bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is prayer all about?  (Read 19743 times)

Gina

Re: What is prayer all about?
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2012, 01:02:27 PM »

Good answers JFK, Kat, Ian.

When I don't know how or what to pray about, I simply start thanking God for what He has done for me.  It's just like Ray said, he falls asleep thanking God.  And I suddenly find I can pray without ceasing.

Prayer is not about petitioning God always.  My friend Gail and I were talking about this last night, and she said:  Prayer isn't always about asking God for things.  We're told to pray without ceasing, and there's a lot of other things we can communicate with God about.

If you read the Scriptures and you look at yourself and you pray for wisdom, God will show you, He will not disappoint that pray. You will not pray to God to show you your humility your nothing, that he will say, ‘I’m not going to answer that prayer.’ He WILL answer that prayer. If you really want to know who and what you are, He will show you. Then when you have that humble attitude you will be teachable, He will be able to teach you. You will be ready and you will be willing.  forums.bible-truths.com/index.php?topic=3720.0

I find myself praying more times than not that I do the right thing to the benefit of others around me.  Funny how God doesn't always answer that prayer, but there's a reason for that, too.  It's like Ray said, We have to get to the point where we hate our sin so much that we beg God to change us.   It's like getting a car from your parents as a gift, or working to buy it with your own "sweat and blood."  You are less likely to take what you have for granted when you put your heart and soul in it to get it.

(Rene, you are absolutely right!  I'm sorry that you and your mom's going through that.  I will pray that God greatly comforts her and you and all those who are praying for her.  May he give you all rest soon.)

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2012, 02:33:59 PM »

No, Ian.  It doesn't negate James 1:5 and 6.

I'm just saying that I don't need "miraculous signs" to believe.  God has given enough of them.  I believe now that God does mighty and powerful works even when He is not 'shewing them'.  Maybe wisdom, faith and not being 'double-minded' means or includes not requiring my answers to my prayers.

There are a number of things I don't do or say that are 'commanded' because these things are not true of me yet.  Top most is that I don't say I love the Lord my God with all my heart, soul, and mind.  Because I don't.  But I shall.  That's not 'double-minded'.  That's faith and truth.  Whatever your position, own it. 

In the same way, I believe there will be a day I will be able to literally say to the mountain, "Be moved" and it happens.  That's not today.  That's faith and truth.

I'm not trying to argue with you.  If anything, I may be confessing my sins.  So be it.  I'm not looking for disciples, just joining in the conversation.  You have your own row to hoe.   :)   

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

GaryK

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2012, 04:57:02 PM »

He's only in His elect...but whatever,

From what book chapter and verse does this come?

newgene87

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2012, 08:13:38 PM »

So that's the only thing you point out? Its was just my opinion and of course it's not flawless. But as far His being in His elect...he has to be in His elect for them to be the elect right? (Phil 2:13) sooo

Romans 8:33
Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

Colossians 3:12
Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; (this looks like "Jedi knight" training)  ;)

Mark 13:27
And then shall he send his angels, and shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven.

Am I that far off that God's elect are His chosen, few, and faithful? Not to justify "the force" connection, but God's elect being a peculiar treasure to God, the few is all throughout scripture. But of course, ALL have their being in God but there are the "many and few". So why can't we be Jedi knights?? ;D 8)

Regardless, to stay on topic; everyone is strengthing my understanding on prayer vs the sovereignty of His will. I'll continue to build awareness of His presence, love on him, thank him for everything, acknowledge him in everything - he truly leads to more peace. Prayer is truly for us
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:19:22 PM by newgene87 »

GaryK

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2012, 09:48:32 PM »

So that's the only thing you point out? Its was just my opinion and of course it's not flawless. But as far His being in His elect...he has to be in His elect for them to be the elect right? (Phil 2:13) sooo

Almost everyone on this forum is learning.

It was a question that I have been wondering lately and thought perhaps you've found a verse or perhaps an email or paper from Ray that would answer.     

GaryK

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2012, 09:59:33 PM »

There are a number of things I don't do or say that are 'commanded' because these things are not true of me yet.  Top most is that I don't say I love the Lord my God with all my heart, soul, and mind.  Because I don't.  But I shall.  That's not 'double-minded'.  That's faith and truth.  Whatever your position, own it. 

Dave, I appreciate what you've written here.   They're a sort of salve for my soul.  If he appreciates honesty he'll find it in your heart since that's where these words came from.   Nothing prententious in your words.  Sounds like you own your position.

Ian 155

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2012, 06:03:35 AM »

Perhaps trying to extract your thoughts Dave... Na Not arguing this time
 :)

Ian 155

Re: What is prayer all about? found this ...
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2012, 04:06:01 PM »

Here is something I am coming to realize:  Suppose three and a half years ago when I was told that my cancer was terminal, that we all prayed and God miraculously healed me, what would I have done?  Well, I would have THANKED GOD, THANKED GOD!  And I would have pretty much gone back to the same way of living and eating (except for a few dramatic changes, maybe) that I practiced before I came down with cancer.  But what if God is leading me and showing me something diametrically opposed to the medical profession and even involving a quantum leap from how most naturalists and naturopaths treat cancer?  Now that would be something that could be passed on the many thousands of people by means of our bible-truths site, that would be of more practical benefit to many people even above just adding another miracle to our reader's faith.  Miracles are great!  Miracles are fun!  I like miracles!  But there were thousands of people who witnessed the miracles of Jesus, but did not have their lives changed or improved dramatically.  Presently I am trusting God that He is going to see me through this nightmare, but maybe in a way that will have a greater benefit for our readers than just being privy to a miracle.  I hope that all of you will have the same faith with me.  I will inform everyone when I get the date next week for my surgery.

God be with you all,

Ray

Joel

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2012, 02:08:27 AM »

I'm looking at prayer in this light;
According to Isaiah 9:6 One of the Lord's names is COUNSELLOR, prayer is me asking God for his advice among other things. Including praise, thanksgiving, worship, and a host of other things.
If God tells me something and I don't do it, his advice to me was in vain. How many people go to lawyers, psychiatrist, and physicians, spending lots of money and don't do what they are instructed to do? I have a book full of instructions from God.

I am guilty of not praying  enough, probally because the answers I might get wouldn't be to my liking.
That's where being lead of the Spirit and staying close to God in prayer is needfull in my life.
Proverbs 11:14 Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

I know that Jesus prayed constantly, the early Church prayed as individuals, and as a group. They even sought answers from God by casting lots. ( Acts 1:26 )

Joel
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.