bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: going to heaven/hell when one dies  (Read 11514 times)

dave

going to heaven/hell when one dies
« on: September 01, 2012, 08:10:29 PM »

Just wondering(and it may be elementary) but when and how did the teaching get started, that when we die, they either go to heaven or hell?
I mean, is there some verse of scripture that says anything close or like that? Were verses just pressed together? Or just interpreted and accepted for comfort and hate?
How can something like that be made a teaching without verse and scripture? It just seems to bring comfort to some and sorrow and fear to others.
I know about Calvin, Edwards, Moody, and such, but just when and mostly HOW did such a teaching become such a powerful and accepted understanding, when The Bible and Jesus loudly proclaim love?
Thank you all

newgene87

Re: going to heaven/hell when one dies
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 10:24:48 PM »

Maybe this is related to your question - but this is an exerpt from Ray's Paper, "The Christian Hell, is an Christian Hoax". He shows how the teaching got started which is from Egypt, the Mother of superstitions and religious doctrines of the afterlife.

THE COURT OF OSIRIS IN THE EGYPTIAN UNDERWORLD

"Before coming into the courtroom the dead person had to pass a labyrinth of gates and doors and answer questions correctly to pass through. The lion-god Aker let him through the last gate and he was facing the fourteen members of the jury in the Tribunal Hall. There he was allowed to speak about his behavior on Earth. (Shown in the upper left in the picture above). Then god Anubis took him into the courtroom presenting him the scale where his heart would be put in balance with the feather of the goddess M�at, patroness of truth and harmony. The procedure was recorded by Thoth - the god of writing and wisdom. Sometimes Thoth's animal (a baboon) was sitting on top of the scale ready to adjust the result using a sliding weight.

If the heart of the deceased wasn't too heavy with sins from his life on Earth, he went through and could continue his voyage to the afterlife and was granted a plot of land in the "Field of the Reeds". This was the paradise for the ancient Egyptians - to grow crops for eternity in a land that was the very image of the Nile Valley they just had left. If he failed the test on the other hand - his heart was immediately devoured by the beast Ammut sitting under the scale. In that case the dead faced the most horrible future imaginable for the Egyptians - he was denied an eternal life in the land in the West and his soul would be restless forever."

The above is a highly simplified explanation of the Egyptian Underworld. It was considerably more complex and complicated and convoluted and contradictory.

I have read whole books on the amazing complexity of the Egyptian underworld.

Suffice it to say that the Egyptians and the Greeks knew a hundred times more about their hell and judgment procedures than Christians know about theirs. The fundamentals of the Egyptian hereafter are identical to that of Christendom. Only the fanciful gods attending to the judgment of the dead differ from that of Christendom, however, the main concepts of what man is and what happens to him at death are virtually the same.

We see that the DEAD are STILL LIVING (Anything is possible in fables).

The dead Egyptians had IMMORTAL SOULS.

At the time of death, JUDGMENT took place immediately.

Good people were ushered into a place of HAPPINESS at death.

Bad people were: (a) Sentenced to ROAM AIMLESSLY, (b) were completely ANNIHILATED by being eaten by Ammut, or (c) they could be TORTURED as in fire.

Not one of these five aspects of the Egyptian Underworld has Scriptural backing, yet virtually every one of them has a place in Christian doctrine. Some will surely say: "Who would ever believe such absurd pagan nonsense?" Who? Millions and hundreds of millions and billions of Christians, that's who. Here are more proofs from history that the Christian hell was invented by the pagan Egyptians:

Saint Augustine from his writing, City of God:

"This seems to have been done on no other account, but as it was the business of princes, out of their wisdom and civil prudence, to DECEIVE THE PEOPLE in their religion; princes, under the name of religion, persuaded the people to believe those things true, which they themselves KNEW TO BE IDLE FABLES; by this means, for their own ease in government, tying them the more closely to civil society." (All CAPS emphasis is mine).

Do theologians believe that Saint Augustine lied? Or do they think he was miss-informed? Do they think he made this statement with absolutely nothing to back it up? For if Augustine's statement is true, then there is no Christian hell, for it is based on known deception on the part of the "princes" who conned the citizens into believing and fearing this monstrous lie. What do you think the two billion Christians will think and do when they find out that their leaders knew all along that the doctrine of Christian judgment is based on heathen lies straight out of Egypt?

