bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Satan's "Half" Lie/Truth??  (Read 28777 times)

newgene87

Satan's "Half" Lie/Truth??
« on: August 26, 2012, 08:08:43 PM »

So my paying attention to the words is getting me YET again. But this is coming out of the Scriptures. So reading through Genesis 3, i stumbled across this and it FINALLY caught my eye.

"and the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall NOT surely die (obvious lie): for God does know that in the day ye eat thereof, then (1)your eyes shall be opened, and (2) ye shall be as God, knowing good and evil." (Gen 3:4-5) and the rest was history. YET, this actually came to pass -  what Satan said would happen

(1) "and the eyes of them both WERE opened, and they knew that they were naked..." (Gen 3:7)
(2) "and Jehovah God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil; and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat and live to the age" (Gen 3:22)

So it seems to me that Satan told truth because what he said actually came to pass. It actually happened for one, and God attested to the other.

would I be on track to conclude that Satan started with a LIE and exhibited a truth to BEGUILE or deceive?? I feel like i discovered a tool to be aware of his "Travesty" and "trickery" ways (Ephesians 6:11). Trying not "to be ignorant of his device" (2 Corinthians 2:11). I've always been programmed to know Satan is only lies but here he actually told some truth; but lied to deceive with truth (???) yea, looks like a square circle :D. well, wondering if anyone else sees that. Thanks

Eugene

mharrell08

Re: Satan's "Half" Lie/Truth??
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 09:47:20 PM »

Gen 3:2-4  ...the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat the fruit of the trees of the garden; but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat it, nor shall you touch it, lest you die.’” Then the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die.

'You shall die' vs. 'You will not surely die' are polar opposites. Also, to 'know' good and evil was a knowledge that Adam and Eve already had. To discern between good and evil was something they did not possess and many lack to this day. It was a complete lie on Satan's part.

John 10:10  The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I [Jesus] have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

Jesus sums up Satan and his purpose perfectly clear in this passage.

Marques

newgene87

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 10:07:19 PM »

Gen 3:2-4  ...the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat the fruit of the trees of the garden; but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat it, nor shall you touch it, lest you die.’” Then the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die.

'You shall die' vs. 'You will not surely die' are polar opposites. Also, to 'know' good and evil was a knowledge that Adam and Eve already had. To discern between good and evil was something they did not possess and many lack to this day. It was a complete lie on Satan's part.

John 10:10  The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I [Jesus] have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

Jesus sums up Satan and his purpose perfectly clear in this passage.

Marques

"to discern between good and evil was something they did not possess" vs "to know good and evil" --- okay that just confused me. I thought God said, "BEHOLD, The human becomes as one of us, knowing good and evil" (v. 22 Concordant). So how did they already possess "knowing good and evil" if it came to be after partaking of the tree???

and i know Satan LIED about them dying, i wasnt debating that. but Satan was right in saying "there eyes were to be opened" and man was to become as God. God did say, "Man as become as one of US" - that's what i'm saying. In the words of Ray - Scripture couldve said, "they're eyes were closed and they were blind" and "well, they're now completely sin and has become evil creatures of habit and not like me"  and so on but God SAYS EXACTLY what Satan said that's all. He was actually right and he beguiled them into disobeying God

Eugene

mharrell08

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 10:29:44 PM »

Adam and Eve knew they were not eat of this tree, that demonstrates a knowledge of good and evil. But knowledge is worthless unless one knows how to apply it to their lives. That's what I mean by discernment.

Satan said 'in that day you eat it you will be like God'. God said that man is becoming like Us, not in that day. God also makes reference to the tree of life, which is needed if one is to live. Satan makes no reference to how one is to live forever because he does not want them to.

So no, God does not say exactly what Satan says. Why is this even a point of debate?

Gina

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 10:39:58 PM »

Adam and Eve knew they were not eat of this tree, that demonstrates a knowledge of good and evil. But knowledge is worthless unless one knows how to apply it to their lives. That's what I mean by discernment.

Satan said 'in that day you eat it you will be like God'. God said that man is becoming like Us, not in that day. God also makes reference to the tree of life, which is needed if one is to live. Satan makes no reference to how one is to live forever because he does not want them to.

