bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Genesis 15:8-18??  (Read 3642 times)

newgene87

Genesis 15:8-18??
« on: August 08, 2012, 01:13:51 AM »

So reading scriptures with my wife  ;D i love it, cause i can share that joy with her. So as i'm reading along (again) i'm coming across something i've been desiring to understand. In Genesis 15:8-18, God establishes his covenant with Abram regarding how he would know that He would inherit the land and the blessing. My question is, what is the true spiritual significance of God commanding Abram to bring...

"Take me an heifer of three years old, and a she goat of three years old, and a ram of three years old, and a turtledove, and a young pigeon. And he took unto him all these, and divided them in the midst, and laid each piece one against another: but the birds divided he not."

then the vision of the apparent bondage of the Israelites, then...

"And it came to pass, that, when the sun went down, and it was dark, behold a smoking furnace, and a burning lamp that passed between those pieces  ???. In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram..."

Ray has trained me now to PAY ATTENTION TO THE WORDS; and i'm paying attention to the words, but why this? Why not just SPEAK IT TO ABRAM IN A VISION, as He did before? and the detailed command. maybe someone can help me

Eugene

Gina

Re: Genesis 15:8-18??
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 02:01:36 AM »

Wish I had the answer for you. 

In addition to what you're asking, did you ever wonder why God used three farm animals?  I do. 

I wonder, why three?
Why were they all three years old (or young)? 
And why were two of those animals female and one was male? 
Why not all female?   Why not all male? 
Why not TWO males and only one female?

Why only use animals that were good for consumption?  Why not use a wolf, a bear, and a tomcat? :D   I'm curious and have no idea what that all means.

And why only one pigeon and one dove?  Why not use two doves?  Why not use two pigeons, ey?

Now I'm wondering, did the birds represent a higher and a lower (or lower and higher) class of peoples?

I don't think Ray ever taught on these things either. 

gregorydc

Re: Genesis 15:8-18??
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 02:32:59 PM »

I don't know if this will help. As I remember reading somewhere whenever anyone made a covenant they would both walk between divided animals for their covenant, but God walked through them alone to show Abram that no matter what happened on Abrams end God was gonna keep the covenant.  But the smoking furnace and the lamp are definitely symbols for and of God but as for the certain animals I am not sure yet.  Hope this helps
still a babe in Christ,
Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.