bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Big Fat Fiasco - Fat is good  (Read 23043 times)

levycarneiro

Big Fat Fiasco - Fat is good
« on: August 18, 2012, 01:05:27 AM »

In the same vein that we get amazed at learning God's truths here at BT, this video/lecture wowed me with debunking so many lies we've been told about food, fat, heart diseases, and much more. A real eye-opener!

Seriously, don't miss it.

Big Fat Fiasco Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exi7O1li_wA

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmwNpUJUjPg

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuxDuLKz39c

Part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9mQ-QZkZpk

Part 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEayi6IBjZw

God bless!

bpenelli

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Big Fat Fiasco - Fat is good
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 06:13:27 AM »

I also saw the movie "Fat Head" that this same guy (Tom Naughton) did in which he went on a fast food diet for a month, lost weight, and lowered his cholesterol.

If you have Netflix you can watch it here:
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Fat_Head/70115017?trkid=496624

Brad
Romans 7:24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 07:07:40 AM »

Completely different results from the guy in "Supersize Me".  Or maybe it was just the portion size.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

levycarneiro

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 09:46:19 AM »

Dave, here's what he did:

During the film, Naughton goes on an all-fast-food diet, mainly eating food from McDonald's. For his daily dietary intake, he aims to keep his calories to around 2,000 and his carbohydrates to around 100 grams per day, but he does not restrict fat at all. He ends up eating about 100 grams of fat per day, of which about 50 grams are saturated. He also decides to walk six nights a week, instead of his usual three. After a month eating that way, he loses 12 pounds and his total cholesterol goes down. His HDL does go down, often thought to be undesirable.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_Head

bob

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 09:09:34 AM »

Thanks Levy,
 I watched all five “Big fat fiasco” video's along with the movie “Fat Head” Brad posted.  Like you said,  A real eye opener. Dave's comment about the “Super size me” video being completely different results or maybe it was portion sizes got me to thinking about Ray's admonition to “pay attention to the words”. The fact that one person limited their calorie intake to 2000 a day and walked six day's a week and the other didn't exercise and pigged out on 5000 ( really) calories a day to me is like comparing the teaching of Creflo Dollar to Ray Smith. I attended the Mobile conference and listened to Dr. Steiger's presentation. If you are familiar with his claims, I can't think  of  more opposite takes on nutrition. So why am I saying this. I really was taken by Levy's post and decided to do my own experiment. More on this later. I hope to be able to post my results in thirty day's.  Bob Oviedo, Fl.

Gina

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 06:28:56 PM »

You are a brave soul, Bob.

bob

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 06:47:58 PM »

Nah...  Just an old dog willing to learn new tricks. By the way, your Barbie doll post was tooooo funny. Bob

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 07:56:26 PM »

Hi Bob.  I kinda figured that was the case, since I didn't watch the videos.  My situation is unique (actually, I think everybody's situation is unique) in that I eat what is put in front of me and am happy to have food at all.  Most people have more choice.  When I have choice, I gravitate towards food with more fat than is in my regular diet.  So if 'fat is good', I'm moderately good most of the time and quite good on occasion.   :D 
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 08:58:26 PM »

Can you tell me the credentials of this guy? He said he's a comedian and he's a also worked in the media. That's what I got so far out of his credientials. Do you know if he has any medical background, an MD? A pHD? Anything?

« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 09:04:55 PM by lilitalienboi16 »
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Gina

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 09:54:32 PM »

My daughter went through high school eating nothing but two supersize Snickers bars and cokes every day unbeknownst to me.  And she never gained a pound (skinny as a rail) (not all diabetics are fat either).  But she suffered from major mood swings and suicidal depression -- then again, she wasn't exercising like she was when she was in junior high, but then again - her diet at that time wasn't much better. 

Grant it, just being a teenager in high school is enough to make most people depressed, so I can't say for sure that her mood swings and depression were caused by her "diet."  (She definitely wasn't doing drugs or drinking alcohol -- we're talking about someone who lectured me about my smoking from day 1 practically.  Just not her thing.) 

But then (as you may have read), she slooowwly changed her diet to vegetarian.  She later realized her mood swings and depression was all but gone.  But then again, she was pretty much done with high school and she was getting more exercise as a waitress.   So, who knows?

But I know one thing, we went to her see her dentist when she was about 16-17 and he came back and told us she had eleven cavities that needed filling.  She felt so guilty over my out of pocket costs (in the hundreds of dollars), she confessed to eating candy bars and drinking soda for four solid years.  I about fell over.  I was less concerned with my out of pocket costs than I was her teeth.  But my main concern was her pancreas.

Thirty days of dieting on junk food probably isn't going to kill you; however, I'll be interested to know how you're feeling emotionally when you're finished.   All the best to you, Bob.  Glad you liked the joke. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 09:56:41 PM by Gina »

bob

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 08:32:49 AM »

Hi folks, I watched all 5 videos and the movie. I did not mean to convey that my experiment would mean eating so called junk food only. What I got out of all this was conventional wisdom can be totally wrong. Didn't we all end up here rejecting conventional wisdom? lilitalienboi16 asked what are the credentials of this guy? No disrespect, but I would answer, what were Ray Smith's credentials. I just paid attention to the words so to speak. There were interviews with a half dozen medical doctors through out these presentations which helped. I had known about Fat, protein, carbs etc. but I came away with a new understanding as to how this all works. I could not after watching all this be even more astounded at our creator who designed this miracle we call our body. Bob

Craig

• There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 09:59:14 AM »

Bob, you hit the nail on the head concerning conventional wisdom and credentials. Working near a college environment and also medical professionals I have become very jaded over the whole process. Students have their mush filled brains filled with so called knowledge but it is nothing more than recycled theory that through time has become fact. None of them have experimented and duplicated much of these facts that they accept, if it is what is taught then it must be true.  These facts were originally bought and paid for by special interests. The world would not be in as bad as shape as it is if people used their common sense and not just yielded to the wisdom of those with credentials (educated idiots) Honestly does not much of what the Scriptures and Ray has taught hit us so hard because it just makes sense? Don't we want to hit ourselves in the head and wonder why we did not see what was so clearly in front of us?

