bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power of the Tongue  (Read 4228 times)

newgene87

Power of the Tongue
« on: July 28, 2012, 11:50:51 PM »

So I've always read James 3:1-12 and never really got anything positive out of it and now I'm seeking some clarification. Not to say every teaching of scripture has to be positive; but its on the tongue (which EVERYONE has), so what is the solution to our problem of the tongue? I always missed that.

James says, "the tongue a fire, a kosmos of unrighteousness: so is the tongue among our members, that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the wheel of birth; and it is set on fire of ghenna(this part definitely confuses me, if someone can expound that, I'd appreciate it)....the tongue can no man tame; an unrestrainable evil, full of deadly poison..." (James 3:6,8)

So What is the solution to this problem of ours?? This is the state of our tongue, so what can we do about it in Christ. James kind of leaves me hanging on this matter. And then comes the major scripture the church of today uses alot when it comes to speaking things..

Proverbs 18:21
Death and life are in the power of the tongue:
and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

What is the TRUE Interpretation of this verse?? Name it claim it churches of this day uses this verse to explain we can "speak life" or "speak death" over our lives, but is this verse saying that? Seeking the truth behind our "tongue". Would appreciate all input. Thank you all in advance

Eugene

Gina

Re: Power of the Tongue
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 02:12:28 AM »

Hey Eugene

Matthew 12:34-35 You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.  The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him.

Not everyone has it, but the internet is like holding a mirror to your face; it doesn't lie.  You either like what you see or you don't. 

James 1

19  This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak [THAT REQUIRES MATURITY; SOMEONE WHO BELIEVES GOD] and slow to anger;

20 for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God.

21 Therefore, putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility receive the word implanted, which is able to save your souls.

22 But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves.

23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a MIRROR

24 for once he has looked at himself and gone away, he has immediately forgotten what kind of person he was.

We either agree with what we see or we don't.   As far as learning how to tame the tongue from the net goes, it's easy to reinvent yourself but it's hard to pretend you're being completely honest with God.  And while people on the internet can be pretty harsh sometimes, they can also be much more forgiving for the most part.  It's a tool that helps me understand what it means to judge myself so I can be slow to speak. ;)

Kat

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 11:29:41 AM »

Excerpt from Lake of Fire part 16-D4 'Gehenna Fire Judgment.'

http://bible-truths.com/lake16-D4.htm -------------

THE FINAL NAIL IN THE COFFIN FOR ETERNAL HELL FIRE

The Apostle James proves all that Jesus said with regards to Gehenna/hell fire.

"And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it [the tongue] is set on fire of hell [Gk: gehenna]."

I'll admit that this does not sound like an easy Scriptures. How is the tongue set on fire by Gehenna? What does that mean? The answer is found in the whole chapter beginning with verse 1:

"My brethren, be not many masters [teachers], knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation [Gk: krima, condemnation, judgment]" (James 3:1).

Teachers must be very careful in what they teach, the words that come out of their mouth, because if they are not correct words, then their Judgment will be much more severe than with others. Now verse 2:

"For in many things we [James includes himself] offend all. If any man [including himself] offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body" (James 3:2).

It is the "words" that are spoken by the "tongue" that will come into Judgment.

Notice what Jesus taught:

"But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: these are things which defile the man" (Matt. 15:18-20).

"But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment" (Matt. 12:36).

"O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" (Matt. 12:34).

And what does Jeremiah tell us is the disposition of the universal heart of man?

"The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked [Heb: 'exceedingly weak']: who can know it?" (Jer. 17:9).

Jesus used the examples of our eyes, hands, and feet that are used as instruments of offense, and must therefore be spiritually cut off. And this spiritual cutting off occurs in Gehenna fire."

James is merely adding another member of our bodies, the tongue, into this same symbolic teaching. Notice how James liken the destructive power of just "little things" in nature, to the very small tongue of the human body:

A literal very small bit in a horses mouth can turn the whole body of the beast, with very little effort (James 3:3).