So no, God does not say exactly what Satan says. Why is this even a point of debate?

Well, I hardly call it debating Marques.  I needed a little clearer explanation myself and so I'm pretty glad he asked because your response is just what I needed.  Beautiful. 

newgene87

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 11:08:08 PM »

Well, I hardly call it debating Marques.  I needed a little clearer explanation myself and so I'm pretty glad he asked because your response is just what I needed.  Beautiful.

my point as well. not a debate -- i was trained from a wise man to pay attention to the words and from a intellectual level - i can pretty much see what's on the surface of a page and maybe a few levels below. any deeper than that; i seek understanding but Im able to discern if something is off. But with the right wording and God's revelation, truth is seen --- not debating nor accusation of debating ;D

I mean ive been reading this site for a long time now; the method i used to pull that out is the EXACT same method that Ray uses to discover truths. Am i off that that Satan says it himself that the man's eyes were to be opened and they were to be like God knowing good and evil and God says it came to be in verse 22?? its clearly written and i word it, so Im not wrong. but i'm not saying Satan is a spirit of truth either. but what you said was enlightening so thank you. but im not simple either ;)

God said that man is becoming like Us, not in that day was the golden ticket so thank you. the point is, THAT DAY, is the key i missed. and to slightly correct...

God also makes reference to the tree of life, which is needed if one is to live is missing a KEY element. and that's for "...them to live to the eons". Just for them to live? they lived on to have 3 more children by name and obviously many more. so it's not like they died THAT DAY. But they wont live to the eons till after the Resurrection.  :) :) :) so i got it. thanks

Eugene
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 11:35:39 PM by newgene87 »

Joel

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 12:25:10 AM »

Satan is a liar, and loves to lie on God, using scripture if it is a means to beguile and cause someone to miss the mark in serving God.
There are tons of ministers out there that Satan is using to deceive the masses, is he lording it over God? No! he is being used of God just like he has been used from the beginning.
Satan used parts of Psalms 91:11-12 when he tempted Jesus in the wilderness Matthew 4:5-6.
A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

Joel

Gina

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 02:14:38 AM »

Satan is a liar, and loves to lie on God, using scripture if it is a means to beguile and cause someone to miss the mark in serving God.
There are tons of ministers out there that Satan is using to deceive the masses, is he lording it over God? No! he is being used of God just like he has been used from the beginning.
Satan used parts of Psalms 91:11-12 when he tempted Jesus in the wilderness Matthew 4:5-6.
A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

Joel

Perfect reminder.

gregorydc

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 08:50:51 AM »

Just a thought here, I was always told that a good liar uses 90% truth. So satan is the father of lies, maybe that is the reason of your confusion? Because he is the father of lies he is perfect at his job. Hope this helps.
Greg

dave

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 02:56:01 PM »

I don't see where "Adam and Eve knew they were not eat of this tree, that demonstrates a knowledge of good and evil?" The man was commanded or charged not to eat, okay he had knowledge, but the woman was not told anything except what Adam said when he saw her? So where did the woman get this knowledge?

indianabob

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 03:01:33 PM »

I don't see where "Adam and Eve knew they were not eat of this tree, that demonstrates a knowledge of good and evil?" The man was commanded or charged not to eat, okay he had knowledge, but the woman was not told anything except what Adam said when he saw her? So where did the woman get this knowledge?

The woman was the responsibility of the man.
So she should have gotten the knowledge from "pillow talk" with her husband. You know how men have to brag and show off all their knowledge, well that has to be the reason.

Indiana Bob

newgene87

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 10:44:06 PM »

Ray spoke on this in one of his writings but i can not find it  :(. hopefully someone can. He mentioned that "Ye" refers to "you all" speaking of more than one person. or an irregular pural of thou. so with that in mind...

maybe it's something to, "...he (the serpent) said unto the woman". and not to the man (hmmmmm....)