Just forget the conventional wisdom and look at the results and then make up your own minds.

Craig

Rene

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 12:19:01 PM »

Honestly does not much of what the Scriptures and Ray has taught hit us so hard because it just makes sense?

Yea, but it "just made sense" after God opened our eyes to understand these truths.  ;)

René

bob

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 03:32:10 PM »

Craig, right on, it took the teaching style and Witt of Ray for me to start to question things not only scriptural but also in my daily life. We are bombarded daily with information from self proclaimed experts on every subject imaginable. I love it when I hear something or read something and my minds eye says “OH REALLY” (Guess where that came from.) In one of Ray's audio tapes, (which to me is quite funny) he speaks to something some one said or had written and Say's “SO I CALLED HIM” So like wise after I'm done I hope to say “SO I TRIED IT”. Regards, Bob

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 05:02:25 PM »

I don't mean to keep stirring the fat pot, but there are 'uncredentialed' self-proclaimed expert idiots too.  Salt everything, but with low-sodium salt.   :D

levycarneiro

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 07:01:51 PM »

Hello bob!

Very glad to help. These things are making a difference in my own eating. It's so easy now to spot what's good vs bad. If you think about it, it should be easy anyway in the past centuries.

In order to help others, here's a summary on the video:

- difference between observational and clinical studies, and how observational studies + errors in logic produced much confusion for decades, and still do. One of these wrong conclusions is that fat is bad for your health.

- in the 50's a bad scientist named Ancel Keys came up with the "Lipid Hypothesis" which says that a) saturated fat raises cholesterol, and b) high cholesterol clogs arteries. The lecturer explains the history and the bad science behing these wrong conclusions, which affects our health even today. He ignored several "black swans" (contrary evidence) and went ahead anyway. Some of the most known "black swans" related to fat and health are the eskimos, which live basically off fatty meat and live healthy.

- he went to explain how several studies had conclusions that aren't truth. Even with so much contradictions this theory ended up being "official" since the US Congress in 1970 created a report with a set of diet guidelines/recommendations:

- reduce consumption of fat
     - switch from saturated fat to vegetable fats
     - reduce cholesterol to 1 egg per day
     - eat more carbohydrates, specially grains

Even with no consensus, and many scientists declaring before this committee that there we no scientific basis for these recommendations, including the American Medical Association, the committee decided they didn't have time to wait for all evidences and wanted to recommend something "now". The result: increase in diabetes type 2 and many heart diseases for the past several decades.

- US government supports the Lipid Hypothesis so if you are a scientist that disagrees, you have no funding, no job.

- Media pushing for "fat is bad", including Time magazine cover with eggs and bacon, article based in logic error.

- The French Paradox. French people eat TWICE as much saturated fat as the US, FOUR times as much butter, THREE times as much pork, 60% more cheese. Their heart disease rate is 1/3 of the US.

- The Swiss Paradox. Second-highest intake of saturated fat, second-lowest rate of heart disease.

- The Spanish Paradox. Past 30 years, saturated fat intake up, heart-disease rate down.

- Goes through some studies that refute Lipid Hypothesis' myth that "high cholesterol clogs arteries".

- Truth: sugar and refined carbohydrates are the real problem.

- The key: insulin. Keep blood sugar levels in the narrow range it's supposed to be.

- And then the most amazing part of this video: why 98% of diets fail? See an illustration on how insulin, blood, fat cells, belly fat, and many other things work.  I never quite understood all of this, but with this illustration is so easy! It starts around at the 7m20 mark of video/part 4. I will never see food the same way after this!

levycarneiro

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 07:03:38 PM »

Bob,

you might want to take a look at the Paleo diet. It consists of fat, protein, no refined carbs, no sugar. It matches everything the video speaks of.

Here's a good summary/explanation of how Paleo/Primal works:

http://www.jbprimal.com/blogs/news/6372850-why-eating-fat-makes-you-lean

God bless!
Levy
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 07:06:48 PM by Levy »

levycarneiro

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 07:32:12 PM »

The documentary FatHead is available for free (officially) on Youtube! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs

bpenelli

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 01:34:49 AM »

A lot of the information used in these two movies came from the book "Good Calories Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. Here is a good summary of what's in that book:

http://higher-thought.net/wp-content/uploads/Notes-to-Good-Calories-Bad-Calories.pdf

For the past two weeks I have cut out most refined carbs and sugar without worrying about calories at all (I eat when I'm hungry until I'm satisfied). I've been consuming mainly meat and salads/vegetables, using coconut oil for all my oil needs, and sucralose sweetener for my coffee (I had been using regular sugar). I actually lost a few pounds and have so much more energy. I am no longer having the bouts of extreme tiredness after eating lunch at work.

Brad
Romans 7:24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

bob

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 08:33:46 AM »

Thanks for the link. Will check it out. Two more weeks on my experiment and then my doctor appointment. will post results then. Bob, Oviedo, FL.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.