*The Jews borrowed from the Pagans the doctrine of transmigration [reincarnation], with all its accompaniments of future retribution, and ENDLESS PUNISHMENT. And they abundantly justify the statement of Enfield, that 'the purity of the divine doctrine was corrupted among the Jews in Egypt, who, under the disguise of allegory, admitted doctrines NEVER DREAMED OF BY THEIR LAWGIVER [God through Moses] and prophets; and adopted a mystical interpretation of the law, which converted its plain meaning into a thousand IDLE FANCIES" (Doctrine of Eternal Punishment by Dr. Thomas B. Thayer. CAPS are mine).

*"Egypt has been called the 'Mother of Superstitions,' and her whole religious history shows the propriety of the appellation [her doctrines are provable superstitions]. Greeks and Romans, Lawgivers and Philosophers, acknowledge their indebtedness to her in this respect, and freely credit her with THE ORIGINAL INVENTION OF THE FABLES AND TERRORS OF THE INVISIBLE WORLD....", (Thayer, Chapt. 3, p. 4).

"It is plain enough, from their united testimony [that of the Greek writers, Herodotus, Diodorus Siculus, Plutarch, and others] , that the whole matter of judgment after death, the rewards of a good life, and the punishments of a bad life, with all the formal solemnities of trial and condemnation, ORIGINATED AND WAS PERFECTED AMONG THE EGYPTIANS, according to the peculiar character of the mythology. From them IT WAS BORROWED BY THE GREEKS, who made such change and additions as fitted the system to the genius and circumstances of that people." (Thayer, Chapt. 3, p. 4).

*"Since the multitude is ever fickle, full of lawless desires, irrational passions and violence, there is no other way to keep them in order but by the fear and terror of the invisible world; on which account out ancestors seem to me to have acted judiciously, when they CONTRIVED TO BRING INTO THE POPULAR BELIEF THESE NOTIONS OF THE GODS, AND OF THE INTERNAL REGIONS." (Polybius, B. vi 56).

*"The multitude are restrained from vice by the punishments the gods are said to inflict upon offenders, and by those terrors and threatenings which certain dreadful words and monstrous forms imprint upon their minds...For it is impossible to govern the crowd of women, and the common rabble, by philosophical reasoning, and lead them to piety, holiness and virtue � but this must be done by SUPERSTITION, OR THE FEAR of the gods, by means of fables and wonders; for the thunder, the aegis, the trident, the torches (of the Furies), the dragons, etc., are ALL FABLES as is also ALL ANCIENT THEOLOGY. These things the legislators used as scarecrows to terrify the childish multitudes." (Strabo, Geography, B. I).

*"For as we sometimes cure the body with unwholesome remedies, when such as are most wholesome produce no effect, so we restrain those minds with FALSE RELATIONS, which will not be persuaded by the truth. There is necessity, therefore, of instilling the dread of those foreign torments....[the word 'foreign' usually implied Egyptian]" (Timaeus Locrus, the Pythagorean).

Dr. Thayer gives us quotes (Ch. 3, p. 6) from following ancient philosophers:

Seneca--Roman stoic philosopher who lived at time of Christ: "Those things which make the internal regions terrible, the darkness, the prison, the river of flaming fire, the judgment seat, etc., are ALL A FABLE with which the poets amuse themselves and by them agitate us with vain terrors."

Sextus Empiricus call the teachings, "poetic fables of hell."

Cicero - Roman statesman, orator, and philosopher call them, "silly absurdities and fables."

Truly, combinend with the fact, Scripture and Jesus speaks on Judgment from God - men couldnt help themselves sticking their hands in the cookie jar of translations and tweeking what they could. I praise God for L Ray Smith

Hope that Helped. If anything, read those 3 surrounding papers. Ray nails this idea
Eugene

dave

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 11:03:21 PM »

Thanks I've read that, but mainly I was wondering, because I am somewhat sure that a good many on the forum has come out of some denomination that taught the teaching, and I was wondering if they had heard how it's put together, in the denominations understanding.

