND PEACE. Because the CARNAL MIND IS ENMITY against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God." Rom 8:6-8

I would have to say that it is the carnalness (sin) of man that is destroyed not the man himself. I hope this helps.

nightmare sasuke

Chaff?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 01:00:10 AM »

The only thing I notice about 1 Cor 3:12-17, is that it sounds like it's speaking of those who already believe:

1Co 3:11 For other foundation can no one lay beside that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ."

The foundation is Jesus; it speaks of building upon it. Non-believers are not building upon the foundation of Jesus, so does this verse still apply to them?

Mickyd

Chaff?
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 10:37:29 AM »

Quote from: nightmare sasuke
The foundation is Jesus; it speaks of building upon it. Non-believers are not building upon the foundation of Jesus, so does this verse still apply to them?

Of coarse it does. To say that Jesus is the savior of anything LESS than ALL, lessens his sacrifice.

"For the CREATURE was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope, Because the CREATURE ITSELF also SHALL BE DELIVERED from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. For we know that the WHOLE CREATION groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body." Rom 8:20-23

"But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." Rom 10:8-10

Now....read the next.

"For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's. For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living. But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall ALL STAND BEFORE THE JUDGEMENT SEAT OF CHRIST. For it is written, AS I LIVE, saith the Lord, EVERY KNEE SHALL BOW to me, and EVERY TONGE SHALL CONFESS to God." Rom 14:7-11

Romans is one of the truely great books of the New Testament. You can find the answers to almost any question there. But....there are more.

"Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus. This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that CHRIST JESUS CAME INTO THE WORLD TO SAVE SINNERS; of whom I am chief." 1 Tim 1:13-15

"For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; WHO WILL HAVE ALL MEN TO BE SAVED, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time." 1 Tim 2:3-6

"This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptation. For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, WHO IS THE SAVIOR OF ALL MEN, SPECIALLY OF THOSE WHO BELIEVE. These things command and teach." 1 Tim 4:9-11

"Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all. Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee." 1 Tim 4:15-16

Sonia

Re: Chaff?
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 07:58:48 AM »

Quote from: nightmare sasuke
Mal 4:1  For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

I have heard people say stubble and chaff represent sin, but I have a question. If the stubble and chaff is the sin, and not the person, then why do some verses, such as this, explain that the chaff and stubble is the person:

Job 21:18  They [not their sin?] are as stubble before the wind, and as chaff that the storm carrieth away.

Can someone post scriptures to help me understand how the chaff and stubble is sin and not the person? Thanks.

I think the illustration is used in different ways in scripture. In places--as in the verses you quote, I believe it does refer to the person.  We must perish in order to live. The wicked will be destroyed before they are healed. The marred pot will be destroyed and made new--not patched.

Sonia
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.