A literal very small helm [rudder] can turn great ships in fierce winds, with very little effort (Verse 4).

A literal little fire can burn a great amount of material, even a whole forest, with very little effort (Verse 5).

And so the metaphor, "the tongue is a fire," (the tongue is not a literal fire), means that it is like a literal fire in certain ways. What ways? [1] "the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity" and it [2] "defiles the whole body" and [3] "sets on fire the course [wheel] of nature" (Verse 6).

The phrase "course of nature" is translated as "the wheel of our natural life" by Rotherham's Emphasized Bible, and as "the wheel of our lineage" by The Concordant Literal New Testament. The meaning is something like Elton John's song "The Circle of Life" from Disney's, The Lion King.

And James informs us that no man can tame this little monster called the tongue. For if he could, then he would be "a perfect man, and able to bridle [to curb, conquer, and control] the whole body" (Verse 2).

And what is the solution to bridling the tongue (which speaks for and in behalf of the deceitful "heart")? Why to "fight fire with fire." Set the tongue on fire with Gehenna fire-Gehenna JUDGMENT! (Verse 6). Right there is the solution to the whole enigma of what is Gehenna fire; what is eonian [falsely called everlasting] fire; and what is the LAKE of fire.

Gehenna fire is first and foremost for Christ's disciples (the Elect), and is first taught by Jesus on the sermon on the mount to His disciples. It is therefore not literal fire, nor is it everlasting fire. "Gehenna fire" (Matt. 18:9 is also called "eonian [NOT 'everlasting'] fire" in Matt. 18:8, and also in Matt. 25:41 where this eonian fire prepared for the devil and his ministers will be judged in the resurrection to Judgment in "The Lake of Fire" (Rev. 20:15 & 21:08). The Gehenna fire, eonian fire, lake of fire, are all the Judgment of God. These fires are all the same ONE fire that come from the same ONE God, and "Our [One] God is a consuming FIRE" (Heb. 12:29).

And so Gehenna fire has nothing to do with eternal torture, but rather with eonian chastisement and Judgment-for the House of God's elect, now, and for those who obey not the Gospel of God, in the Judgment of Gehenna/lake of fire, later.

I understand how severe the trials and tribulations of life can be, but take heart, the purging fire of Gehenna is not for naught:

"I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that you may be rich; and white raiment, that you may be clothed, and that the shame of your nakedness do not appear; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me. To him that overcomes will I grant to sit with Me in My throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with My Father in His throne. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says unto the churches" (Rev. 3:18-22).
-----------------------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Joel

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 12:31:53 PM »

It also says in James 5:12  But most of all, dear brothers, do not swear either by heaven or earth or anything else; just say a simple yes or no, so that you will not sin and be condemned for it.

Back to Proverbs 6:16-19 These six things doth the Lord hate; yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, A LYING TOUNGE, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief. A false witness that SPEAKETH LIES, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Proverbs 21:23  Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles.

Joel

Gina

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 03:56:28 PM »

Thanks, Kat - that's like the key that fits perfectly in to the lock.   This is a great topic again, by the way, Eugene.

Kat brought out that God is a consuming fire; God is also a refining fire.  He refines us like silver;  He turns up the heat on our lives and just like silver is heated so that the dross (impurities) can surface and be skimmed off, so are we heated through Gehenna fire so the dross in us is removed; hence we become refined and pure in quality and good for every work.

That's why I think electronic communication (via the internet with email, texting, open forums and social networking sites) is such an effective tool in training a person to tame [refine] that tongue; and hence, heart and mind.  Like holding up a mirror to your face - it forces you to take a good look at yourself.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 05:59:21 PM by Gina »

santgem

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 05:30:40 AM »

Ti's true....

"But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment" (Matt. 12:36).

That is the power of the tongue. Every idle word by the use of the tongue can even destroy the heaven and the earth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.