I mean there are so many TV evangelists(I use that term lightly) that comfort and bring sorrow by the teaching.

I know that the Pentecost and Baptist denomination thrive on the human emotion, of teaching how loved ones are damned to a hell if they never accepted Jesus, and that loved ones who die knowing Jesus are in heaven now. I know the Bible does not teach that, but they must use verses and scripture from the Bible to sway them into believing such comforting.

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 11:39:55 PM »

We heard this one quite a bit:

To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. 

Of course, the Bible doesn't actually SAY that, not even in KJV english.

Another one..."Today thou shalt be with Me in paradise." 

The 'go to heaven/hell' when you die thing I think was just pretty much 'assumed'.  Even the 'resurrection' was taught as bodies rising and joining with spirits or souls, which always seemed like a DEMOTION to me, rather than something Paul describes as our great Hope.  As an ex-southern baptist, that's about the best I can tell you.

I can only add, not all Baptists (and not even all southern baptists) believe the exact same thing.  There are denominations of christendom that do teach the dead are in the grave awaiting resurrection.  Some of them may be baptists.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 02:04:22 AM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

dave

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 12:36:15 AM »

Yes Dave I must agree, it is the "assuming" that makes the whole idea appealing and acceptable. Yet it is amazing to me, that other than the two examples you gave,(which are weak at most) they have no solid verse or scripture to explain why they believe.
I mean for such a belief, you would think that they would have in the Bible at least one verse, something Jesus or Paul said or wrote other than "absent from the body" when Paul was absent from the body and was still here on terra firma and not dead,(they can't even see that) and "paradise" when the word is only used 3 times, and is not explained just where paradise is.
Example...Rev 2:7  He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.
Those who must know, will not even take the time to tell folks it's a park.
 Thanks my friend.

Gina

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 12:40:46 AM »

I know the Bible does not teach that, but they must use verses and scripture from the Bible to sway them into believing such comforting. ~Micah

They do not use scripture backup.  This was answered in Eugene's reply:  Not one of these five aspects of the Egyptian Underworld has Scriptural backing, yet virtually every one of them has a place in Christian DOCTRINE. ~Ray [emphasis mine]

From Definitions.net:
Doctrine(noun)
teaching, instruction
that which is taught, what is held, put forth AS TRUE [only, it's NOT true!] . . .

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 01:13:06 AM »

I'm sorry, Gina...but they DO use scripture to back up what isn't true.  They use it very poorly, however--contradicting, misquoting, carnally understanding, etc.   Many 'preachers' wouldn't know what the Egyptians believed, and if they did, they would see it as "wisdom".  Or if they saw it as foolishness, it would be mostly in the details.  "We" know better now...when people die, they go to heaven or Hell...if not now, eventually.

Here's some emails on the 'absent from the body/present with the Lord argument:

www.Bible-Truths.com/bible-truths.com/email16.htm#absent

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,1736.0.html

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3202.0.html

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3138.0.html

And from the FAQ concerning 'today thou shalt be with me in paradise':

www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic%2c11614.0.html
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 01:30:32 AM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Gina

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 01:29:06 AM »

That's not scripture, then, Dave.  That's all I'm saying.

I'm out.  But before I leave...  he he,  Jesus answered and said unto them, You do err, NOT knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 01:31:07 AM by Gina »

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 01:32:22 AM »

Understood.

newgene87

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 01:36:15 AM »

Ironically, the 5 concepts from that Egypt story ALL can be pulled from the "Rich Man and Lazarus" Parable and it just caught my eye. I think this is one of the top things the church uses to scare people with hell.

