bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sifting as wheat?  (Read 4754 times)

newgene87

Sifting as wheat?
« on: August 28, 2012, 05:48:03 PM »

"And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift as wheat:"

What did Jesus mean about "sift as wheat"?? I know Jesus, by his winnowing shovel, will thoroughly purge his floor, gather his wheat and burn the chaff (Mat 3:12)...and if i can remember this deals with the elect (??), what did He mean by "Satan sifting as wheat"? I saw the contrast this morning and i have no clue what sifting is.

Thanks
Eugene

Kat

Re: Sifting as wheat?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 10:22:12 PM »

Hi Eugene,

Luke 22:31  And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has desired you, that he may siftG4617 you as wheat.

Thayer Definition:
1) to sift, shake in a sieve
2) fig. by inward agitation to try one’s faith to the verge of overthrow

This is just another analogy to show what Satan is capable of. It's interesting that Paul says to delivery someone that was sinning (fornication) "to Satan for the destruction of the flesh."

1Co 5:5  to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Think how sifting wheat is removing the chaff, and Paul says Satan destoryes the flesh, chaff - flesh.

Also think of Job and what Satan put him through. Satan is a cunning serpent (Gen 3:1), a roaring lion, seeking someone he may devour (1 Peter 5:8). These are all analogies that show the character of Satan and what he is capable of. He is the "evil one." But we do not have to fear him.

1John 5:18  We know that whosoever is begotten of God sinneth not; but he that was begotten of God keepeth himself, and the evil one toucheth him not. (ASV)

mercy, peace and love
Kat

onelovedread

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 10:32:12 PM »

Jesus was saying Satan wanted to "try" Peter to "agitate" him or to see whether after his sifting, anything of faith would remain, or whether everything left would be mere chaff (faithless talk and empty profession). Jesus likened the process to that of a farmer who sifts wheat.
In ancient Israel the process of sifting the wheat was the last stage in preparing the harvest. The sifting occurred once the wheat had been gathered in and winnowed (tossed in the air to remove the chaff). The wheat was gathered up off the floor or ground and shaken in a sieve to remove the rocks, dirt and other debris that may have been gathered in with the kernels of wheat.

newgene87

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 11:01:14 PM »

yes  ;D ;D thank you kat. That post brought bout 20 scriptures to my mind which totally agreed ;D. Thank you

and thank you for the history lesson onelove :). that was more of what i was looking for and it put all the pieces together.

So sifting, or "destruction of the flesh" or "chaff" is needful :) :). Thank you

Eugene
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.