bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Play on words of Translators  (Read 2929 times)

newgene87

Play on words of Translators
« on: August 23, 2012, 06:07:17 PM »

So in my personal reading I've been running across interesting play on words and the use of translating certain words in certain texts of scripture. This thought started after reading Rays paper on "Hell" - and he goes through each time "Sheol" is used and its half translated "hell" and "grave" -- I found that very very interesting. And ray clears it up. So I wonder, has anyone seen any clever examples of this??? My first one is in Job 2. Reading from the Rotherham

Job 2:10
And he said unto her, As one of the base women speaketh, speakest thou? BLESSING, shall we accept from God, and, MISFORTUNE, shall we not accept? In all this, Job sinned not with his lips.

Rotherham  (sort of) twisted that up. That "blessing" and "misfortune" is the Hebrew "tob" and "ra" and Rotherham (somehow) gets it right translating Genesis 2:17

Genesis 2:17
"but, of the tree of the knowledge of GOOD and EVIL, thou shalt not eat of it,-- for, in the day thou eatest thereof, thou shalt, die." -- Like, why couldn't he just stay with GOOD (from God) and EVIL (from God) in Job?? And if not, why not translate Genesis 2 as, "the tree of the knowledge of BLESSING and MISFORTUNE". {that sounds like I tree I actually wouldve went for ....being honest...well as Ray said, we all wouldve}

The common one is Isaiah 45:7 from just about any other translation. They translate that "ra" as calamity, misfortune (Rotherham must love misfortune), disaster and so on.

I love how Ray has made me aware of words of Scripture and to be sound and faithful on its usages. Seems like translators were really translating and/or transliterating to hide truths. Just wanna know anybody else's experiences. I wish I could remember my one example and seeing one Hebrew word translated 4 different ways and the text implies the same meaning. I just find that interesting.

Oh and Ray's OH SO amazing logic on HELL being translated in 4 different greek words. That was a HUGE revelation for me. My favorite has to be 1 Corinthians 15:55 - "O death, where is thy sting? O GRAVE [hades], where is thy victory?"

And that's the ONLY time "hades" is translated "GRAVE"? Why not the other 10 times (I think) it was translated HELL???

"...oh HELL, where is your victory"

I bet that page would've been ripped out the bible to read it like that. I just checked two translations which translate that word as DEATH (like REALLY!!!??)

I bless you bible-truths.com for opening my heart and mind to this wonderful truths. Want to know has anyone else discovered things like this.

Eugene
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:17:20 PM by newgene87 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 17 queries.