"Yea, hath God said, YE shall not eat of every tree of the garden.?" And the woman said unto the serpent, WE may eat..." {and then...}..."...she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, AND GAVE ALSO UNTO HER husband WITH HER; and he did eat" (Gen 3:1-2, 6)

"paying attention to the words" is like my favorite method now. As we can see, Adam WAS with her, but it was the Serpent that spoke to the woman first. maybe because she was "the weaker vessell" (??) [1 Pet 3:7]

Back to them having knowledge deal...I mean how could they really have "knowledge" when it was "knowledge" or better yet, "sense or perception" that was ONLY from that Tree? Well from the words of Ray, from the 2nd paper in the Lake of Fire series

It was not possible for Adam and Eve NOT TO SIN -- they were created for the express purpose of being molded into the "image of God;" and so of course, they had to eat of the forbidden tree of the knowledge of good and evil or they would have NEVER reached this first spiritual step in becoming LIKE GOD (in His IMAGE,) a step of paramount DIVINE REQUISITE:

"And the LORD God said, Behold [consider, to perceive, to know, to understand], the man is BECOME AS ONE OF US [Hebrew for ‘God’ is elohiym which is the plural of elowahh, hence ‘us’], TO KNOW GOOD AND EVIL..." (Gen. 3:22).

Knowing "good and evil" is one of the most essential requisites in being formed in the image of God. To truly "know" both good and evil they HAD to partake of its source, which was the "TREE of the knowledge of good and evil," which then DEMANDED that they SIN in order to obtain this "knowledge." NO OTHER TREE IN THE GARDEN POSSESSED THIS NEEDED KNOWLEDGE!

I was reminded of two scriptures in Job containing this thought -

"Who is this that darkens counsel by words WITHOUT knowledge? (Job 38:2)
"Willing to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm. (1 Timothy 1:7)

and these verses are in DIRECT relation to the words of the woman,

"and the woman said to the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden (and she missed when God said, "mayest eat FREELY" 2:16); but of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, God has said, ye shall not eat of it, and ye shall not touch it, lest ye die (God said, "DYING, thou shall die" 2:17)" (Genesis 3:2-3) -- she omitted "eat freely" and added "shall not touch it, lest ye die"

surely, SHE HAD WORDS WITHOUT KNOWLEDGE AND DESIRING TO TELL THE SERPENT OF THE LAW OF GOD, NOT UNDERSTANDING WHAT SHE WAS SAYING. Adam stood there fooled as well, cause he didnt know either. he had LIFE (or the "breath of life") without knowledge. Just as Job, the Woman - "...hath spoken without knowledge, and his (her) words were without wisdom. (Job 34:35). and it falls back on that state of man..."OH THAT THERE WERE SUCH AN HEART IN THEM, THEY THEY WOULD FEAR ME, AND KEEP ALL MY COMMANDMENTS ALWAYS" (Deuteronomy 5:29). Maybe the serpent knew that the Man would easily do what the woman was doing, out of fervent love for her.

Now this was a revelation JUST NOW typing all this. I would love some critiques and hopefully i stayed faithful to the scriptures. It is possible to have words without knowledge, as seen in those scriptures. And Adam was right along with her, just seems the target was the Woman, and she was beguiled. I dont understand HOW or WHY they would be APART from each other. As said at the end of chapter 2, he was to... "CLEAVE unto his wife". and even he sayed, "The woman whom Thou didst place with me--she hath given to me of the tree--and I do eat.'

well this is just my thinking and again, "paying attention to the words".

Eugene
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:46:40 PM by newgene87 »

mharrell08

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 11:52:39 PM »

surely, SHE HAD WORDS WITHOUT KNOWLEDGE AND DESIRING TO TELL THE SERPENT OF THE LAW OF GOD, NOT UNDERSTANDING WHAT SHE WAS SAYING.

The Lord confronted Job in Job 38 by asking, rhetorically, who gives counsel without knowledge. That is not like Eve at all.

Eve knew (as in had knowledge of) that fact she was not to eat of the tree of knowledge. That is a form of knowing right from wrong. But Eve and Adam both desired the fruit of the tree more than they desired to obey God.

