bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Precept upon precept, line upon line(??)  (Read 4665 times)

newgene87

Precept upon precept, line upon line(??)
« on: August 24, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »

So I encountered someone the other week about reading certain scriptures and he accused me of taking things out of context. I cleared myself, eventually dusted my feet off and moved on. So I thought upon the matter and I read rays paper and he says this

Now in the Scripture it says;

Isa 28:10  For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

I just thought about that this morning, I just thought about this for the first time. Do you know what that statement contradicts? CONTEXT! That contradicts the god of context, context, context... flat out contradicts it. Because they say if you take, "here a little and there a little," what are you doing? Pulling it out of context, see. 

So, my concern is that verse. I seen it a while ago and it never made sense to me. And reading the word precept and line in that verse; the strongs dictionary i have defines it in a bad sense.

Precept as  ~ used in mocking mimicry of Isaiah's words and thus not a true divine command

Line as ~ onomatapoetic [???????] mimicry of Isaiah's words, perhaps senseless

Then I read on to verse 13, and he says

Isaiah 28:13
But the word of the Lord was to them...That they might go and fall backward, and be broken
And snared and caught.

So could this really be implying a "good" thing?? Just looking at the definition (I believe it's the BDB Dictionary. Idk, it's attached to my strongs) and the end of verse 13 it seems to be a bad thing that's all. Not saying that CONTEXT is the answer; truly

Psalms 119:160
The entirety of Your word is truth,
And every one of Your righteous judgments endures forever.

And I've seen many examples of scriptures and writers agreeing with each other speaking on the same matters. It's just THAT verse confuses me just a bit and is it really a good thing?

Eugene

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 06:57:17 PM by newgene87 »

gregorydc

Re: Precept upon precept, line upon line(??)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:33:38 PM »

This is one of my favorite verses in the bible. The first time I "understood" this verse I kind of understood how (Babylon) the church worked.  It seemed to me all they wanted to do is add rule to rule to make what they say is "righteous" , right with them,when the scripture clearly refutes many of their rules. To make the story short it helped me out of Babylon.
just my thought on it
Greg
ps my answer yes its a good thing

Deborah-Leigh

Re: Precept upon precept, line upon line(??)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 08:10:05 AM »

Ditto gregorydc ~ becoming UN- Doctrinatied, IS a good thing  ;D yet it doesn't feel like it is ~ :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.