We see that the DEAD are STILL LIVING (Anything is possible in fables). {...and it came to pass, that the beggar died...the rich man also died....and he CRIED and said... cool my tongue..." Luke 16:22, 24 -  and continued talking....}

The dead Egyptians had IMMORTAL SOULS. {"...i am tormented in this flame..." Luke 16:24 - yet keeps talking...}

At the time of death, JUDGMENT took place immediately. {"...remember that thou in thy lifetime received thy good thing, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented." Luke 16:25}

Good people were ushered into a place of HAPPINESS at death. {"...the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom..." Luke 16:22}

Bad people were: (a) Sentenced to ROAM AIMLESSLY, (b) were completely ANNIHILATED by being eaten by Ammut, or (c) they could be TORTURED as in fire. {"and in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments...I am tormented in this flame...lest they also come into this place of torment."}

So with that, can we really blame the church?? That parable just lays out the blueprint for the afterlife of the bible. I do remember one church using this parable to justify their teaching. besides the fact this is a PARABLE, they still dont even know the true use of a parable. ive also heard them connect "and the smoke of their torment (this was the rich man and any guilty sinner) ascends up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day and night..." Revelation 14:11. Truly, i'm thankful that i finally read Ray's paper explaining the parable, even though its very lengthy -- that parable is the ammo for preachers of hell. and then they throw in, "and these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal" (Matt 25:46). I feel bad for the followers of these preachers; "blind leading the blind" -- it's sad. Sadly, they CAN use the bible, to their own pleasure as i just did-- THANK GOD FOR BIBLE-TRUTHS.COM!! It may take time, but Ray nails them all :). Obviously there are problems with the translations "ever and ever" and "eternal" for one and interpretations. May we all continue to grow in truth

Eugene
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 02:13:31 AM by newgene87 »

Gina

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 01:48:00 AM »

... back in.  hehe.

If by blame the church you mean "judge," Eugene, then remember that judgment is on the house of God now.  And judgment sets crooked things right.

When thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness.  Isaiah 26:9

Know you not that we will judge angels? 
(... or messengers, but not messengers of God, IMHO).

Okay.  Sorry.  I'm done. :)

santgem

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 04:07:11 AM »

Lazarus and the Rich man...   It is this powerful teaching that they believed that when one dies they will go either to heaven or hell.

Lazarus and the Rich man is a parable and we are very lucky that through Ray did reveal to us all believers the significant and hidden truth about this parable.

dave

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 10:40:46 AM »

... back in.  hehe.

If by blame the church you mean "judge," Eugene, then remember that judgment is on the house of God now.  And judgment sets crooked things right.

When thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness.  Isaiah 26:9

Gina I believe you spoke just what Christian preachers and teachers do, and that is they are judging, using human logic, common sense, and human emotions to comfort rather than speak the truth.

Joh 8:14  "Even if I am giving testimony about myself," replied Jesus, "my testimony is true; for I know where I came from and where I am going, but you know neither of these two things.
Joh 8:15  You judge according to appearances: I am judging no one.

And that very teaching that is not true, keeps those who accept it, in a fear of dying. Thanks

Kat

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 11:54:17 AM »

Oh the church has plenty of Bible verses to use to back up their doctrine of an hell as the punishment of the wicked. They take Bible translations as being the Word of God and not able to be corrupted with huge errors to the degree that it would mislead the majority... try to convince a devout church going Christian of that the whole church is decieved.

Anywhere that the Bible speaks of a place of eternal or everlasting punishment/damnation/destruction to them can only mean one thing... hell.

Mat 25:46  And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Mat 25:41  Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Mark 3:29  But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:

2Th 1:9  Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

There are quite a few place that the Bible speaks of unquenchable fire, tormented with fire and brimstone and fiery indignation. When these verses are presented as proof along with a colorfully descriptive sermon on what they say it means, yeah people believe it. Anyway who are they the question their god's chosen Representative? Jush try it and see how far you get.

Luke 3:17  Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.

Rev 14:10-11  The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

Mar 9:47-48  And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Heb 10:26-27  For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

Of course hearing these things are truth over and over with the Bible verses right there to prove it, is a form of brainwashing that really works. Not only do these people not have someone like Ray to point out all the Bible errors, they also are taught Satan uses someone like him to trick them, so they will go to hell. It's a very entrenched deception that can only be shattered at Christ's return.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

dave

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 12:03:58 PM »

I can see and understand how they teach about a "hell" of everlasting torment, but where are the verses that say with all "their folksy and colorful descriptions" the proof that those who are "saved" go to heaven when they die?
I know that Luke 16 is their mainstay, but where are others?