Adam and Eve gave into their carnal flesh. And it was only after they partook of the fruit, and 'looked back', that they saw themselves for what they are [the Beast] and were ashamed.

All the stories in the Bible are the same, every last one of them, from Genesis to Revelation. Just like all the parables told by Jesus are the same. Same message, different time/place/people.

newgene87

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 12:26:37 AM »

The Lord confronted Job in Job 38 by asking, rhetorically, who gives counsel without knowledge. That is not like Eve at all.

So i'm guessing in other parts, his friends were saying something rhetorical?

"Therefore doth Job open his mouth in vain; he multiplieth words without knowledge." (Job 35:16) --- and regarding in Vain, you see she omitted "eat FREELY of all the trees" and then added, "shall not touch, lest you die" [adding and taking away?]. she opened her mouth in vain....

"Then Job answered the LORD, and said...Who is he that hideth counsel without knowledge? therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not." (Job 42:1-3)

Even Ray said it was required for them to take the first step into becoming the image of God by partaking of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. so you're saying they had knowledge of right (good) and wrong (evil) BEFORE they ate?

I'm still not seeing how they had a "knowledge (perception, sense)" of something - before they partook of the only tree which had that needed knowledge (as Ray said). And then it's not seen that scripture declares people to have words without knowledge? They "heard" what God said, but how could they "understand to keep it" seeing, (1) they didnt have the heart and (2) it was God's intention to eat of it. Maybe the means for this to happen was for them to NOT have the knowledge needed for the commandment......well, a scriptural journey of "knowledge" and a "fool"

~ "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: FOOLS despise wisdom and INSTRUCTION (...shall not eat) (Pro 1:7)

~ "O that they had a heart, that they would fear me..." (Deut 5:29)

~ "The way of a FOOL is right in (her) own eyes (first part of Genesis 3:6); but he that is wise hearkens unto counsel" (Pro 12:15) ---- and who is he that "darkens counsel BY words without knowledge??

and

"For my people is foolish, they have not known me; they are sottish children, and they have none understanding: they are wise to do evil, but to do good they have no knowledge (Jer 4:22) -- this refers to people AFTER eating of the tree, so just imagine BEFORE eating.

But it's okay. I'll put that to rest. Still learning, still growing, still love the Scriptures. And Satan deceives. I pray to be Grounded in the Love of Christ to be more than Conquerers. Thanks  :)

Eugene
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 12:40:53 AM by newgene87 »

John from Kentucky

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 12:58:12 AM »

Jesus taught that sin comes from within us, from our hearts.

Eve sinned before she ate the fruit.  She lusted for it, from her heart, when she looked upon it, before she ate.

Ray discusses that point in his 2nd Lake of Fire article, a little ways down from the top.

http://bible-truths.com/lake2.html

newgene87

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 01:13:11 AM »

Jesus taught that sin comes from within us, from our hearts.

Eve sinned before she ate the fruit.  She lusted for it, from her heart, when she looked upon it, before she ate.

Ray discusses that point in his 2nd Lake of Fire article, a little ways down from the top.

http://bible-truths.com/lake2.html

oh that's a principle that i understood a while ago. I'm still not seeing they had knowledge before they ate of the tree. Ray pointed out they couldnt obey for, "oh that they had such an heart, to FEAR me..." (Deu 5:29). "fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge" - they clearly did not have the fear of God, but were foolish - "fools to despise wisdom and instruction (...you shall NOT eat)" (Prov 1:7). And it's "out of the heart that proceeds....EVIL THOUGHTS (not knowledge), FOOLISHNESS" (Mark 7:22). she truly did not..."...understand what she was saying, or what she was confidently affirming" (1Tim 1:7). At least i see it from among the many scriptures i presented. but aye, it's okay. The point is, the tree was vital for man to become the image of God. truly, For the eons, the tree of Life will be available to the nations :) :) (Rev 22:2)

and i'm just realizing; i QUOTED from that paper in my comment above ;). i was reading that today and that's what brought this understanding to my mind. but Ray said nothing of prior knowledge. He hinted the opposite, "To truly "know" both good and evil they HAD to partake of its source, which was the "TREE of the knowledge of good and evil," which then DEMANDED that they SIN in order to obtain this "knowledge." NO OTHER TREE IN THE GARDEN POSSESSED THIS NEEDED KNOWLEDGE"
Eugene
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 01:32:55 AM by newgene87 »

newgene87

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 01:31:07 AM »

i found this interesting too...they didnt even KNOW they were naked.....