Gina

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 01:18:23 PM »

Micah, there are none.  That's what Ray already said.  There are no scriptures to back up their false notions of an evil God who tortures people for ever and ever.

Bible verses?  Sure!  However, there is no scripture to backup their false claims.  They can tempt people to believe their false claims using "scripture" and they can even deceive people, but I'll say it again:

This was answered in Eugene's reply:  Not one of these five aspects of the Egyptian Underworld has Scriptural backing, yet virtually every one of them has a place in Christian DOCTRINE. ~Ray

The truth is never taught in the churches.  Never. 
... back in.  hehe.

Gina I believe you spoke just what Christian preachers and teachers do, and that is they are judging, using human logic, common sense, and human emotions to comfort rather than speak the truth.

Joh 8:14  "Even if I am giving testimony about myself," replied Jesus, "my testimony is true; for I know where I came from and where I am going, but you know neither of these two things.
Joh 8:15  You judge according to appearances: I am judging no one.

And that very teaching that is not true, keeps those who accept it, in a fear of dying. Thanks

Micah, I'm sorry.  You keep looking for scripture backup to support the false doctrine of a "christian hell and afterlife of eternal torture."  Why are you doing that?   False workers don't use scripture.  They ABUSE scripture, if anything, and select "bible" verses.

You're not going to find the scriptural support you are seeking, because there are no scriptures to support it.

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 01:45:23 PM »

Gina, Let's not argue over words.  It's clear that "bible-verses" are used to support false doctrine.  Much of what Ray wrote is in teaching what these bible-verses mean.  So it's a valid question to ask what bible verses christian theology uses to teach that saved people go to heaven when they die.

Specifically what Ray said in the quote is "Not one of these five aspects of the Egyptian Underworld has Scriptural backing..."  Theologians and preachers have not thrown away their bibles to teach Egyptian theology.  I don't reckon anybody genuinely believes in Horus and company any more.  These five aspects HAVE "biblical verse" backing in Christian theology.

That was the question.  It's a good one.  If it wasn't, there would be no B-T as there would be no need to 'come out of her, my people'.   

dave

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 02:28:51 PM »

I am an unfinished piece of clay, I do not even come close in understanding the Potter's reasons and wisdom as to why I am still here.
Yet in my heart I am disturbed as to why the teaching of going to heaven or hell when you die is so accepted by regular people who own and read their Bible's. The going to the "hell" they hear on TV and read in their Bible translation can easily be understood by the verses Kat gave.
That is disturbing as it is, to accept, want, and desire a human being to suffer like that, while they feel safe in their heaven thoughts and are grateful it is not them. The teaching does not and cannot reveal the Love of God.
So I was just wondering on what Bible grounds do they verify their heaven journey from the Bible. Is the teaching just formed from an opposite of damnation teaching and needs no sound doctrine?

Gina

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 02:48:21 PM »

Gina, Let's not argue over words.  It's clear that "bible-verses" are used to support false doctrine.  Much of what Ray wrote is in teaching what these bible-verses mean.  So it's a valid question to ask what bible verses christian theology uses to teach that saved people go to heaven when they die.

Specifically what Ray said in the quote is "Not one of these five aspects of the Egyptian Underworld has Scriptural backing..."  Theologians and preachers have not thrown away their bibles to teach Egyptian theology.  I don't reckon anybody genuinely believes in Horus and company any more.  These five aspects HAVE "biblical verse" backing in Christian theology.

That was the question.  It's a good one.  If it wasn't, there would be no B-T as there would be no need to 'come out of her, my people'.   

You're saying I'm splitting hairs is what you're saying.  Micah's asking what SCRIPTURE there is to SUPPORT the hell doctrine.  And some of you are coming in back and saying -- Welllll duh yup--well let's see here, Micah, we got this scripture and we got that scripture.   And so you may as well be saying -- Yep, there is scripture to support that doctrine.  It totally astounds me!  There is NOT ONE scripture to support the hell doctrine.

Gina

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 02:51:25 PM »

I've removed my comment upon further consideration. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 03:48:04 PM by Gina »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.