"And (1) the eyes of them both were opened, and (2) they knew that they were naked (Gen 3:7)

"and knowest not that thou art... blind, and naked" (Rev 3:17)

That's interesting to know and perceive a Law of God but don't even know you're naked. So if they were naked, they were blind - naked, exposed to tempation (too easy) and blind to what God had said. They didnt know; they were blind and naked. As said, they didnt see till afterwards and they looked back. i just had to share that. like i said, STILL GROWING. In his word

mharrell08

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 01:36:14 AM »

Eugene, what is your point?

First you argue that Satan told some truth, even though he is referred to as the father of lies.

Then Eve was unable to know good/evil even though she specifically told Satan what was good and not good to do in the garden.

Then after every comment, you make a point about being open to learning yet you are obviously not. You seem to want to explain your revelations and only want to hear someone agree with you. That's not how this forum works and also the key reason we don't allow teaching on the forum.

newgene87

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 01:44:13 AM »

Eugene, what is your point?

First you argue that Satan told some truth, even though he is referred to as the father of lies.

Then Eve was unable to know good/evil even though she specifically told Satan what was good and not good to do in the garden.

Then after every comment, you make a point about being open to learning yet you are obviously not. You seem to want to explain your revelations and only want to hear someone agree with you. That's not how this forum works and also the key reason we don't allow teaching on the forum.

wow. whether you believe it or not; i take EVERYTHING everyone says and apply it to my understanding. isnt a "forum discussion" the point to SHARE thoughts? so we cant share thoughts? by all means, judge them and I will learn; AND I DO LEARN....but that was uncalled for. So the devil also lied when he quoted Psalm 91:11-12 in Luke 4:10-11??? No, but Jesus rebuked him telling him, "thou shalt not TEMPT the Lord..." not lie to him. Submitting is not a problem though after this

Eugene

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 02:31:56 AM »

Did they "know" they were naked in Gen 2:25?  There was nothing wrong with their eyes.  They could look at themselves and each other and "see".  They were unashamed.  Why?  Because they didn't know any better or different.  They had no knowledge of good and evil.

Did Eve "know" about the tree?  It was planted in the middle of the garden so they would not miss it, and it looked awful good to them.  Did Eve come to know about the commandment?  Yes, she did.  Did she know what was in her heart to do?  Yes, "And seeing is the woman that the tree is good for food, and that it brings a yearning to the eyes, and is to be coveted as the tree to make one intelligent."  Lust of the Flesh, Lust of the Eye, the Pride of Life.  So we can't say Eve knew nothing.  She knew the tree, she knew the commandment, she knew what was in her heart to do.  When the temptation came, she did what was in her heart to do. 

The CLV translates Gen 3:7 And unclosing are their eyes, they two, and knowing are they that they are naked. And sewing are they fig leaves and making for themselves girdle skirts."  No longer not knowing better or different.  No longer 'unashamed'.  The knowledge of Good and Evil.

The LORD removes them from the garden and tells them what life is going to be like.  That is the EXPERIENCE of evil "whereby to humble" them, all the days of their lives.  There is also the knowledge of Good in the fruit of the tree.  It doesn't come without the knowledge of evil.  Niether does the knowledge of evil come without the knowledge of good.  It takes both.

One more thought that might be helpful, assuming any of the above has been.   :-\  God doesn't 'allow' evil, or 'turn evil into good', but INTENDS evil FOR good.  He's never thwarted, and always wins in the end.

One more more thought.  It's 'preacher talk' to always equate obedience and disobedience with good and evil.  They are not always the same things.  GOOD and EVIL are the big picture.  Eve disobeyed and that is an evil, but "...grief and the groaning of your pregnancy..." is an evil, but not disobedience. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 03:12:43 AM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 23 queries.